What's new

American Idol (1 Viewer)

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, so who do you think will get booted? I admit that Nikki didn't embarass herself, but I still think her singing ability is limited, to put it kindly. She just sounds like she's shouting out there. None of the performances tonight were anything special, in my opinion. I didn't think Justin's second performance was that bad. Why is it that whenever someone tries to sing a Michael Jackson song, people view it as an "impersonation" rather than just singing a Michael Jackson song. It seems that his extra dancing efforts hurt his vocal performance, but at least he's trying to show he's an entertainer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Justin seems to have a very limited upper range. Everytime he should have gone high, he just went loud. Definitely did himself no favors with his second song, though I didn't much care for the first (Oleta, he ain't *snap*). :)
I thought Nikki did quite well tonight, now that she was able to choose her own material. I thought Kelly was amazing, considering she can hardly talk. Tamyra was good, but also riding on the verge of diva-itis (the inability to stop on a single note for more than 1 second). My scorecard tonight:
1. Kelly Clarkson
2. Tamyra Gray
3. Nikki McKibbin
4. Justin Guarini

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For the first time since the first episode, I actually watched a whole show.

Kelly is, hands-down, the most talented of the 4. If she could add some dancing or something to show she can do more than just sing, then she would have the competition right now (even though she already does).

Justin was just bad. He'd be better suited to doing something like Barry White than Michael Jackson. His voice is too low to hit high notes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tamyra's face reminds me of Tori Spelling's face.

I've grown to appreciate profressional singers after watching tonite's AI. Any comparison to Whitney, Mariah, Celine is so vastly premature, it's not even funny. These pro singers have not only range, but control (well, maybe not Mariah), and a style that permeates every note uttered by them, and makes the interpretation of the songs their own.

Tamyra's 1st song was ill-chosen because she's doesn't have the "attitude," the presence of a Patti LaBelle, and came across as a karoake competitor in that song.

Tamyra's 2nd song is more suited for her vocal style, but again, she can't control her ending notes, always throwing in a gratituous octave, but it results in making her sound hoarse in some notes.

Kelly was pretty much winging it on the first song, and it's not a song she should ever sing again because her persona doesn't "go there" and she doesn't need to "go there" every again. I appreciate the original singer of that song. One of the pitfalls I do see in Kelly is always singing "big", and at this point in the competition, her high notes are getting louder, not higher (due to the stress, and from being hoarse through overuse). Also, Kelly simply doesn't have the attitude needed for performing "It's Raining Men".

Kelly's second song is also more suited for her style, but while she's still got the pipes, there was some strain in her voice while going for singing loud, but when she's not straining, her voice sends shivers down my spine in a good way. She's got plenty of natural talent, but needs to be reined in by a good vocal coach (as does Tamyra).

Nikki's problem is that she's one-note in her vocal range. For rock songs, that's going to cover up a lot of deficiencies for Nikki, but it's plainly obvious she sings loudly because that's what she has to work with. She's obviously very pretty (if she'd get rid of the multi-colored hair, like tonight), she'd be taken more seriously, but I don't see her doing anything else other than rock songs. Didn't like her first song that much, though she did sing it as well as she could.

Nikki's second song had a problem with tempo, when Melissa Etheridge sings that song, she absolutely owns it and the pain that goes with the song. When Nikki sings it, she's more focused on enunciating every single word, forgetting a lot of the inherent emotion that comes from the lyrics, and comes across too slow in the tempo department. Sure, she sounded pretty good, but just because you incorporate some hand/arm gestures doesn't mean you are doing the song justice.

Justin's first song is what he needs to stay with because it does give him a little to show us what little falsetto he has, but he's a quiet singer, the show's volume level drops by 3dB when he singing in comparison to the girls. Not to say it's a bad thing, just something I noticed. Justin's is more suited to crooning love songs because his voice betrays him in other material. His vocal range is limited, and that limits his choices (should he want to make good decision for the material he performs).

Justin's second song was a total mis-step on his part to do a Michael Jackson song. Sure, as Paula admitted to, she was entertained by Justin's moves on stage, she was responding to the dancer in Justin, and for some people that's almost enough to give Justin a pass, but overall, the song exposes a lot of Justin's weaknesses in the upper registers that Michael owns.

I would not be surprised if either Tamyra or Justin were the bottom 2 vote getters based on their performances, but it's a total toss-up now, due to the system in place to "vote" for the top 3.

Oh, the judges were on the take tonight, especially Simon. At least Randy tried to be more level-headed in handing out the compliments and also so-so reactions he had. Paula has reverted back to cheerleader mode for the home stretch.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I appreciate the original singer of that song.
Well, when you're covering Martha Wash, who has probably the most beautiful and powerful voice to ever grace the planet :) , it's a comparison you're sure to lose. But I thought Kelly did quite well. Perhaps she should have chosen another Martha song, like "Carry On" or "Takin' Over," though they don't have the mainstream recognition of "It's Raining Men."

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I don't get it. The judges have consistently conveyed to the contestants that song selection is key. Why is so much emphasis is placed there? Because the song you choose determines what range you'll have to demonstrate. I don't think these contestants realize that slower songs have a much better chance to show your abilities than faster songs. Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Barbara are all known for their ballads, not their dance numbers. Nikki should be the only one singing faster songs. Why? To cover her obvious lack of range.

As for last night performances:

Tamyra:
I give her lots of credit for even attempting to do a Patti LaBelle Song. Instead of the fast "New Attitude" she should have gone for the slower, older classic "Over the Rainbow". I like the way she changes her image from week to week and last night, even between songs. Her make up, hair, dress and overall look for her second song was absolutely beautiful.

