American Werewolf in London

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Fogerty, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

How good is this new release? I have the older release from Live. I know it is now in DD, but how is the picture quality? Is it a special edition with extra's?

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

The picture has a lot of grain, but wasn't too bad in my opinion. The DTS soundtrack was nice and so were the extras. I'd get it if you're interested in seeing the extras.
    Gregory

4. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Auditioning

The video on the LIVE DVD is far superior, IMHO. The Universal release looks washed out and grainier by comparison.
    On the other hand, the remixed sound is genuinely remastered.
    Definitely worth a buy for the sound and the supplements -- though I'd hold onto the older DVD for the transfer.

5. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

The picture on the new version of American Werewolf is indeed grainier (and maybe a little softer) than the older release. I suspect that it's more accurate, but I never saw the movie theatrically so I can't comment.
    There are quite a few extras, and I suspect many viewers will really enjoy the commentary track by David Naughton and Griffin Dunne. It struck me as a good start, actually -- I enjoyed listening to them, but they don't have a lot to say and the participation of, say, John Landis and/or Rick Baker would have livened things up a bit. (I missed Landis' commentary on The Blues Brothers, too.)
    The "outtakes" are mildly amusing but not real interesting, and the making-of documentaries, which I haven't watched in their entirety, seem interesting mainly for the vintage footage of the filmmakers. The 5.1 remix is pretty effective, but I think actually detracts from the low-key suspense in some scenes -- for instance, we now hear the werewolf moving around the sound field in some early scenes right before one of the characters notes that it's circling them. That line of dialogue should be chilling in itself, but its impact is negated by the fancy directional sound effect that precedes it. In terms of overall balance, the sound mix that you hear in the background of the commentary seems to be more accurate than the new remix.
    -bf-
    ------------------
    Bryant Frazer
    Deep Focus
    www.deep-focus.com

6. Jason Bovberg

Jason Bovberg Stunt Coordinator

Watched all of this disc last night and was pretty disappointed with the grainy, soft transfer. However, I was pleasantly surprised by a few things:
    1) Anyone else notice that the cab driver is a young Alan Ford (Bricktop from "Snatch")?
    2) On the commentary, Griffin Dunne provides a hilarious impression of John Landis, and Dunne and David Naughton joke endlessly about their crush on Jenny Agutter.
    3) Full-frontal "See You Next Wednesday" nudity in the Outtakes!

7. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Jason,
    I noticed the cabbie too! He has a pretty distinctive voice.
    Gregory

8. roy_mark

roy_mark Extra

Did anyone else spot the missing shot. During the main transformation scene, after David's face extends and before the shot of the almost fully transformed beast, there was a shot of david opening his eyes to reveal the lupine orbs.
    It's on my laserdisc, but this shot was missing on my dvd.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Hey, there's no trailer! Is it maybe hidden in? Help!

11. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor