What's new

Americas Army (1 Viewer)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard how big the download for Americas Army is going to be? Does anybody plan on downloading this game tommorrow? I think it looks pretty good.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Is this the game that if you do well in it, the Army will draft you or something of the sort, ridiculous...

-Bert

Kami

Screenwriter
I thought I read somewhere you won't be able to download it? Only request CDs, or pick them up from recruiting stations or something??? I could be wrong...but I am pretty sure it is 2 CDs which will be a large download. Either way, it will make it's way online and I don't think people can call it piracy when they give the game away for free ;)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have been reading online at www.americasarmy.com they plan on letting you download the game tommorrow morning at 0001 am. The game includes single and multi-player objectives. I think it could be a hit. The game won best at E3 runner-up.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I signed up to have it sent to me for free. Looks like it could be pretty cool.

Is this the game that if you do well in it, the Army will draft you or something of the sort, ridiculous...
I'm assuming that was a joke? But with no smileys...no...they aren't going to draft you. They can't just say "hey you, your drafted now" without some official thing from congress and the pres.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I signed up for the disc awhile ago here at that site, but it seems to be gone...

Ohwell, ill probably be downloading it first anyways coz i can't wait...

Oscar_R

Second Unit
the game will be released at midnight tonight, pacific time. to all those living under a rock for the past couple decades, there is no draft. Game is based on the new Unreal
Tournament engine.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yup...downloading it now (although they are sending me the cd, might as well use my bandwidth).

Just started it, will be done in 56 minutes...god i love my cable modem.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The only thing you can do until midnight eastern time is practice marksmenship. You can't login to the website to register which I'm assuming unlocks the other parts.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Donwloaded it, went through the training missions...after you do the first 5 training missions the rest are on-line! Well that would be all fine and dandy but they only have 5 servers of the first online training mission up and each server only holds 16 people. They have all been jammed all night and morning. And on top of that the ping times are through the roof for me, nothing less than 100ms, which sucks on my cable modem.

From what I played the game looks good, sounds good, and played good. Just let the first few days go by and then give it a try.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Whoo! Downloading now... 20 minutes on DSL from Filefront.com :)

Kami

Screenwriter
Graphics look good, nice big open areas. I haven't tried it online yet but from what i've heard the lag is terrible and everyone just kills team mates.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
everyone just kills team mates.
Oh that really sucks. If they didn't think people would be doing that then they didn't prepare very well. I got an expert in marksman and want to get to sniper training! You should be able to do the online stuff with bots instead of online. I don't trust any one else online. It also really really sucks that you have to install gamespy...bah...forget it. I'll wait till the load dies down and hopefully they'll release a patch with a built in game browser.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I installed it, its kinda buggy... :frowning:
I think its running in software mode beacuse, whenever i start playing, the CPU temperature shoots way up, and its very choppy (15-ish fps?). How do i get it to run off my Geforce2GTS? I cant find the option there. :frowning:
Also, sometimes when i minimize and maximize again, i dont get the full screen, only a part of it.

Kami

Screenwriter
I think its running in software mode beacuse, whenever i start playing, the CPU temperature shoots way up, and its very choppy (15-ish fps?). How do i get it to run off my Geforce2GTS? I cant find the option there.
Well, I think this game uses the latest build of the unreal engine...so your GF2 probably won't cut it unless you turn the details and resolution down. Anything less than a GF3 is going to chug in the next generation of unreal-based games (america's army, unreal touranment 2003, unreal 2, etc.)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm running with a geforce 2 also (64mb) and have absolutely no problems. Running at 1024x768. Trainging was easy. Got an expert rating but since you have to install gamespy (no way) and play online for the next part (ughhh) I probably won't play anymore until all the annoying little kiddies give up and stop playing.

If I jump out of the game and go to my desktop or it launches the web browser the game goes to a window instead of minimizing itself, then I can't get it back full screen unless I quit it. Unreal did that to me also which annoyed me to no end.

Some of the minimun system requirements are 766Mhz P3, 128MB Ram, 32MB graphics card. I don't think there is a 'software' only mode. I've got 800Mhz p3 and 512 mb ram and 64mb video card and it runs very well I think. It says further down that it require at least a geforce 2 gts pro. I think thats stretching it a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks