What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

RickGr

Second Unit
I wonder if for Mariah Carey week they will allow everyone to run their vocals through two or three electronic processors as they sing to give it the sound that for some reason Mariah is in love with anymore.
Its too bad that Mariah does that as she has (or had) one of the best singing voices and range in the industry. Her first album was really a showcase for her vocals but anymore she sounds mechanical.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I WILL miss Ramiele. She's a very good singer, although she never did anything after Hollywood week, but she's just so darn cute. So if horny teenagers can keep Kristy Lee Cook around on her looks, then I can wish Ramiele stuck around longer because she's so darn cute. And I don't care what you say, she sure didn't deserve to go home BEFORE Kristy Lee.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

tu'meytows, tu'maatows.....

David Archeleta is becoming increasingly annoying....he is downright spooky

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like Kristy. She has improved the last few weeks. If it wasn't for her souless eyes she would be very hot.

I like country music, and she is really good at it. I think a lot of the Kristy haters are also those who look down at country music.

I hope she can stay around a few more weeks to see if she can keep improving.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Country music has feeling to it. Kristy has none. She sang a song about a poor little girl whose mother made her a coat sewn from different rags of other worn out clothes, wore it so proudly to school, only to have all the kids make fun of her. And she sang it like, "Yee haw! Ain't we having some fun now!" It's not a fun song. It's a sad, pathetic song and she sucked the meaning, the soul and the emotion right out of it. There is more to singing a country song than having a little country twang to your voice.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately most of her arrangements have been "rushed" so to speak... I agree the song needed more emotion and less twang. I still like Kristy - she's getting better but I have yet to see the star quality that she had in her original audition - at which time I picked her to win the whole thing. She's got the looks AND the voice (although we've only had small glimpses of the voice lately) but she needs to work on stage presence and find a soulful rather than awful arrangement next week or she may be toast.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Let's see...approximately 30 million people tuning in. About 29 million are extremely familiar with the Jackson version and have never heard the Cornell version. The other 1 million have heard the Cornell version, and don't think anyone could possibly do better (and judging from the backlash, they're now dissatisfied that Cook didn't give Cornell enough credit).

Sounds pretty risky.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

What's the overlap between American Idol viewers and Chris Cornell fans? Which arrangement would appeal to most Idol viewers? How did he know it would work? Did Syesha know that her song would work because it was a huge hit for Whitney Houston?

For that matter, what proportion of Idol viewers actually give a crap about the source of the arrangements? I doubt that the contestants are encouraged to use their five seconds of banter with the judges to go into detail about them.

I'm pretty sure that the judges are aware of what happens outside of the couple of hours of dress rehearsal and show taping. The songs and arrangements that are available for the contestants come from a list of licenseable stuff -- they don't just come up with them as they go along.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I still don't know the theme for next week, but it looks like they're doing something different and having Idol Gives Back on Wednesday and a traditional elimination show on Thursday. So, no one gets a free pass this time.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I for one was glad to see Ramiele go. For the past few weeks, she seemed like she didn't even care to be there. She went from being so happy (auditions) to just ho hum alright I will sing for you.

Jason Castro really freaks me out lately. Something about his eyes and the way he moves his mouth when he sings. I can't watch him when he performs.

Love David Cook's new do. He looks a thousand times better.

I still don't get the praise and joy over Michael Johns' singing. The boy shouts every song. Every song. He hasn't hit one note yet properly.

Brooke is starting to bore me to tears. She needs to pull a great performance out of her ass or go home.

David Archuletta was awesome, but something is odd about his mouth when he sings and talks. I will say that boy is beyond genuine when he takes critism and when he recieves praise. I really like him.

Glad to see what Bo Bice is up to. I hated his first release, but based on the clip of his newest album, it sounds like he went straight back to his roots. Good for him.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Ramiele might have started a good trend: If you get booted, you get to stick your head in KLC's bosom for an entire minute on national TV as your consolation prize.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as one that doesn't get the love for KLC. To me, she's average, at best. IMO IMO IMO!! (before anyone freaks out ;) ) Plus, I can't stand her eyebrows. Ugh.

This season is sorely lacking a stunna, like Kat McPhee. That's why I was CRUSHED when Cardin missed the top 24 by ONE spot.

So sad.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

He knew there was a good chance it would work, because, as I said previously, it worked already for Cornell. Everything about what Cook did, was done successfully by Cornell. The concept itself, the tempo, the tone, the inflection in the lyrics, the emphasis on certain words in the song, the music. Done, done and done.

Taking a different previously uncovered MJ song, and covering it, would have been much more risky. Take a song like Don't Stop Till You Get Enough which to my knowledge has never been successfully covered....He'd take the arrangment created by or with the house band, which itself would have never been previously tested as the Billie Jean song was when done by Cornell.

I like David Cook. But in my opinion, what he did was akin to having some of the answers to a test, ahead of time. Again, I give him credit for pulling it off because I don't think Michael Johns or any of the other contestants with a rock leaning could have. I can even give him credit for knowing enough about the music that is out there to pick interesting versions of songs to perform.

You pretty much answered your own question bringing up Syesha's choice to do the Whitney Houston song. She took a song that's extremely difficult to cover successfully, and she did so without any previously successful cover to work with.

Cook had the previously successful cover to work with when he created his cover of a cover, and therein lies the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks