I think it added $20 or so to the gross. [emoji13]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino said:
I'm 100% sure it will beat both of them. I say $350 million.
From box office mojo

- AMERICAN SNIPER
Warner Bros.

114 $2,497

-56.6% / $22
$350,092,526 / 166

I love being right. [emoji13]

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
With $92k to spare [emoji3]

I'm still waiting for a price drop to pick up the BD; terrific movie that I'll enjoy rewatching.

Can't wait until Clint's next movie about the pilot.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally, saw this film. Not as jingoistic as I thought it would be, but the "shepherd overseeing his flock" angle was a little overcooked. Whether it was actually true or not, I thought the bit where his first kill was a kid and his second was a woman demonstrated unequivocally what a terrible position he was in. I also thought it was truly ironic that a guy who was so concerned with protecting American soldiers lives was shot and killed, not by an enemy soldier, but by one of his own countrymen. Good film, but I still think The Hurt Locker was better.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In reality His first kill was a woman. There was no child. Still don't understand why the film showed him killing a child if he didn't.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think the real interesting aspect of the film is not political but psychological and about how we view and understand what a sniper is. A sniper is not a hero, it is a person that hides and kills people from the shadows. Snipers have, in general, always been seen as bad guys...and in truth they are...however, when a sniper is on your "side" people will cheer for this bad behavior. Really, this is how I see the film. It is about how war destroys people and blurs the lines for people between what is good and what is "evil."

War reduces people to acting on their worst and most primal instincts and causes us to throw "civilization" out the window. To the extent we can commit and even root for horrible acts. And by we I don't mean the United States I mean this is borne out over time and applies to the human race...all humans over time have done this. As much as we try to promote our intellect as human beings we are animals and have these primal urges and instincts and it would be foolish to deny this.

I think the title of the film is a bit humorous because it combines American, a word we generally celebrate and think of as a good word, with sniper, a word that generally means a person that does something morally reprehensible by hiding and killing people.

It is fascinating how it seems many people that speak about this film embrace this bad behavior because the word American is placed in front of it. In the past snipers were considered "cowards" that hid and killed people...watch most war movies and snipers are not treated as heroes but rather a sniper confrontation tends to be one of the most vicious and harrowing in a film. American Sniper though shows that everybody is damaged by this behavior, at least that's what I saw, there are no "victories" or "heroes" to be found in this film. There is just the cost of war and included in that cost is always our humanity...we always must sacrifice that to commit the acts we must commit in a war.

It is interesting to note now though that "sniping" has become more popular than ever with so many people on the internet that are "hidden" and "snipe away" from some anonymous room somewhere where they never actually have to "confront" or "look in the eye" the people they are talking to. So, is it a surprise then that so many people would embrace a film about a sniper in our world as it is now?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My two oldest brothers(twins...one still living) were Marine snipers.

My brother saw it...his reaction...

"Snipers cannot do their job...and act like a pantywaist..."

He called this the "war movie for the 'oops I died, do-over' FPS XBox generation"

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
In reality His first kill was a woman. There was no child. Still don't understand why the film showed him killing a child if he didn't.

Eastwood probably figured it would up the moral quandary if the character faced offing a child as his first act in-country. Frankly, with women becoming more and more involved in combat situations it is no longer very shocking to see a woman getting gunned down. Kids are involved too, but it is still presents more of a quandary to gun down a kid than a woman nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks