What's new

American Pie Ultimate Edition (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I have the originally-released American Pie ws unrated collector's edition. Now out on the shelves of course is what I guess they call the Ultimate edition, in slick new packaging. I think it comes with free tickets to AP2, which of course are worthless now. I haven't been able to do a side-by-side comparison, but it seems that other than some AP2-related stuff and the new packaging, the actual content (special features) is the same as what I already have. Is this true? Is there anything additional to the Ultimate edition, other than the new packaging (which I admit, I'm a sucker for slick packaging), that I don't already have?
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
jjr512-genome-logo1.jpg

Join our Genome@home Team! (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There is really no good reason to get the Ultimate Edition unless you want the DTS track - which is supposed to be slightly better than the DD. The extras and everything else aren't anything more special that the initial DVD release, in my opinion.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Some deleted scenes (presented in rough, grainy form), and a photo montage with comments from the directors.
Not worth the trouble of selling the one you already have, unless you really want a P&S version sitting around gathering dust.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Unless I want a P&S version sitting around? Where would it come from? The one I already have is 1.85:1 anamorphic, isn't the Ultimate also wide screen?
The UE offers both widescreen and fullscreen versions of the film, both of which have DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound. In regard to the extras, as noted, the differences are very minor. About six minutes of deleted scenes - one of which was very good - plus a bland narrated photo montage, material to promote AP2 and a Tonic live performance. Worth an upgrade? I don't think so.
Link to my full review, which provides more details on the differences:
http://www.dvdmg.com/americanpieue.shtml
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Justin, the Ultimate Edition contains BOTH the widescreen and pan-and-scan versions of the movie (on separate discs, I think). The original release is widescreen only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks