What's new

American Idol - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I think Lee deserved it - he seems like a good kid and he has good raw talent that will only get better - IMHO ... and at least Crystal will get to play bigger coffee houses now.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

It was weird that the producers wouldn't tell anyone that they scrapped the coronation song and replaced it with two separate covers. I saw no point in holding that so close to the vest.

I guess you weren't paying attention Tues night when Ryan said the final songs would be what would be released as singles if that person wins.

I thought it was better than making them both sing the same song, especially the typical lame ones they've had in the past that weren't necessarily suited to their voices.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is it ironic that Lee's victory song after he'd already won was probably his best performance of the season? I guess with the pressure off he was able to loosen up.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Now, in summation, I get where Hanson was going with his recaps. And, in the end, I am with him as I have been since I began seriously watching this series in 2007.

In all, I do not blame Yoo, Hanson, for the conclusion you have arrived at.

In fact, I share your sentiments--particularly in the way Season 9 turned out.

Last year, I yelled FOUL way up yonder when Adam lost to Kris.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor

Hanson may I respectfully request that you retire your Idol blog/review. You obviously cannot find anything right with the show and it appears that it is making you a very angry person. Reading your incessant, troll-ish negativity is more tiring, disturbing and less humorous than sitting through some of the drivel on Idol. Is it a perfect show - no ... but the show and its contestants are not nearly as bad as you exclaim week after week. If you dislike the AI so strongly - just quit watching it. I, for one, won't be reading your pomposity and cruel attempts at being clever any longer. Congratulations, you've become more tiresome and way more irritating than even Seacrest - out!

I can't disagree with this. I don't know why some people who obviously don't like the show feel the need to come here and constantly trash the show and those who like it, rather than finding something else to do.

Most of the complaints in here are about things that have always been true of the show, like Ryan being the host or people being able to vote many times for whatever reason they want to... if people hate Ryan so much, for example, why keep watching after 9 seasons? Geez. What exactly is so bad about him? Should we get Regis or Jerry Springer instead?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Laughed the hardest when Lee sang, "What would you do if I sang out of tune?"

IF?

I guess the answer is, "make you the Idol winner".

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm likely done with the show, unless Joel McHale or someone equally awesome is the new judge.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo that plagued him on 4/20

I wanted to point this out back then but didn't. These are actually dental rubber bands. Why he's using obvious white ones rather than flesh colored ones (i assume they're available) I don't know. It does look like saliva at first, tho.

Good Lord - Alice Cooper, Bee Gees, Chicago, Hall and freaking Oats, Michael whatisnamewiththewhitehair? Could they not find anyone willing to be on the show who had a hit song in the past 25 years? Well, there was Aguilera. And I'm sure she was sitting backstage thinking 'who the hell are these people?' or 'I think my grandma listened to you when I was 3'

While my 8 year old cheered for local boy Lee, my wife and I were both jaw dropped stunned by his winning. Crystal seemed the obvious winner to both of us for weeks.

(and I've been 30second-skipping over Kara's comments since they hit Top 12)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Shock! (not....)

As for the guest performers, I first felt like I was watching one of those PBS concerts ("Night of a 1,000 70's Pop Performers!") until they started getting a little more, well, current. And that's relatively speaking. (I did enjoy Alanis and Crystal, though.) Some of the flashbacks/tributes were good, and although I didn't care for the song, the Idol All-Star tribute to Simon was fun to see.

As for "Hanson-isms", I laughed when Crystal was asked about how she felt going into the final show: "My head is in the clouds!"

It actually would have been more fitting as a final show of the series, but we will see how true Paula's words were next season.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I was impressed with was Carrie Underwood. Best thing to come from Idol. Was suprised to see Brett Michaels up and moving. I would have prefered to hear the Bee Gees without the idols helping them sing.

Anyone notice that whatever his name Cook was not there with the Idol winners? Guess he had something else better to do then free promotion?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Cook was at a charity golf tournament and couldn't make it to the Nokia. Not exactly sure how that scheduling conflict went unnoticed.

The tribute song for Simon reminded me of Kidney Now from 30 Rock. It was so inanely generic. Hey, who replaced Kelly Clarkson with her mom? She looked miserable the whole time. I don't think she smiled once.

