What's new

"Americans In Kodachrome" - A Fantastic Treasury Of Great Photographs (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

The image above was taken by an unknown person in 1962 with a 35mm camera and Kodachrome film. Between 1945 and 1965, the color slide was the preferred method of taking pictures. We'd get out the Kodak Carousel projector, set up a screen and watch Uncle Joe and Aunt Fran, or photos of the kids taken on a summer trip to the mountains, or whatever. Editor Guy Stritcherz has put together an amazing chronicle of Americans during the post war years. He found the photos in private collections. There are 92 incredible images, rich in the intense color that Kodachrome offered. You'll probably recognize the people and situations simply because they are everybody. Notice the young girl above seems to be glowing from within, a situation caused by the lateness of the day and the golden light of the setting sun. If you are interested in photography I highly recommend this beautifully produced book. It's available at Amazon.com for $42.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The National Geographic - The Photographs book is also very good!

I can't wait until spring...picture-taking time!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
What makes this book so unusual is that all the photographs are by amateurs. No professional photographers. Just snapshots taken by ordinary people with extraordinary results.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
At the Newseum in Washington, DC, I picked up a book called 'The Pulitzer Prize Photographs.' They had an exhibit at the time (maybe they still do) of most of the winning photographs. Incredible, fantastic stuff. Many of the photographs are instantly recognizable. I don't think the book is available outside of the Newseum (it doesn't even have an ISBN number) but if you have a chance to see the exhibit or the book, do it!

EDIT: I think it is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks