What's new

AMERICAN PSYCHO discussion (consolidated) (spoilers!) (1 Viewer)

metalgod001

Auditioning
Real Name
Lance
I interpretted the ending a little different then everyone else. I saw the lawyer as playing dumb with Patrick on purpose.

Bateman obviously has money so he's got one of the best lawyers in town. I figured the lawyer got his message and "took care" of everything (cleaned up the apartment, fixed all his mistakes) whatever he had to do to hide all these murders. So when they meet at the bar, the lawyer is playing to dumb so Patrick won't make a big scene; laying low. By the lawyer dropping that bombshell that he had lunch with Paul Allen, this was a sign that the lawyer knew what was going on; he was in the loop. Everything was hidden, don't worry about it.

After hearing this Bateman slumps bakc down with his friends and stares off and gives that great montage. " My confession means nothing." I think Bateman had himself so psyched up to get caught that he truly thought that this was the end. It's like he almost wanted to get caught to end the pain. Now that he's cleared he can go at it again, start the cycle over.

This may be a far shot interpretation but this was how I first analyzed it. After researching and reading your posts I see im in the minority. But, just a thought.

- Don't just stare at it, eat it!!

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I don't care if the filmmakers tried to convey the fact thay he was really killing people. The movie makes it clear to me that it was all in his mind. The editing betrays their intentions. the book may have made it clear that he was killing. That doesn't matter because the movie is structured with intention. Bateman killed no one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks