1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

American Pie II - 4 versions of "family entertainment" :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanR, Oct 18, 2001.

1. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Ok, so there's going to be 4 versions of this DVD on 1/15/02:
    R-rated Widescreen
    R-rated Full Screen
    Unrated Widescreen
    Unrated Full Screen
    What I find so damn funny is that the studios are saying that the proliferation of fullscreen releases is due to children/families wanting fullframe DVDs. Yet, this movie is clearly not "family entertainment". [​IMG]
    So, what is the logic behind an unrated (or R-rated) pan & scan version?
    This is too funny.
    Regards,
    Dan

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Dan, I think you'd have to concede that a rather large audience for "American Pie II" ain't exactly the movie-buff type. Yahoos, slack-jawed yokels, Joe Six-Packs... whatever you wanna call 'em, they exist in multitudes.
    And, for some reason, they all seem to dig "American Pie II".

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Is a DTS track being including on this round of releases, or do we have to wait for another "ultimate" release in a year or two?

4. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I don't know about that Al; I think you are stereotyping a bit. Though American Pie is not film-art, it doesn't mean that the viewers don't know about widescreen...
    The prime audience for American Pie II is also huge part of the DVD crowd (and certainly many of the early adopters of this "technology"). I'm talking about males ages 16-30 or so. DVD releases have histroically catered to this demographic, hence the early title availability was skewed to action/adventure movies and these types of "sex comedies". This demographic actually learned to appreciate widescreen in the early years of DVD. It is only now that DVD is reaching the "early majority" that we are seeing the proliferation of fullscreen releases . . . for a different type of customer.
    Regards,
    Dan

5. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I agree with Dan totally. And if our feelings turn out to be true, there'll be a lot of full-screen versions on the shelves, won't there?
    I for one will pick up a widescreen copy, unrated, because I thought the movie was hysterical!
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

8. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I also kind of agree with Al's latest posts and Jason's post. Indeed, that is part of the reason I brought this up. Don't some of you think the studios are partially hiding behind "family entertainment" and "The children want it"?
    You certainly have to agree with my post about the target audience for this movie being a large piece of the installed DVD base who has lived with W/S, right? So, who exactly is going to buy the unrated P&S version of this movie?
    There are no easy answers, but it should be interesting to see how the 4 different versions sell. Will the R-rated full screen outsell the R-rated P&S version while the unrated W/S outsells the unrated P&S?
    I'm planning on buying the unrated W/S version.
    Regards,
    Dan

9. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

11. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Universal covers all bases - Pan & Scan for Wal-mart, Rated version for Blockbuster, unrated/widescreen versions for people who prefer widescreen. All of these features could have been put on one disc. It seems Universal is giving in to Blockbuster and the big discount stores.
    It is unfortunate since we don't get many classics from Universal, instead we get 10 versions of Jurassic Park, 4 versions of American Pie, 2 versions of "Josie and the Pussycats"? - how many people want 2 versions of "Josie and the Pussycats"?
    Universal has released many, many DVDs this year alone - too bad they only released a few titles.

12. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

It would make alot more sense if they'd release two double disc sets. That way I could rent the widescreen version and they would not have the added expense of producing four keep cases instead of two.

13. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

2 Solutions:
    - Seamless Branching (That takes care of the R-Rated vs UnRated)
    - "an & Sca" On-The-Fly
    I know that using the "an & Sca" on the fly feature is not the same as a proper fullscreen transfer (As it's sometimes open-matte or a bit of both) but the thing is, J6P only wants his screen filled so to him, more headroom or cut off from the side, he'll never know the difference!

14. Tom De Rosa

Tom De Rosa Stunt Coordinator

........Or we could all just wait for the
    ULTIMATE EDITION
    with BOTH W/S & P&S
    Promos for AP 3
    and a wonderful plastic folding case thingy

15. MaxY

MaxY Guest

16. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

Max - that is funny. [​IMG]
    It is my opinion that we should applaude MCA/Universal for this. How many other production companies would do this?
    They could have just pulled a Cats and Dogs...

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Great strawberries down your way, Max. But too many Gator fans! [​IMG]
    (My mother's late sister and family live/d in Plant City, and we visited frequently growing up - beautiful town!)

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Someone really should have found a way to put all 4 of these on ONE disc- "Kalifornia" and "Poison Ivy" have both theatrical and unrated versions viewable in widescreen and pan and scan. FOUR different DVDs of ONE movie is total overkill.

19. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

That's great, Martin. From now on, I'll always refer to pan & scan in the written word as "an & sca" and everybody will wonder what the hell I'm talking about! Then, I'll have to explain to J6P why "an & sca" crops off the edges of my phrase, and he'll have to ask for the OAR version to understand my original intent [​IMG] I might even try it with the spoken word.
    Of course, here at HTF I'll only use the OAR version.