What's new

American Idol - Season 9 (2 Viewers)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Anyone else find it odd that Crystal didn't feminize the lyrics in the last song?"

Nod to Ellen perhaps.....

Not that there is anything wrong with that....

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Interesting read:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2010/05/casey-james-you-dont-always-get-the-chance-to-do-what-you-want-to-do/1

Wednesday, when you sang Daughters as your exit song, you had a touching moment where you walked into the audience, picked up a little girl and wound up singing behind the judges table. Who was that girl?

That was my cousin's daughter, Lindy, who I watch from time to time. Me and her and her brother, Jaron -- that was the boy sitting right next to her -- I just love them very much. They're super-good kids.

When I started the song, I was prepared and everything, but, not having my guitar, it was, like, oh, you know ... And then I realized, "Wait a minute! I can walk around!" So I started walking.

Lindy had been wanting to give me a hug all day. Being a little girl who doesn't understand show business, she doesn't know that I can't go out and give her a hug. All she knows is that I'm not. When I saw her, I was, like, "Oh, yeah, I'm outta here, they can't tell me not to give my little cousin a hug!" It worked out really perfect. I'm so glad that it worked out that way.
----------------------------
You had a couple consecutive weeks in the bottom three. Did that put some pressure on you, make you feel like you needed to change some things?

Absolutely not. And I don't mean that I wasn't concerned.

Going into this, from day one, I had made up my mind to just do what I do and be happy in the Lord with the results, you know what I mean? If I start doing things to try to get somewhere on the show, that's when I lose who I am artistically and I lose my self-respect. I wasn't going to play that game.
----------------------------
It'll be nice knowing you don't have to have a day job for a while.

You know what? My day job was always music. If I have to go back to playing music, that's what I was going to do anyway.

The only thing that'll change is that I won't be playing for people who are trying to a) get drunk, or b) find a woman or man, or c) hit somebody. Hopefully, I'll be playing for people who are there to hear me play and that have respect for me as an artist.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The story about the little girl is really cute.

I like the comment about the people he won't be playing for anymore. :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Due to work and some family commitments I taped Tuesday's show...never watched it, taped over it and didn't even bother with catching the "results" (I'm sure the suspense was unbearable!). First time that's happened since I starting watching...in Season Two. Hopefully Lee will win and can get advice on the fall from the top from Taylor Hicks.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The the four or five of you still somewhat interested in the show, what do you think they need to do to pull this show from the abyss?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The the four or five of you still somewhat interested in the show, what do you think they need to do to pull this show from the abyss?

Hanson,

I agree with you that for next season they need *all new judges* at a bare minimum. Also, no more than three judges total.

Also:

1. Show the actual results total on a weekly basis.

2. Start with a Top 24 of 12 males and 12 females and lose the bottom two irrespective of sex each week to get down to the Top 12. Due to the way it was done this season, we lost too many of the better female singers that were in the top 24 -- and retained too many of the poorer male singers.

3. Broaden the "Themes". A "Sinatra" week or a "Beatles" week is a little too restrictive. How 'bout a "Rat Pack" week and a "'60s Rock" week instead?

4.Let the judges choose the songs for the contestants starting with the "Top 5". Or have an on-line poll of three songs/contestants and let the fans of the contestants decide on the song.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Take it back to three judges, get some new, competent judges, and I think it was you who said get rid of the instruments and just focus on the voices. Open up the available song list, and maybe get rid of themes and just let the contestant be who they are. Certainly rotate the song list so we don't hear the same song over and over, year after year. "Sorry, you can't do Alone. It's been run into the ground." Maybe cut down on the "stupid people" auditions and just show a serious slate of candidates from the beginning, including *all* of the eventual top 24. That way, you haven't already "favorited" a certain few and made the others play catch-up, but you still have people rooting for certain contestants who may or not make the final cut.

I've only been watching since season five, and have barely enjoyed it since that first year (I bailed last year and haven't watched an episode in about three weeks this year), so I may not be the one with the answers.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I could give a rat's ass about the background "stories" of anyone prior to them making the Top 10. Seems like a lot of interest in new judges, but how 'bout a new host? I haven't like Seacrest from day one and I've liked him less with each passing season. How about restricting some of the judges' comments---like they should restrict certain songs. No more "it was aiight", "pitchy", "with the hundreds/thousands/millions of songs you could choose from..." and the old standby, "First, you look beautiful/incredible/fantastic tonight, but...".

I joked to a friend that after Lee sang "Hallelujah" that Simon should have criticized him on song choice!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

1) A new panel of judges: 2 permanant, and 1 rotating guest judge (mentors, industry experts including agents, singers, etc).

2) Mentors every single week.

3) More minutes dedicated to singing (this is a change that is happening). I wouldn't mind enough time for the average song to be sung in its entirety.

4) Results shows shouldn't play out like an episode of LOST. The promised 30-minute format is great.

5) In the vein of more singing, once you get to top 12 or 10 or whatever, switch to two songs per singer, and have one of those songs EACH WEEK picked by a judge.

6) Broad and contemporary genre themes, and that's it. No more music of the Beatles or Elvis--Rock, Country, Big Band, Pop.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I think it's be more valuable to get input from people who don't watch the show, but would if ___________________.

I watch because none of the things I dislike about the show are enough to turn me away. I don't want Ellen as a judge. I don't want 4 judges. I don't like that the performances have to be so short. I'm not a big fan of theme weeks. I don't like the big drawn out drama of the results shows, but since they aren't performance shows, I feel no need to watch them. At the end of the day, all I care about is seeing performances I enjoy.

I think it'd be amazing to allow contestants to perform an original song each week at a certain point. It can be either one they've written, or pick from a catalog. I'd really like to see some originality beyond redoing songs that are already popular. They can double up and also sing popular well-known songs.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Let America vote, so we don't get more lame winners like Sandra.

Oops, wrong show.

Most of the changes suggested so far would make the show worse.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Myself, I HATE theme weeks...but I think that has more to do with all the lame themes than anything else. If you're going to have themes, think outside the box.

IMO, the series goes on for way too long. The audition shows are awful, predictable tripe, and the only reason they exist is so the producers can begin a season-long pimping campaign of their latest hand-picked favorites. Start off with Hollywood week. I don't care if I ever see another "bad" audition...

Note to the showrunners: I don't want you to tell me who I am supposed to like. Here's an idea... I'll tell you!

Let the contestants sing an entire song. How is that in a bloated two-hour performance show, the Idol wanabees only get 90 seconds to actually perform. And, we're supposed to be able to accurately assess their talent ability and vote for a favorite after that? Really?

Ryan has become insufferable. The judges, even more-so. Start over from scratch.

Personally, I am not sure the show CAN be saved at this point. It so long-in-the-tooth and has been so heavily manipulated by the producers, I don't even think they should try. Just shoot it and put it out of its misery...

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by pitchman

IMO, the series goes on for way too long. The audition shows are awful, predictable tripe, and the only reason they exist is so the producers can begin a season-long pimping campaign of their latest hand-picked favorites. Start off with Hollywood week. I don't care if I ever see another "bad" audition...

Why don't you just start watching during Hollywood week, and those of us that want to see the auditions can tune in earlier?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks