What's new

American Movie? (1 Viewer)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Does anyone out there have a copy of this film on DVD? I am wondering how good it is (the DVD -- not the film) and if it is worth owning. I really loved the film when I saw it in the theaters. All opinions greatly appreciated!

Deborah

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: Yeah, it's definitely worth the purchase. Good transfer, etc. The commentary alone is brilliant. They got Mike and Mark to participate, and it's almost like getting two movies in one. It also includes Marks film Coven, which I haven't watched all the way through yet. ;)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If you liked this movie at the theater, you will enjoy the DVD. There is a great commentary that is as good, or better, than the dialogue in the movie. In the middle of the commentary, the guy who acts like he is stoned asks if he can go out for a smoke. Also included on the DVD is the movie Coven.

Michael S Estes

Auditioning
Yes, I saw this on DVD. The aspect ratio was 1.33/1, which I assume was it's OAR. I thought the transfer was good, but I'm not as picky as others. The short "COVEN", the subject of the movie, was also on the DVD, along with deleted scenes. Thinking about now, I wish I'd bought it instead of renting it.

Blu

Screenwriter
I enjoy this movie very very much and recommend anyone who likes DVD add it to their collection! Especially if you are a independent filmmaker or aspiring to it!

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Saw this last night.... two words:
GOOD LORD !!
I was hoping this was in the spirit of Spinal Tap...it is, right?
Anyways, I no longer recommend Requiem For A Dream as the anti-drug movie. Now, it's AMERICAN MOVIE.
I about spit out my beer on the deleted scene: AC/DC
OMG, too funny.
Anyways, good movie about how NOT to make a movie.
:)
~Rob

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I was astounded by the quality of the transfer on the DVD. I would dare to say it's up to Criterion standards. Blew me away.

The film is a bit grainy, but I believe that's probably the way it was originally.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DVD does justice to the documentary and then some. I just read at DVD File that Mark Borchardt appears in the Jet Li film "The One" and there is a featurette interview with him on the DVD as an Easter Egg. If Mike Schank had appeared, I probably would have bought the DVD.
In some ways, it illustrates the only way you CAN make a movie. An obsessive desire to do nothing else is a key ingredient. I will cop to it demonstrating how not to make a great movie, though. :)
Regards,

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Well said, Ken.
I actually find the film as touching as it is hillarious . With both sympathy and a total lack of sentimentality it tells a profoundly and quintessentially American story (probably why they called it American Movie, don't you think??? ;) ) that should resonates with every US viewer of the last century. Struggling and finally triumphing over great odds in order to realize one's dream (in this case to produce one's very own piece of gratuitous schlock) is completely "Horatio Alger" and at the same time deeply ironic. This is a very subtle, layered, and brilliant film that reveals a great deal about how late 20th century Americans imagine themselves to be while at the same time revealing to how and what we often actually are.
Have to say, this is one of my very favorite films.
Deborah

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You should also go waaaaay out of your way to see Chris Smith's American Job which is a film in the same spirit of American Movie, only it is completely fictional.
Link Removed
American Movie, both the film and the DVD, are absolutely great. Wonderful. Better than you'd expect.
Too bad AMERICAN JOB isn't out on DVD yet.
-Vince

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I don't agree. They guy may not lead a perfect life, but he had a dream, followed it and has continued to follow it. He surrounded himself with many who believed in him and he's doing what he wanted to do. For anyone wanting to make movies, it's actually a damn fine example to follow.

In the case of the documentary, it's not a question of how good the final result is, it's the fact a small timer had a dream and dared to follow it that is very inspiring, and I have the upmost admiration for Mark. Far too many just talk about making a movie, they never actually do it. I turn to American Movie as a kick me up when I am down as I enter production on my first feature...

Dan

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Well Dan, I don't know what to tell you.....
I know of idiots in every walk of life, so I'm not just picking on him or his lifestyle, and *eventually* getting around to something (making a movie, taking a vacation, writing a book, whatever) is probably not the best way to go about it.
While I think you might appreciate his perseverance, I don't think you really believe this is a good way to get anything accomplished.
I _do_ think it's cool that he followed his dream.
I _do_ think it's cool that he hung in there.
I _don't_ think it's the way to make a movie.
As Dennis Miller says:
"But, hey -that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"
~Rob

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
, I don't think you really believe this is a good way to get anything accomplished.
Actually I think having faith in one's self is a great way of getting things accomplished. Where Mark goes wrong is putting personal ambition before family, if you argue that against then I am with you all the way.
Dan

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Good point Dan, I agree completely.
Well, all this talk has made me want to watch again w/ commentary this time!
Like it or hate it, it *is* interesting to watch.
...Does anyone know what has happened to the $50,000.00 budget he has (had?) or what stage Northwestern is at?
Thanks,
~Rob

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My Xmas card photo last year was a shot of me with Mark and Mike at last year's San Diego Comic-Con (where they were there for a Letterman spot).

This year's photo-- me and Ron Jeremy!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I am also a huge fan of this movie, and DVD.

The antics of these guys were unbelievable! I really had a hard time believing that this was actually a documentary. It just goes to show that life really can be stranger than fiction!

One very unique movie!

And the DVD is surprisingly good, especially the extra features.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I rented American Movie several months ago. I did like it, though I'm not sure if I'd buy the disc. I just can't see myself watching it that much. That said, I wish I had Mark's enthusiasm and perserverance. His quest to finish Coven was proof positive that you can succeed if you try hard enough. Of course, having relatives with some extra cash is good! :) It'd be interesting to see what he could do with a real budget. We might have another Robert Rodriguez on our hands...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks