What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
From http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2608

This was the first #1 hit song with a rap. Artists like Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, and Kurtis Blow had been rapping since the mid-'70s, and The Sugarhill Gang had the first Top-40 hit earlier in 1980 with "Rapper's Delight," but until this, rap had never been incorporated into a hit Pop song. Debbie Harry did the rap, and it was really ridiculous, with lyrics about the "Man from Mars eating cars," but the novelty helped the song become a hit.
Until this came out, rappers always used existing songs as the basis for the music they would rap over. They usually took Disco or Soul records and looped the beats to extend the breaks. Debbie Harry's rap in this was nothing special, but it was the first rap in a song that had its own original music.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Expected results last night. My wife and I love the song Robin Thicke performed but he looks so much like his father it's hard to picture him in an R&B mode. Simply because his father was no where near coolness. Bon Jovi looked great, and that song was really pleasing to the ears.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I was annoyed by Phil going home, I really like Phil and I really just don't like LaKisha, but whatever Phil does in the future, I'll support him he's a good guy and I like his voice.

Thank God Chris is going home.

I like Robin Thicke's song, and yes Alan is his dad, he's also married to Paula Patton who starred in Deja Vu and the music video to "Lost Without U". That song is not his normal singing voice either.

I really just can't get into Bon Jovi's new stuff, I love country, but his recent music isn't really that country and it isn't rock, its sort of just there, at least for me.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Beyond the rap origins and who's voted out, the most burning question is "Where is Hanson and his weekly report?!" I'm sorry but it just ain't official until Hanson passes judgement on the contestants! Hanson, your fans miss you. We need our soul-sucking demon clowns, Egyptian prom dresses, and zombie vomit. Please come back Hanson!

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
Glad Chris finally went home.

I am one of the few people I know who didn't like Bon Jovi back in the day and feels no nostalgia listening to them today. My wife, of course, loves them. Jon is fairly well spoken for a rock star though, I'll give him that.

I liked Robin Thicke's song. Nice 70's vibe on that one. Visually he is a carbon copy of his dad. I kept waiting for him to sing "well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum..."

Unfortunately I think Jordin may have ruined her chance of winning this thing on Tuesday. Oh well, the neckless wonder technically deserves to win if this is, as Simon repeatedly asserts, "a singing competition"

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> My wife and I love the song Robin Thicke

Wow, somebody liked that? I thought it was worse than any performance this season by any contestant, yes, including Sanjaya. Or was it supposed to be a parody?

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
"Wow, somebody liked that?"

It takes different strokes, yes it takes different strokes, well it takes different strokes to move the world, oh yes it does

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

If only you had been. You might have been able to chew through my eardrums and spare me the agony.

I had an MRI this morning -- you know, the kind with such loud BUZZING and BANGING that they give you earplugs to wear?

Which was more pleasant? Well, the MRI at least came with earplugs. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I just listened to a bunch of clips off his most recent album. The voice sounds the same there to me. This guy is awful. I wish Idol had never brought him onto my radar.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was just listening, doing some clean-up around my house during AI, and when that Robin Thicke dude was singing, I thought it was a female singer's voice, and then I saw him on the TV screen and was shocked by the sounds coming out of his mouth.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The first time I heard that song by Robin Thicke on XM I thought he sounded a lot like Prince with his falsetto.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks