1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 8

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bryan X, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Stan

Stan Producer

Never really noticed her dancing until she was booted tonight (I just listen while doing other things while singers of her caliber are on) but wow her dancing is hideous.

At least the Elaine dance was a joke, I think Megan's is the real thing. It can actually be pretty difficult to dance that badly on purpose, but she can certainly pull it off.

Normally don't like tats, but recently I've been seeing a lot of things I believe are called tribal tattoos. They're kind of cool looking, not just a bunch of intermingled junk to form a complete sleeve of tats down your arm.

Still a lot of lousy singers to clear out. I was originally thinking Adam, Kris, Allison and Matt to the final four, but wasn't to impressed with Matt, and looks like Allison may not have the fan base behind her. I still think Adam and Kris will fight it out til the end.

2. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

What the hell was with Megan tonight? Was she high or something? She looked like an absolute retard. Thank god she is gone. Her weirdness totally overshadows her looks. Bye bye.

Lady Ga Ga...WTF? Guess I'm completely out of touch with pop music because I've never even heard of her and after tonight don't want to either.

David Cook. Hated that big headed alien poser last season, still hate him.

3. Stan

Stan Producer

I know what you mean. I listen to a lot of stuff that I think is fairly current, but who the hell is Lady Ga Ga? Actually thought it might have been Adams' drag persona. And what was the deal with her backup dancers in those silly pants? Looked like decent dancers, but all I kept seeing were their bony ankles floating in the fog.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    You piss off a judge and that's what happens.

Ah well, at least now we're left with people with two normal arms.

Who in the living hell is Lady Gaga? [​IMG] Good lord she blew! The piano filled with bubbles was cool, though.

5. James Lee

James Lee Stunt Coordinator

Attention Lady GaGa, Madonna called. She wants her dance moves returned ASAP.

Oh, and you better fire your tailor. He/she obviously has no idea where to sew a zipper.

6. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I don't claim to listen to current music regularly, but I do ask the younger people who come through my life what they're listening to, so I know of Lady Gaga. I watched a video (You Tube or elsewhere) of Lady Gaga performing and while I can sometimes get into current artists because what they're singing simply catches me, I spent the whole time watching that video with a "WTF" look on my face. I haven't seen the AI results show yet (I'm only half way through the performance show), but it sounds like many of you had the same reaction.

Still, they haven't plucked her from obscurity to be on AI. She IS a name on the music scene today. Her CD The Fame has an average score of 71 out of 100 at Metacritic. She has also written songs for other artists like Pussycat Dolls and Britney. That has little to do with her performances other than to point out there is some substance there (she worked for a record company before becoming a singer).

7. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Lady Gaga was the only enjoyable part of the results show. She's pretty badass, especially the eye zipper, which I would definitely wear to work if I wouldn't clash with my suit. She is quite amazing and a multi-talented artist. Saw her show at the House of Blues in Boston this week and was blown away. She's miles ahead of any of the new artists on the scene and turned a small venue club show into something that would rival Madonna on a larger scale (and I'm a Madonna superfan). Gaga looked like a worthy successor to Madonna's throne, when she's ready to part with it. Fox must have made her dial down her outfit, because she looked quite demure (for her) last night!

Glad to see Megan go. There, I made my post relevant to AI!

8. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I LOVED what Simon said to Megan. I really can't stand when these "kids" are arrogant about their BAD performances. And if one more contestant defends their rotten performance with "I had fun" . . .

If you're there to just have fun, go sing at a gay bar on karaoke night. I thought you were there to become the next American Idol.

9. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I also loved how Simon treated Megan.

That girl thought, or at least behaved as though she thought the entire thing was a joke. While it's clear to many that numerous aspects of the show are effectively "fixed," and others remain sketchy as to their fairness, there is something to be said about decorum, manners, and politeness on a show where you have the chance for your life to literally be changed. "Caw cawing" and bird-walking your way to the stools of doom might be funny, in that it references a horrible performace of Rockin' Robin, but, in the end, it's simply disrespectful. Waving like a damn idiot/mocking the show when the camera falls on you, highlighting that you are "in danger," is likewise disrespectful.

I, for one, think Simon should have made *more* of an example of her on national television, in front of the rest of the singers.

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    That comment was totally hypocritical on Simon's part. What Megan was saying was that she didn't care that Simon hated the performance, not that she didn't care about the show. The reason it's hypocritical is that Simon wasn't listening or paying attention (ie, doing his job) at the time, so he got Paula's telephone tag version, which was, "I don't care". It's been obvious all season that Simon would rather be somewhere else -- if anyone doesn't care about the show, it's Simon, not Megan.

It appears that if a contestant gets voted off, they should act like their dreams are crushed. If they act relieved or have made peace with it, they are "disrespectful" or "arrogant". I think that's ludicrous. Quite frankly, the judges comments this year have been horrendous, and their "advice", as always, is total crap. I worst thing a contestant can do on this show is to try to blindly follow their advice, because it's all pretzel logic anyway. If the contestants want to mock that, I say it's well deserved.

11. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

My point was that for the last few episodes, Megan has been treating the show with a distinct lack of respect, thinly veiled behind "quirkiness."

To misquote A Few Good Men, "she had no code, she had no honour, and in the end, Simon was watching."

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

And "she can't handle the truth!!!"

13. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Weren't Nicholson and Sutherland the villians in that movie? Weren't they clearly in the wrong? Wasn't it the point that you can't lean on things like that to justify assholery? (the assholes are the producers and judges, not you, Josh).

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

Ah but in their minds they weren't, in their minds they were "saving lives".

I look at the Simon not caring situation and equate it to the following, the boss is allowed to hate his job all he wants because he's the boss.

If an employee pisses off the boss he or she gets canned and that's what happened to Megan.

15. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Did you even see the show? The problem with Megan was saying she didn't care what the judges thought- that is pretty stupid in a competition, and it's quite a ways from "act relieved or have made peace with it".

16. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

There's no doubt she was inexperienced at performing (*cough*). I just also think her behaviour before and after she was singing, especially in the last two weeks, was shameful. Would her mother approve of her "caw cawing" her way to the stools? How about waving at the camera, shrieking "hi! hi!" glaring like an idiot, effectively saying "this whole thing is stupid, so I'm going to behave stupidly, too?." To me, she wasn't "keeping it real" to her fans of the Rockin' Robin song, and she wasn't being quirky. She was just being rude.

Also, I'm sure there are many who would argue that Jack's character in A Few Good Men wasn't totally in the wrong. But, then that's a discussion for another thread (and one which would most definately become locked within a few posts [​IMG] ).

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

Col. Jessup ordered the code red on Santiago and then lied about it on the stand, how could anyone...

Ah forget it. [​IMG]

18. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

It's off-topic, but that movie is my absolute favourite. Sorkin is a modern master of dialogue.

Back on topic, I hope, at the very least, the other singers finally realize that they have to "bring it" from now on, and act like they want to be there, lest they be embarassed by Simon on national television. Though, if you haven't realized that by now, perhaps you don't deserve to be there anyway...

19. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    Megan may or may not be hot due to her tattoo and her strange antics. Her baby boy has his mother back until the tour. The end.

Can we get back on track now please?

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I actually enjoyed "Don't Stop Belivin'" Perhaps Randy should have played bass, for a change, given that they keep mentioning he was once a member of Journey... (and yes, I know he wasn't a member at the time said song was first recorded)

Bye bye Megan. You won't be missed (at least not by me). She actually seemed relieved to go, perhaps she realised she was in over her head, missed her son, found it too much hard work? But she seemed to take it in her stride, and kudos to her for that -- public rejection can't be easy to take no matter what.

I thought earlier comments that Anoop was arrogant seemed OTT, and his behaviour here seems to justify that: when he was asked who should be in the bottom 3 between him and Scott, he readily admitted he should given Scott's good performance, and so it turned out to be. He does seem supremely confident when he's performing, even slightly cocky, but isn't that inherent in all showmen? How can you "own the stage" if you don't think you belong on it?

A rather strange way of presenting the results, get them all to walk onto stage while placing them in different groups. Perhaps it's just to shake it all up a bit, otherwise it gets a tad predictable?