America's Cup 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PS Nystrom, Feb 9, 2003.

1. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Any interest in the America's Cup 2003 on the forum? I've been out of the loop for a while and was just wondering what the big stories of the Challengers Cup were? Found out a Swiss team won, but how did eveyone else do? This is the second America's Cup to not include an American team, correct? What's up with that?

Pieter

edit: here's ESPN2's television sched. for the Cup: http://msn.espn.go.com/tvlistings/s/...upchedule.html

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I haven't been following it at all, but it's been on OLN for the last few months, it's hard not to. I've watched a couple races just trying to figure out the strategies and the rules. I think the starts are very interesting, very chess like. Anyway, the Swiss beat the one American team in the finals so I guess they go on to challenge the Kiwis when the actual Cup race is on, whenever that is..

Jay

3. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

The first America's Cup race will be televised at 4PM (PST) on Fri the 14th. Valentine's Day.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I followed the Louis Vuitton Cup (the challenger finals, the winner goes on to the America's Cup) on OLN. The challengers were a Swiss outfit "Alinghi" and "Oracle" funded by Oracle founder Larry Ellison. Both teams had Kiwi aftergaurd members previously associated with the New Zealand America's Cup winning teams.

I love watching these races especially the chess like strategy of the pre-start. I've been following these races since the Cup went Down Under in the 80s and ESPN started showing the races. Its a lot of fun and anyone who has ever sailed a boat, whether it's a Laser or anything bigger, should be able to relate to what's going on in the races.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

1st race is today/tonight (on at 7pm Eastern on ESPN2 for US viewers),

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Oh my! What a disasterous start to the first race!

NZ drops out before rounding the first mark!

[​IMG]

7. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

yeah it was pretty funny.

8. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

From 20 knot winds yesterday to women basketball tonight...oh my. 6 knots of wind is the delay.

I have been watching all of the Louis Vuitton Cup and will watch all the AC as well. My only beef is that OLN doesn't get the AC races but ESPN2, which will NOT show the race more than once. OLN gave me alternatives for tivoing.

That race yesterday was, ummm, interesting. I hope that isn't a harbinger of things to come.

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Comcast's signal of OLN is horrid, so I can't complain about ESPN2. However, the whole AC campaign is out-of-control imho, very similar to most other professional sports. There are no salary caps, and the design limitations are met with insanely expensive high-tech solutions. This can sometimes give boat speed advantage to a less-qualified crew.

There are many regattas run with near-identical yachts. The crews swap boats, either after a series or after each race. This way any boat speed advantage is evened out. The emphasis is on tactics and teamwork.

Then there's the whole "Nationality" issue. Most of the Swiss Team's "Rock Stars" are New Zealanders.....

On the flip-side, the AC design work has an incredible trickle-down effect to lower-scale sailboat racers like myself.

H-ll - I'm just jealous.....