It looked like the producers went to the Rock N Roll Graveyard and exhumed most of their musical guests. And didn't Brett Michaels literally come back from the dead? Was the theme Zombie Night?

When did Andy Dick join the Bee Gees? And when did Bababooey join Hall & Oats?

I think my favorite performance was Crystal and Alanis singing You Oughta Know (of all things). I giggled when Crystal sang, "does she go down with you to the theater". In case you were wondering why they didn't have Crystal duet with Melissa Etheridge (which seems like a slam dunk no-brainer), her contract with DWTS (which she signed when she performed on one of the results shows) precluded her from being on Idol this season. That's also why, even though she was in the audience, she was not shown on camera or mentioned when Crystal sang Come to My Window on top three night.

Since the producers seem intent on beating the same joke into the ground (something I am not unfamiliar with after having created what seems like a 100 iterations of chops featuring Crystal smoking pot), they had Casey take the lead on Maneater. The lyrics have a cougary vibe, and for those of us old enough, the video featured a panther prowling around the set.

Christina and Janet were both going for the Seven of Nine look. Christina's hair and flesh were the same color, so it looked like her head was molded as a single piece. She reminded me of the robot from Metropolis crossed with Sally from Davey & Goliath.

And just to clarify -- Ryan said that less than 2% separated the votes totals for Crystal and Lee up until the finals. That is, the cumulative number of votes from the semis to top three night. That fact that they had to use deceptive language to make it seem like it was a horse race indicated that Lee won and it was a landslide.

And my advice to any girls looking to win Idol next year:

Grow a penis

Grow some chin pubes

Watch Sean Penn in I Am Sam

You're welcome.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The average age of the guest performers would have been an incredible joke if Alice Cooper weren't so awesome. (Seriously, if you have the chance to see an Alice concert before you die, do it!)

I was watching the Celtics debacle and the Red Sox game and *almost* missed Pants on the Ground Guy. I'd been waiting for him all season. Thank god for Lucy hollering from the other room! I wasn't sure whether to be amused by William Hung or irritated at him taking some of PooG Guy's spotlight.

Anyone else wondering how many more verses Dane Cook was planning to sing when they cut to a commercial after that goofus refused to hand off the mic?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Geez, when Miley Cyrus was on a few weeks ago, some of you criticized them for that because she's too young. Now you're bitching about having older acts on the finale (which is not exactly a new trend on the show). Then of course you don't like most of the contestants or the judges, either. So the obvious question is why you're watching the show at all.

I don't think some of you would be happy regardless of who was on the finale or what happens on the show.

And the person "everyone" thinks is going to win often doesn't (Crystal, Lambert, Archuleta, Daughtry...).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
On the contrary, I would have actually watched last night had I known all these great "seasoned" acts were on. I'm too old to give a hoot about Lady Gaga or whoever else is big right now, but last night's slate is right up my alley.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I know you don't need my cheerleading, Hanson, but FWIW I found your AI blog entries (and those photo-chops!) each week more entertaining than the show. I've always enjoyed them in seasons past, too.
I think, psychologically, that humor is much more tied to negativity than positivity. So to me, pointing out that a contestant was good, or the show did something right, is all well and fine -- but it isn't particularly funny... and if one takes the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" route, then their commentary is at serious risk of becoming an insipid, dull piece of mediocrity. On the other hand, any amount of negativity (up to 100%) -- if done with wit and panache -- can be supremely funny.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Ralphie_B

Actually, I rarely got any feedback on the blog this season -- there were a couple of weeks where Patrick's review and the blog were the only post-performance posts in this thread for days.

Oh, and if anyone's interested, Crystal broke up with her boyfriend the morning of the performance show. And by interested, I mean she's available.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I don't know why some people who obviously don't like the show feel the need to come here and constantly trash the show and those who like it, rather than finding something else to do.

It's a discussion forum. We're here to discuss the show--both the good and bad aspects. Opposing viewpoints tend to make for better discussion than a forum full of cheerleaders.

I've been a fan of Idol for years, and one of the reasons I kept watching this trainwreck of a season was so I would know what Hanson was referencing when I read his spot-on posts the following day. So keep up the good work--I'll keep enjoying your posts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks