1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Maybe two albums, but I agree. Stylistically, she's totally different, but Melinda reminds me of Anita Baker....stunning voice, but not marketable enough to have a long career with mass appeal.

The under 25 demographic is the biggest buyer of music today, and how many 25 and unders are going to buy Melinda's music? They're much more likely to buy Jordin's music. Give Jordin a team of stylists, and the usual army of engineers, producers, and song writers that go into making a pop album today, and she can have a big hit album, maybe even a few.

Blake might get one decent album out of this, but I can't imagine the largest part of his fan base being anyone other than the under 17 female demographic. Seriously, my teenage daughter and a hundred of her closest schoolmates thought he was hot when the season started, but he was "over" for them 6 weeks later.

I don't see any of these three, or any of the past AI winners for that matter being popular 10 years from now other than possibly any which are country artists.

The mainstream popular music industry just doesn't focus on building 10 year careers. It's simply not all that common for an artist to last that long today and I suspect a Billboard Top 40 chart from even 5 years ago is probably littered with artists who had a hit song or two and faded into oblivion.

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    [​IMG]

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Hanson...

You nailed it!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I have to disagree with that statement.

There was no improvement needed. Every genre of music that
    she was hit with, week after week, she pretty much nailed it!

You couldn't say that for Jordin during Bon Jovi week, nor
    Blake on a few more occasions than that. Melinda was
    absolutely consistent week after week. You knew she was going to
    come out each and every time and blow it out of the ballpark.

Some of you make some terrific points about this actually being a
    blessing. It certainly was for Bo Bice who actually was relieved
    he lost so that he wasn't under as much contract control over what he
    wanted to do. For Melinda, this loss just gives her more freedom
    that perhaps a winner may not have.

You can call me a "whiner" if yuh want, but really, the show ended
    for me this week. I'll be back amongst all of you next year in hopes
    that we get a far better selection of finalists and that someone worthy
    actually becomes the next American Idol.

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    It might be a matter of perception: voters saw the improvement, in particular with Jordin (whom I think will now win it), and it impressed them, whereas Melinda was just great week-in week-out and took it for granted. Somehow that doesn't necessarily register in the mind. Hence, the professional judge of talent, Simon, only said he wanted "his girl Melinda" in the final when asked on Tuesday to predict the result, but the amateur judges of America didn't see it that way.

As for a showstopping performance (since everyone keeps going on about Fantasia's Summertime), I would point to Melinda's My Funny Valentine during a fairly early show. I actually don't much like the song, but boy did her rendition make my hair stand (in a good way)!

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    This is the first season of AI that I've actually watched, so I am still new at this.

However, I would suggest that the voting public is also the record buying public.

Melinda was perhaps a technically perfect singer, but I think that is the best we can say about her.

In 6 months (I imagine all their CD's will come out just before Christmas or so?), do you think anyone will actually remember Melinda?

I'd remember Blake, of course because he is unique, and Jordin, the AI winner at only 17 years old, and I would be INTERESTED in those two. (most likely I wouldn't remember all 3 of them... or anyone from this season, because no one really gave me the total package. I hope past seasons have been better)

Simon says it's a singing competition, but at the end of the day they are there to sell records, and you are not going to achieve that by putting people behind a screen.

Melinda's "Tribute to Iwo Jima" as Hansoon suggested earlier was a moment that I just found SO manufactured and forced. She did not look comfortable in that moment at all and I think that speaks significantly about how comfortable she would be IN A LEAD ROLE on stage.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've only watched a little of past seasons, but I saw last year's finale, and Taylor and maybe Katherine debuted their singles candidates during the show. Is that always what happens, and can be expected next week? Also, I believe they did a duet together. Another thing to expect?

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think this year they will sing the song that was voted on as the best submitted song over the course of the show this season.

9. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott

That is exactly my opinion. But I bet we disagree on which 2. LOL

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The producers always pick the winner's debut single, and they sing it during the finale (along with a couple other songs). This year there was a songwriting competition for the first single as voted on by viewers, but I don't know if they pick the final song or just narrow it down with the producers making the final choice.

As far as a duet, I don't know. Jordin's and Blake's styles are different enough that I'm not sure that would work well.