Nikki:
Not much to say about her. She never has impressed me and probably never will.

Justin:
Someone is giving this guy bad advice or he's just not listening to any good advice people are giving him. His time is running out. Croon, you idiot, CROON !!! Quit playing up to the teenybooper faction and get real. Drop the dance steps too. Justin moves better than all others except Tamyra but still, his moves are so corny. They are killing you. Change. Do something different. Anything. Everything!!!

Kelly:
Every time she sings I think I'm listening to a touched up recording. Strong, clear presence with just enough inflection to confirm her performance is indeed live.

You know what one of them should do? Sing acappella. If one of these finalist had the guts to even attempt to pull that off, they would separate themselves from the pack and that's what the winner will need. Kelly, Tamyra or even Justin could pull this off. I don't think Nikki could. Could you see Tamyra,long silky black dress, the house lights dim to a single spot light. She goes into Billie Holidays/Diana Ross "Good Morning Heartbreak". Kelly doing "Evergreen". That would make quite an impression.

One more time:
Just for the record I'd like to hear Justin sing Seal's "Kiss of a rose on the gray". Tamyra or Kelly sing Jennifer Holiday's "As we lay" or Anita Bakers,"I apologize" or "You bring me joy"

Jodee

Screenwriter
All the contestants had to sing a cappella up through the finals.

That is when I was first stunned at Justin's falsetto. Sadly, he has only shown us faint glimmers of it in recent weeks.

I have to laugh at the above posts that say he can't sing high. Oh, yes he can. He just hasn't been his using it.

His falsetto made Paula Abdul cry in the first few episodes.

I loved him better then when he was a cappella. His voice had this beautiful almost Jeff Buckley-vibe. Now that he's singing with a cheesy backing track (the musical arrangement son this show have been horrible) he is not as good.

I would like to see him do soulful Maxwell-Jeff Buckley-Prince stuff rather than cheesy Michael Jackson stuff. Hopefully his career will take him in that direction instead of the boy-band crap.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I be a late-comer to the American Idol party. I can only comment on what I've heard in the past 3-4 weeks of shows.

These kids are over-working their vocals, and I wonder if Justin still has some falsetto left "in the tank" so to speak.

It would be a shame that the show's format (dragging it out way too long - week-wise) makes one of them sing with a cracking voice that's just shot from weeks of being overworked. They need to be taught how to conserve their voices.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Nikki:

Made up for 2 very bad weeks. She had 2 solid performances. I agree that she does not have a vast range of styles, but the rock-n-roll works.

Justin:

Just plain blew it in his second song choice. He looked totally foolish up there. I actually believe that he will get the boot this week before Nikki does.

Tamyra:

Solid. Did not blow me away, but solid. She has been the most consistent performer during the entire run.

Kelly:

WOW! She set the bar this week.

So, it comes down to Nikki or Justin this week. Nikki has slid by for so long. But she did better than Justin (in my book). It is interesting that Justin went from the front runner in the early weeks to becoming an also-ran.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
So how does this show work? I saw an episode tonight. Do they have 2 shows a week? One is singing and the judges comments and then the next night is the results of the voting?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, Tamyra's out. Who knows how this will end up at this rate. I thought she was the most consistent, though I wasn't as impressed by her this week. Looks like one single misstep will get you booted. Though I thought Justin's "Jacko" impression was the bigger mistake. And Nikki keeps on hangin' in for another week....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pretty disappointing, but Tamyra showed a lot of class to be able to sing the closing song after getting the boot upside the head from America.

They really just call it "The People's Choice Idol" and leave it at that.

Mike, yes, that's the format: Tuesday is "talent on display" night, and Wednesday is the dreaded "results from the phone poll are in" night.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think she has anything to worry about. She's been Simon's fave for weeks, so he'll probably sign her anyway.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Who keeps voting for Nikki and why? Can't believe I have to sit through another one of her performances next week.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
This show is getting ridiculous, there's no way the computer speed dialer nerds aren't having an effect. Justin should be a shoe in to get the boot next week and I predict that Nikki wins this farud. I got into a debate with my school bus driver about the show earlier today; she only likes Nikki because it's her neighbor, which she has never even met.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
there's no way the computer speed dialer nerds aren't having an effect.
Of course they are having an effect. You get a couple thousand (or more) people and they have their dialers setup to slam the phone lines non-stop...it will have an effect. The producers will never admit it though, its too late and there is really nothing they can do about it this late in the game.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A couple of months ago, Entertainment Weekly set odds for the 10 remaining contestants:

Justin 3-2
Tamyra 3-1
Christina 4-1
Ryan Starr 4-1
Ejay Day 6-1
Nikki 8-1
Kelly 10-1
A.J. Gil 15-1
Jim Verraros 20-1

I don't know how they set those odds, but the first time I heard Kelly, I knew she was the real deal, and they made her 10-1 odds? Sheesh! Idiots.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
there's no way the computer speed dialer nerds aren't having an effect.
They received 14 million votes this week. According to the press they've received "upto 10,000" computer speed dialer calls per week. If you believe that number, it's had zero effect - the voting just isn't that close.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Sure wish I had $100 on Kelly or Nikki. Can't make any money off Justin.

I'm on the West coast and the show hasn't come on yet but I was very shocked to read here that Tamyra has been eliminated. Sorry to see her go but that's show business. The best person doesn't always win, but we've all known that from the beggining, right? "The mob is fickle"

Part of me wishes that Justin or Nikki wins just to make it clear to everyone that the voting system completely corrupted the integrity of the show. The only way this show can redeem itself is if somehow Kelly wins it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks