What's new

American Made Reciever (1 Viewer)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I am looking to buy a dolby reciever off of ebay but I am in Canada so for me not to pay duties at the border the reciever would have to be manufactured in the U.S.. I was looking at something like the Yamaha V1500. It will cost me about $565 US. Is there anything american made that is similar?

Matt K P

Agent
i dont know about any american made recievers, but i got my 1500 two days ago and i love it, for some reason the new 1500 and 2500 sound alot better than most of the other yamahas

Drew_W

Screenwriter
B&K is made in America.

My experience is as follows:

You won't pay duty on anything under $1600CAD regardless of country of manufacture. What you will pay is taxes equal to your local sales tax plus brokerage fees. For USPS/Canada Post, that's $5, but may result in a very long wait for your item. Here is the chart for UPS rates:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...toms/fees.html

The limitation for imports into Canada to avoid any type of import fees is $20CAD.

Point being, any receiver you buy, US/Japan/China made, you'll pay import fees...

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Matt K P : Please remove your equipment list from your signature. It is against forum rules as it messes up the search feature. Thanks.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Mc Intosh, Krell, the new Lexicon maybe a few others but
anything made in the USA has a price tag way beyond your stated budget.
There is no reason why a "standard" model from one of the consumer line-ups wouldn't fit your needs and your stated

budget.
HK is an American design but produced elsewhere if that appeals to you. Good Luck

Drew_W

Screenwriter
He's looking for an American made receiver only because he thinks it will mean not paying extra to import it into Canada, which is an absolutely incorrect assumption.

Because of this, the playing field is open to *ANY* receiver, American made or not, since both will be charged import fees.

Of course, you can always just buy from within Canada...

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I'm not well versed in the regulations re: duties and customs charges, taxes, and how they apply to new and used goods. I've made numerous purchases off the net and sometimes I get dinged, other times I don't. Is there a website that can give me more info?

I bought a used (US made) Aerial CC3 center channel speaker off of Audiogon in a private sale. I was pleasantly surprised to not have to pay anything at the border! It was shipped by Fedex Ground, if that makes a difference.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Scott- Check the e-cost webb site. They have a Canadian cost calculater and several Receivers to choose from. Should be able to buy from them at a known price before ordering.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Your Customs invoice from FedEx Trade Networks is probably in the mail then. They don't do COD for import fees like UPS does...they deliver the item, then about 30 days after you get an invoice for the import fees. Sneaky sneaky. Had that happen twice to me. I wonder what happens if you don't pay.... :)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
So I just talked to Canada Customs and she said that I will pay 6.5% of the original selling price in duty at the border for an amplifier/reciever NOT made in USA. Plus the tax so another 15% but even with that and the shipping I will still save $300 Canadian on The Yamaha 5790

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I've never paid duty on anything I've imported worth less than $1600CAD. Under that level they do the "express" customs clearance which seems not to include duty if it's coming from the USA.

The bad news is that you won't have a valid Canadian warranty...if that matters at all to you. And in addition to what goes to Customs, you have to pay brokerage to whoever does the Customs clearance, as I mentioned before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks