Americans, are these Canadian DVD prices really that high?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Cliff, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Paul Russell over at DVD Angle is stating quite strongly that prices in Canada are higher than those in the US. Here are some samples of prices on a few recent releases (at the local Future Shop and A&B Sound).
    The Mexican $25.79 (Can) --- $16.89 (US)
    Chocolat $25.49 (Can) --- $16.69 (US)
    3000 Miles to Graceland $15.99 (Can) --- $10.47 (US)
    Enemy at the Gates $26.99 (Can) --- $17.67 (US)
    15 Minutes $24.99 (Can) --- $16.37 (US)
    Are we, in Canada, really paying a lot more for our DVDs?

2. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

No, you're not - those prices you are quoting are U.S. prices in Canadian dollars.
    RD

3. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Gary, I believe Paul Russell said that DVD prices in Canada were quite similar to that of the US except in certain cases like Criterion or Image releases which tend to be higher. The DVD prices you quoted are all by major studios and their prices tend to be the same in either country. I think Canadians have it good considering our low dollar and smaller size compared to the US.

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Prices for Warner and Fox titles are usually lower in Canada than in the US. A query on DVD Price Search almost always lists a Canadian e-tailer as the lowest price.

5. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

You really can't compare prices like that. We make on average say $60K Canadian a year, and on average, Americans make $60K US a year, then the DVD prices in canada should be the same as in the states regardless of currency (ie $17.00 a DVD in the states, the Canadian prices should be C$17.00 a DVD). Of course, MHO.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've found that looking prices up online, a DVD will be say $25 CDN and mayde $22 US-meaning that americans would do well to buy from Canada. Only exception is the Criterion discs, and I have a feeling that this is because Criterion doesn't have a Canadian distributor, so the discs we get are imports. I got Brazil criterion for I think $40 from amazon, and the only place I found it here had it for $110 CDN. Same goes for the Rock Criterion ($25 US vs 60 CDN).

7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

8. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

And I highly doubt that the average Canadian makes $60K a year.
    taxes suck.
    ------------------
    Where the heck is Plucky? HERE DUCKY DUCKY DUCKY!!!
    Magic armour is good but it tends to lose its magic without warning. Many an ancient lords last words had been " You can't kill me because I've got magic AARRGG!"
    -Interesting Times-

9. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

And, if you live in the Greater Vancouver area the Futureshop online prices of many recently released DVD's are $2 higher on the website than at the store.
    An example right now is 15 Minutes. $26.99 at Futureshop.ca and $24.99 at the local Futureshop B&M.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

10. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

A few things to point out:
    - Contrary to someone's earlier post, Canadians enjoy a higher overall standard of living than their American counterparts. Not only is converted take-home pay similar, we have universal healthcare, heavily subsidized higher education, and far superior social programs. There is no reason why prices should be the same in Canadian dollars as they are in American.
    - As it happens, Canadian DVD prices when converted into American dollars are almost invariably lower than American DVD prices. This holds particularly true if you look at our B&M pricing; in Vancouver, almost any new non-Paramount release sells for between $10.25 USD (lower-tier Warner & MGM) and $15.35 USD (top-tier Sony & Universal). Paramount releases are typically available for $17.25 USD. You're telling me this is more expensive than the US?!
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.