Perhaps Jordin will beatbox and Blake will wail. [​IMG]

11. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I will, just like I remembered Elliott. But the only song passably interesting to me from Elliott's CD was the one he performed on the show, so I didn't get his CD. I don't know how I'll feel about Melinda's CD until she releases it. But then, I'm definitely not in the target demographics.

I go back to what Simon said a long time ago -- I really hope she does well.

As for Jordin not being on anyone's radar, she was on my radar from the moment she sang Celine Dion's Because You Loved Me in her audition. In fact, I made a copy of it at the time. Still, I thought she was 3rd to Lakisha and Melinda. As time went on, I moved her into 2nd because Lakisha was really faltering. Jordin had one performance that really impressed me, but I didn't see her moving past Melinda in the minds of the public until I read some of the comments here. I can see the younger demos connecting more with Jordin, and it does nothing to impact my appreciation for Melinda.

BTW, Melinda may or may not fade, but she can always go back to doing what she was doing before -- except with all the AI exposure, she'd be even more successful at it now (more in demand). I'm happy for her all around.

BTW, we really need some concrete numbers in this thread because it's difficult for me to take on faith folks saying things like Ruben and Fantasia did nothing in the market whereas Kellie Pickler has. That goes against every fact I've ever read (though I have no links handy at the moment). Maybe some folks just listen to Killie Picker-type music more than they do R&B (Ruben/Fantasia), so they hear more about Kellie Pickler for that reason.

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

All the COOL kids, like me and Ron and Mikah, will.

13. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Another thing about Melinda and the show in general. The judges often makes comments about age and "sounding old" or this or that.

If this were truly a singing contest, then singing anything would be ok. Sounding like someone from 1940 would be irrelevant as it's a judge of the quality of the singing not the style.

But was we know it's a whole package, not vocal qualilty alone.

let us not forget that in the end, they are creating a product to sell.

I find it hard to believe that anyone believes that this is merely a singing contest.

14. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> They would always perform behind a screen and you would only hear them

Worst idea I've heard in ages.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I didn't offer it as an idea. I'm just saying if you wanted to make it a true singing competion based solely on vocal talents, like so many here seem to be yearning for, that's what would have to happen.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

Hey, don't forget me, I think i've been very prominant in my support of our girl. [​IMG]

I agree with Ron, you can't improve on perfection.

17. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    For me, whatever genre she was hit with, she reached back and took an old song and made it sound the same as the other old songs she did. I think Have a Nice Day was the only song she sung from this century, and that sounded like she was spitting up hairballs. If you didn't think she sounded old, then I guess you'd enjoy it. But if you did, it became tiresome and repetitive.

On a different note, I was wrong but basically right about the text votes. Actually, you cannot text vote unless you have Cingular/AT&T as your carrier, but standard messaging rates apply. Which means that the recent unlimited texting plans do have a significant impact on voting (so my senryu is still correct). How much of an impact?

Someone pointed this out three years ago in this forum, and it is absolutely on the mark: When it gets to this point where there are so few contestants, the phone lines become saturated as there isn't enough capacity to handle all the calls coming in to register votes. If all three lines are at capacity for the voting period, then all three contestants will end up with the same amount of dial-in votes.

Thus, the only difference maker is text votes. Melinda was kicked off not because her fans didn't call, but because her fans didn't text. In the time it took you to to call Melinda's lines 10 times and register 1 or 2 votes, someone else could hit the resend button on their cell phone 300 times. And instead of costing their parents $15 like it did last year, it's included in the plan. They could do it all night.

And finally, I finally collected all the Separated at Births from the blogs and a few others in one place. You can follow the link in my sig.

18. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    That reminds me: anyone remember LaToya London? Who was another technically sound singer, but was beaten by Fantasia, Diana and Jasmine in S3, I think. And a few years later, hasn't released a record as far as I'm aware, or if she did it's hardly sold at all.

20. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

And the fact that that isn't enough is what's convinced me to give up this show after this year.

I tried it, it was fun for awhile but it's not for me and chances are extremely good that the same nonsense is going to happen next year, too.

An article I read that cemented my decision...

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/mu...990001?cid=918

I don't understand why they keep pretending every year that this is a singing competiton when it clearly isn't, really, they should just combine America's Next Top Model and American Idol and be done with it because it isn't that far off now...The Next Top American Idol Model.