What's new

American TV shows that only got complete disc releases in other countries (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It's nice that at least one country seems to have a significant enough population who are interested in their HD television releases actually being in HD.

I noticed that Season 9 of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot has been announced for March. That'll, technically, get that show up to a "complete series" released on BD outside of the US (since season 10 is still in it's first broadcast run). The US abandoned it on BD after season 3. The BD releases of this series from then forward are from Germany or Japan only.

I suspect such releases like ncis and h50 on bluray are probably europe wide, even if the original movie company is in Germany.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I suspect such releases like ncis and h50 on bluray are probably europe wide, even if the original movie company is in Germany.

Unlike the blu-rays for seasons 1-3, the only language options (when inserting the disc) for seasons 4 onward are English, German and Japanese. If these discs had been intended for the whole of Europe, there would have been a lot more language options (as there were on those earlier seasons and CBS's blu-rays for Star Trek: The Next Generation). These language options are mainly for menu navigation and subtitles (not necessarily soundtrack). I think CBS typically replicates all their blu-rays for a global release at the same time, and usually, they are all the same physical discs (printed in English language, and containing the ratings/censor symbols for all the countries they'll be sold in). This was true for Next Gen, it's also true for 5-0.

I would assume the main reason English is included in the menu options is because it's the originating language of the episodes themselves.

I can't speak for NCIS, but the clue will be in the language options presented when inserting the disc in the tray.

Of course, the H0 blu5-rays will be easy enough for Europeans to obtain, whether released in their local country or not.

It looks like the NCIS release is (at least for now) exclusive to Amazon Germany, because right there in the title of the listing is this:

NCIS – Blu-ray Box-Set 1 - Staffel 1 - 5 (exklusiv bei Amazon.de)

Now, will it be permanently exclusive? Who knows. Sometimes, e-tailers get a certain time-frame to have exclusivity on something. It might also be an exclusive on this particular five-season bundle, rather than potential individual seasons. At any rate, it's unlikely this will come out in the USA.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One could ask how are the NCIS broadcast in their first run in non-english speaking european countries.

If the broacast first-run episodes are not dubbed in the local non-english languages, then there probably isn't much of a local market for dvds/blurays of a show like that in the specific continental european countries where it is broadcast as english-only.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Well, here are the specs for the most recent release (season 8):

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
German: Dolby Digital 5.1 (640 kbps)
Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles
German, English SDH, Japanese

So, looks like English as well as German/Japanese dubbed audio.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So Gunsmoke got to that 20th and final go overseas? Wish it would here!

IIRC, they're the old, pre-restoration versions of the episodes.

I just ordered S20 of Gunsmoke after being reminded of that in this thread. A review of the episodes on Rauchende Colts - Volume 8 on Amazon.de has 23 of 24 episodes running between 49:06 and 49:58, with the majority in the 49:50s, which seems complete enough.

And it was only $16.

Of course, that just means S20 will be announced next week. But I can live with it.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
The German releases aren't remastered but I think they are all uncut except for Vol. 4 (season 16.)

I bought them several years ago in case we never saw them released in the US. At about $13 per season I figured it was worth taking the chance.

In any case they were certainly a welcome upgrade from the chopped up TV Land versions I had recorded on VHS.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
IIRC, they're the old, pre-restoration versions of the episodes.

I just ordered S20 of Gunsmoke after being reminded of that in this thread. A review of the episodes on Rauchende Colts - Volume 8 on Amazon.de has 23 of 24 episodes running between 49:06 and 49:58, with the majority in the 49:50s, which seems complete enough.

And it was only $16.

That's a great price for that German edition of the 20th and final go!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's insane. I wonder why that would go out of print and Seasons 1-5 are still available. Season 7 & The Alfred Hitchcock Hour haven't even been released in Region 1 yet.

Just checked Amazon again-- it has now jumped to twice that price; $355!

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
One could ask how are the NCIS broadcast in their first run in non-english speaking european countries.

If the broacast first-run episodes are not dubbed in the local non-english languages, then there probably isn't much of a local market for dvds/blurays of a show like that in the specific continental european countries where it is broadcast as english-only.
Scandinavia, Finland, Holland, Belgium and likely Luxemburg as well don't dub films or series (unless aimed at far younger audiences) and subsequent dvd/blu-ray-releases are featured with the original audio. Funnily enough, season 16 of NCIS features no subtitles for the Scandinavian market as issued on this market's DVD-release (customers will have to settle for English subtitles).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Scandinavia, Finland, Holland, Belgium and likely Luxemburg as well don't dub films or series (unless aimed at far younger audiences) and subsequent dvd/blu-ray-releases are featured with the original audio.

Is this also the case for eastern europe? (ie. Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Latvia, Ukraine, Romania, etc ...)

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Is this also the case for eastern europe? (ie. Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Latvia, Ukraine, Romania, etc ...)
To the best of my knowledge these countries would rely on dubbing or voice-over, at least that's what is usually the case with the multi-territory dvds and blu-rays that I've entered into databases. They usually also offer subtitles in said languages.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
20th and final season about too be released here in the US soon.

Yes, and an all-in-one to boot (which I'm sure many of those longtime fans and collectors will snap up on [albeit it'll be very expensive]).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks