What's new

American Sniper (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Tim Glover said:
I do think that 86 mill more is going to be difficult. Might depend on some Oscar wins? Not sure. It could do it but now i'm not so sure.

Agreed, it's going to be close. Right now I'd say it's 50-50 to make that $86 million.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Will be at approx $280 million by the end of this weekend. Still on track. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Make that $282 million. As I predicted it stabilized at the box office after last weekend and drooped only 21% and made close to $25 million. Amazing.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Amazing indeed....Box Office Mojo now forecasting AS to hit $350 Million after it's very small drop this weekend; which would make it the Box Office Champ for 2014.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw American Sniper this afternoon at a 3:10pm Sunday matinee and was amazed at how full the theater was. AND...snow had started falling with reports of a blizzard on the way.

Personally, I liked the film very much and thought Eastwood showed great restraint in not trying to tell too much of Kyle's story in the film. He kept a tight focus on the part of the story needed for the film and it worked. Cooper and Miller were both very good, I thought.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From boxoffice guru:

Following its three-week reign, Clint Eastwood's American Sniper dropped to second but still posted a sensational hold dipping only 21% to an estimated $24.2M. That was right in line with how recent military dramas have done following Super Bowl weekend with last year's Lone Survivor dropping 22% and the previous year's Zero Dark Thirty sliding by 23%.

Cume to date is now a staggering $282.3M for Sniper which has just surpassed The Matrix Reloaded to become the second highest grossing R-rated film of all-time behind only The Passion of the Christ which did $370.3M in 2004. The Bradley Cooper film has also now grossed more than all the other Best Picture Oscar nominees combined. Making it to the $350M neighborhood seems likely

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The sad part is that $282.3 Million is more than what the other 7 movies earned combined.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I give it about 3 more weeks to beat Mockigjay and become 2014's #1 film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From boxoffice guru:

Quote:"Oscar winner American Sniper followed closely with an estimated $7.7M, off 23%, for a new cume of $331.1M for Warner Bros. It now sits at number 33 on the list of all-time domestic blockbusters and by next weekend will pass both Guardians of the Galaxy and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 to become the highest grossing domestic hit to come out of 2014. Global is a Clint best $470.2M."

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
VERY impressive Tino. Quite amazing Box Office feat for American Sniper. Word of mouth was strong and it hit a nerve with moviegoers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
American Sniper passed Guardians of the Galaxy last night and is only 3M behind Mockingjay Part I. It should be the top grossing film of 2014 in the coming days.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As predicted American Sniper is now officially the #1 film released in 2014. Kudos Clint!

Bumped out of the top ten after a seven-week stay, Clint Eastwood's smash hit American Sniper achieved yet another milestone as it surpassed The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 to become the highest-grossing domestic hit to come out of 2014. Over 99% of its current cume of $337.2M came in 2015, but still to beat out all the tentpoles, super hero flicks, and big-budget behemoths of last year is an amazing accomplishment. Worldwide, Sniper has just smashed $500M with more still to come. The domestic portion should finish in the neighborhood of $350M which is more than double Eastwood's previous career high of $148.1M for Gran Torino.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After only drawing around $450K during the weekdays, American Sniper had a really good weekend for a film being out since mid-January. It came on strong Friday, but Saturday and Sunday was good too. It helped that there wasn't any recently released film that was dominating the box office.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I hope Clint sends Michael Moore and Seth Rogen thank you notes for all the free publicity that they inadvertently gave the movie.

I can't imagine those comments - made weeks ago - added much to the box office take. Rogen/Moore didn't get THAT much publicity, and their remarks were quickly forgotten.

"Sniper" sold a lot of tickets because it appealed to a lot of people. If any news event sold tickets, it'd be the trial of the guy who killed Kyle - that's kept the movie in the news...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin Jacobson said:
I can't imagine those comments - made weeks ago - added much to the box office take. Rogen/Moore didn't get THAT much publicity, and their remarks were quickly forgotten.

"Sniper" sold a lot of tickets because it appealed to a lot of people. If any news event sold tickets, it'd be the trial of the guy who killed Kyle - that's kept the movie in the news...
I think he was joking about Rogen/Moore. If not then he should have been. :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm basically joking but I do think people that Michael Moore's comments (not so much Seth Rogen's) helped to politicize the movie and that added to the movie's gross. Needless to say, American Sniper would have been a huge hit without anyone's comments (it was- as Colin said- a story that appealed to many people and there's a wonderful Oscar-nominated performance from Cooper) but the controversy surrounding Moore's comments certainly didn't hurt the movie's gross.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks