American Tail arrives in January - Full Screen Only???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    In case you missed it, the Bits has reported that all 4 American Tale movies will be released in January. I have been waiting for this for a LONG time, and I am so excited that I will finally have it. No word on specs yet, but I am sure it will at least be in widescreen. Hoping for an animorphic transfer.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2. BrettB

BrettB Producer

From spielbergfilms.com

"October 24, 2003 Updates
    -AMERICAN TAIL, FIEVEL GOES WEST coming to DVD
    Steven Spielberg's animated features starring that lovable little mouse Fievel will finally debut on DVD this January as AN AMERICAN TAIL and FIEVEL GOES WEST: AN AMERICAN TAIL come to the digital format.

The 1986 hit and its 1991 sequel will be available on January 20 at a very reasonable suggested retail price of $14.98 (or less). The films will include English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks (as well as a French Dolby Surround track and a Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 track).

Now that's all the good news, but here's the tragic: both films will only be released in a full frame (1.33:1) pan & scan version instead of their original 1.85:1 aspect ratios. Why on Earth Amblin and Universal continue to insist on butchering their animation releases is beyond reason (these films along with THE LAND BEFORE TIME and BALTO are all full frame, sadly). If Disney sees the wisdom in releasing their animated works in their original aspect ratios, you would hope that Spielberg's company would have the same respect for the work of their artists."

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I cannot believe that. Someone start a petition or something. We have been waiting for these for so long. We deserve to have them in OAR! I still don't believe it.

4. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Hopefully the UK edition will be OAR. Balto was.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Who the hell would watch pan and scan in DTS (or even know how to get it to PLAY in DTS for that matter???)
    My laserdisc of Fievel Goes West is widescreen!

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It's a diabolically stupid idea. Universal really are the pits at the moment.

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

If Universal is releasing these films P&S only, they have lost one sale already. I would have bought the first one at least, since I think it is the best of the lot.

Obviously Universal likes to watch out for movie collector's pocket books, since they have decided that a whole market segment doesn't need to spend money on their products.

Must be a new Vivendi corporate strategy. Chase away your customers, so the company they bought from Bronfman for billions can be sold back to him for a few millions. Maybe they should change their name to UNIREVERSAL.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

I was happy to see AT 1&2 get a release but.... no o.a.r. = no sale !!! ( i always wanted to type that !) [​IMG]

10. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I was looking forward to getting these for my son. Oh well ... no oar = no sale.

My first time to type that too [​IMG]

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I won't be picking them up either. Universal really must be run by morons...

Wait...how about instead of releasing a quality product of these two movies.... were release special American Wedding Gift Set - Extended - Party Edition - With American Pie Revealed - Stiffler shirt - Jason Biggs lock of hair - whatever...

12. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

Count me in... No OAR = No Sale.

13. PeterKelly

PeterKelly Agent

I've heard that 1.33:1 was American Tail's OAR and that it may have been matted to be shown in theaters.

The original Bluth film was 1.33:1 and matted. I have no problem with this if he intended it to be seen open matte.

14. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

If they're "Pan n' scan" versions then they're not open matte (which would be not quite as painful as P&S). Anybody know which this is? I also saw "Secret of Nihm" and it was in "standard" (1.33) AR, but don't know if that was open matte either...

- JS

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

These movies were first run theatrically. If the films were matted for theatrical viewing then that is the OAR for the films. Lots of films are shot 1.33:1 but are never intended to be seen in that ratio. They are matted down for theatrical viewing.

ImDB shows a 1.85:1 aspect ratio for Don Bluth's films as follows:

The Secret of NIMH

An American Tail

An American Tail: Fieval goes West

ImDb may not be an entirely accurate source but for these films I think they are. If Universal is releasing these films P&S'd or Open Matte, it is because of money and the belief that kids don't want to see "black bars": both of which are convenient excuses not to provide proper quality transfers of these movies.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. I don't care if the film is live or animated. If the film was shown at a particular ratio in the theatre, then that is the ratio I want to watch in a home version.

I bought "APOCALYPSE NOW", and I'm not too happy that they modified the ratio. However, at least in that case in was a decision made by the original cinematographer and director: not some faceless "suit" deciding what is the most economical.

18. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

19. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    There would be no reason to animate a film in 1:33.1 if that was not what was intended to be seen. Many films are intentionally animated at 16x9, even though they are not going to be shown at 16x9 in theaters. The reason is because theater's to not have the capability to show animated films at that ratio. But a lot of theaters in europe do have that ability. Therefore, they are shown correctly in europe, but not in U.S. theaters. That is the case with most Disney animation. I am not sure wheter this applies to Americal TAIL or not, but it sounds as if it may. If anyone knows how to get in contact with Don Bluth, it would be helpful in this discussion.

20. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Our concerns might be heard (and paid attention to) by Universal if this thread began to equal that of, say, the WILLY WONKA postings of a few years ago. Fifteen posts and no calls/snail mail will have zero effect. I have contacted the studio personally and hope everyone else will join...