1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well again IMHO, she did. They are both different styles and ranges but I thought Melinda had far more control of her abilities than Jordin. Jordin cracked a few times throughout some of her performances. That, (too me) is an issue when it really comes down to performing live in front of thousands on tour, or on t.v. shows. Will Jordin grow into a great singer, probably but she's not there yet as far as I'm concerned.

Is Melinda famous now, yes I soon will not forget Melinda Dolittle, but her fame should have been based on her winning AI for her singing talents alone not that she got the boot and two singers who were not in her league were kept over her. But unfortunately that' how Idol works and I'm glad the music industry doesn't work the same way.

I personally thought Blake should have been bounced before Melinda and actually before Lakisha and believe me I was no fan of Lakisha, but her voice was far greater than Blake and isn't he like 27 years old. Proof in the pudding again that the younger crowd is voting for what I think are some of the wrong reasons to vote for an American Idol. Any way like I stated earlier, I'm done with the show and I absolutely don't care who wins this year or any subsequent year.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Liking Jordin's voice more than Melinda's is perfectly reasonable, but the idea that Melinda isn't far more skilled at using her instrument, and more consistent, is laughable. (Granted, at 17 Jordin still has plenty of room to grow.)

John, that article you linked is weird. It complained of Melinda being flat-chested -- twice! I mean, she ain't Lakisha, but I certainly wouldn't call her flat.

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

>

I think there's also a third camp that believes that Melinda was 20 times better than Blake--in every way--but was running neck-and-neck with Jordin. I was in that camp. There were at least three perfomances by Melinda this season that I thought were perfect in every way. (And I'm talking singing *and* presentation.) And Jordin had two performances like that. One was the Tom Jones song that she sang last Tuesday. *IF* Melinda and Jordin had gone head-to-head this week, either singer could have won, IMO.

I've defended AI twice in this thread for giving Melinda the exposure that she deserved; but that doesn't mean that I agree with the voting that pushed Blake over her for the final show. But I *am* going to continue to view the show. I'm certainly not going to give up on it just because one of my favorite performers was not voted into the final. And by the way, if you didn't at least attempt to vote then you have no right to complain.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

I know, I found that strange too, I actually had to pause for a moment while reading and think "is this a typo? Melinda was pretty stacked".

5. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hm, you may be right about that. Pretty lousy writing.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    PLEASE stop torturing us (and the contestants) with these 'original' songs every season.

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Between the 'original' song and the repeat song we've already heard them do before, this show is excruciatingly boring.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas
    Blake: C-

Jordin: B

Maybe the sound problems had something to do with it, but I thought Blake did worse this time with "You Give Love A Bad Name." I thought "She Will Be Loved" was off-pitch pretty much the entire time; it was horrible. He couldn't and didn't do much with the last song.

Jordin was pretty good with "Fighter" and "Broken Wing." I don't know what to say about the last song, except for that it sucks. She may win based on tears, but it doesn't matter. She was the better performer and singer by far tonight.

Melinda during Jordin's performance of "This Is My Now;" sending death rays or extremely bored?

[​IMG]

10. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

lessee........how succinct shall I be?
    Game point, set point, match point, championship point.[​IMG]
    Jordin Sparks.
    This was actually close until the 3rd song.........but Blake was thrown a wicked slurve, then a slider, then a 100 MPH fastball. Strike 3....you're out. Jordin was throw an 80 MPH fastball right down the middle and tatooed it over the fence. Ballgame. That last song destroyed any chance Blake had of winning..........that's not his genre and there wasn't any way he wins a straight vocal-vs-vocal against Jordin. Jordin was awesome tonight though..............she beats Melinda if Melinda is there. Great champ!

11. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    Nice screen grab. I missed that.

I like Blake, but I've gotta give Jordin the nod tonight. Weather she wins or not, I think she'll be the most successful contestant of this season.

Also, nice to see Chris Daughtry on stage tonight.

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

My god in heaven I hope your right.

Both Chris and Melinda look very deadly serious lol, looking at that screen grab it reminds me of the scene in Malcolm X right before the hit squad ran up to the stage to assasinate Denzel.

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Let me explain something.

No matter how many times Simon insists that this is a SINGING COMPETITION, it is not.

This show is ALL ABOUT SELLING RECORDS.

Melinda is not a performer. she is technically sound, but that doesn't mean people will buy her records. she performed all season as if she was a backup singer: she blended well into the background and was "shocked" whenever anyone told her she was good. Melinda has been in the industry for how many years? Surely if she was worth something, SOMEONE would have noticed by now, wouldn't they? Hell, Jordin and others have ZERO experience and they can stir an audience 10 times better than Melinda.

A year down the road, would you prefer to listen to a Tina Turner recording of city limits, or would you choose to listen to a Melinda Doolittle recording of the same song? Would you choose to listen to Whitney Houston's version of a song, or Melinda Doolittle's? My guess is Tina and Whitney, as they are true performers.

My prediction that Melinda will have a very short career, and that this show may do her more harm than good, as she tries to make a run as a frontwoman, struggles to sell records, but either refuses to go back to a backup role, or continues to struggle through mediocre success as a soloist.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

"Melinda Doolittle: a technically sound singer, but does anyone remember her?"

btw... anyone else think Blake tanked that last night on purpose?

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I'm inclined to believe that Blake considered himself the runner-up after last week's results. The Maroon 5 song was very iffy, and he showed no confidence in the "original" song.

I don't think I've heard a more cliché-ridden piece of drivel in the history of AI debut singles.

15. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Supporting Actor

Jordin absolutely vaporized Blake tonight. She'd have killed Melinda too I believe. Damn she was on tonight.

16. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris

Yeah, and she needs to fire her stylist for letting her wear that shirt again, I wonder if she took it off since she got the boot?

That original song sucked worse than Chris Richardson, I guess AI figured they needed to stack the deck in Jordin's favor...?

Paul is right on, the one thing AI is not is a singing competition.

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

I don't agree with a single sylable of that.

And tell me why you felt compelled to go down that road again when we were all set to let it go? [​IMG]

18. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

PRECISLEY why I won't be sticking around for any further seasons, i'm not into popularity contests, never was.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I still can't get past how Jordin dwarfs Ryan when they stand side by side, it's just weird looking.

Though Jordin will win, I am not predicting great success in terms of album sales for her.

20. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

It was horrible all right, but not that horrible.