What's new

America's Got Talent (1 Viewer)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone watching this!? There were two acts this week which just had me floored. Really good finds, and perhaps one of them will be the next Susan Boyle:

1) Thia Megia...she is 13, but her voice sounds at least 10 years older. It's quite impressive.

2) Kevin Skinner...an unemployed chicken catcher who also has a voice that just stops you in your tracks.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Yup, when I heard Thia (she's actually 14) I thought of one person-Judy Garland. Little girl-big voice. She's going places. I wonder if she would qualify for American Idol since she has been on this show.
Kevin was pretty good too. I also liked the young kid that did the magic act (floating microphone). He had alot of showmanship.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We're watching (wife and I). 1st season was great. 2nd season interested me next. This season is off to a good start, though no one really excites me as a winner, yet. Well, there were two magicians that were fun.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I can't watch it this season.
Seems like they have amped up the quick cut editing to a new level of
seizure inducing possibilities.

I watched season 1 and don't remember these super quick cuts.

I would like to see the actual act for more then 2 seconds at a clip
without the shots of the judges and crowd mixed in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It will slow down when the auditions are over. For the Vegas acts and beyond, they show the complete acts with much less editing.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm having trouble watching the show in a single sitting. I'm actually speeding through it just to skip over the filler material. It's like they're trying to emulate the success of the British version of the show, except that the British had legitimate talent on the stage, and Ant and Dec did a great job of hosting the show.

Nope. I think I'll skip the American version. It's very, very bad this year.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I made it through 1 1/2 shows. It's mostly a freakshow. I didn't even see anyone with any real talent -- lots of kids doing stuff that's only somewhat remarkable because they are kids, and then... nada.

But it's the judges that are really turning me off -- I have no idea what qualifies Hasselhoff or Osbourne to be a talent judge, and they are usually annoying to listen to, but Morgan is the worst judge on reality TV. I constantly want to punch him in the face. A total blowhard idiot who keeps talking authoritatively about America likes when a) he's British, b) he has no taste, and c) he's stupid as all getout and never knows what he's talking about. This is the worst judging panel on any talent show I've seen. Then again, this is the worst talent on any talent show I've seen since The Gong Show.

Oh, and I assumed that Nick Canon was one of those naturally funny guys who ooze charisma. But he's actually a total stiff. I'm not a fan of Mariah Carey nor do I find her in any way attractive, but what the hell did she see in Nick Canon? He constantly looks like he just woke up and is looking for a cup of coffee except for the few times he's mugging furiously into the camera.

I made it through the entire season of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, but AGT is too awful to sit through.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

But it's the judges that are really turning me off -- I have no idea what qualifies Hasselhoff or Osbourne to be a talent judge, and they are usually annoying to listen to, but Morgan is the worst judge on reality TV.
Piers has gone soft this season. Past seasons, he was the most discriminating of the three. They showed some interesting arguments between him and Sharon, as she would let through untalented misfits, simply because they were differently-abled. And he argued vehemently that some modicum of talent was needed.

This year, he's more lax about what he's accepting.

I'm curious what's at Vegas. Many of the acts shown in Vegas are given only cursory treatment at the audition shows. And some of the highlighted auditions are expanded and varied for the Vegas show.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I can only watch via DVR. I have to ff through most of the show. But, there are some stunning performers. Last nights' cancer survivor character was wonderful, however I thought the perky little kid character needed more work.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was completely baffled by your post. Last night's episode didn't have those performances!? Except last night I watched last week's on Tivo. Now I'm playing back last nights show; finishing with the opera singer / cancer survivor. I agree the litle girl needs improvement; my wife observes that she could do a good vaudevillian act, reducing the limitations of her singing.

My fave was the granny comic. And maybe the acrodunks.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Barbara Padilla was the cancer survivor, and she was the only opera type singer I've seen so far this season. Should be interesting to see how they judge such a variety of acts.

Here's the clip to the comic granny for anyone who missed her! Even a little improv post-performance in her talks with the judges.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks