1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

Thank you! I'm so glad someone else feels that way.

If he wants to make sound effects go work for Skywalker Sound already, i'm sick of that beat boxing garbage passing for singing.

I liked everyone tonight except for Jordin, don't know what happened to her tonight, Chris and Blake.

2. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

Probably best to leave it at that and realize taste is subjective. It's perfectly fine to say you didn't enjoy it and/or it's not your cup of tea, but I see no point in being indignant because some others don't share your tastes or restrictions in musical genre enjoyment.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Amen to that! I'm glad someone's shaking things up a bit. Other than Blake, I feel like I'm watching auditions for wedding singers.

All the contestant performances are available for paid download at the American Idol website. They run about a day behind, so tonight's songs won't be available until tomorrow (I think).

4. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    The last comment I will make about tonight's blake love fest....

I would have rather watched Sanjaya sing.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Jordin and Chris deserve to go. They were the only two that didn't move my pulse even a little bit. I loved what Blake did, and Melinda made it clear that this season is hers to lose. That performance was incredible, absolutely incredible.

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan

Knock yourself out:

[​IMG]

7. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

I enjoy artists that do different things. I like that Blake can take a song that is so memorable and so popular and turn it into something different. I get sick of the same old crap that contestants spew out night after night. It's nice to see someone go the extra mile to make it fun and do something other than just stand there and sing a song like so many others have in the past.

He only beat boxed a few songs, so I don't get the whole " I'm sick of his beat boxing" thing.

I tink that is why radio is so boring to me over the past few years, because people sing the same songs the same way and bring nothing different to the table. I like a good vocal as much as the next person, but mix it up a bit, do something cool and unique..... like Blake did.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I am an old-school metalhead, I can't stand beatboxing, and yet I really dug Blake's performance tonight. Note that I didn't like ANY of his other beatboxing this season. The arrangement he did tonight worked much better than it had any right to. He took a big gamble, and it totally paid off. He put his own stamp on the song without losing its essence.

Jordin is REALLY lucky that the votes are being combined with last week's, because she would be in serious trouble otherwise. She still might go. She was the only person tonight who was bad (I didn't think Chris and Phil were all that great, but they were at least decent).

The third big surprise was Lakisha. Maybe she should consider becoming a rocker. She had energy and passion back that she'd been lacking for at least a month.

Melinda continues to prove herself to be the best singer they've ever had on this show. Maybe she will accept the invitation to join Bon Jovi -- I thought the rocker look really worked for her. "Adorable" was the right word. [​IMG]

I hope Bon Jovi performs Runaway instead of It's My Life tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. At least Meat Loaf treated us to Bat Out Of Hell on Dancing With The Stars. . .

9. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Bon Jovi will probably sing the new single off their forthcoming album. No way does he do runaway. I'm guessing he is using Idol as a promotional tool so expect him to sing his new country song.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Wow! I don't know how to quite rate all of this. In fact, I'm sort
    of scared on many levels.

You folks are right -- Jordin was clearly the worst of the
    night, by no fault of her own. Let's face it -- this was a boy's night
    out and we knew that the girls would have a tough time with this
    material. On the other hand, Lakisha staged a huge comeback
    while Melinda proved that there is nothing she can't handle.

But to let Jordin go home because of this night? That's
    downright scary when you consider that she is, in my opinion, clearly
    one of the TOP 3 singers (Melinda, Lakisha, Jordin) and has the BEST
    chance of standing toe-to-toe with Melinda for the title.

Fortunately, the votes are being combined for two weeks and that
    alone may save the worst performance of the night.

Sure, Phil was very good tonight -- and I really did enjoy
    seeing Blake do something new and fresh with Livin' On
    A Prayer
    . You guys really have to give Blake credit on that
    rendition. I agree with all of you above who hate seeing these "karaoke"
    performances week after week. I was glued to the screen during his
    entire performance. It was cool! It was hip! He brought something
    "original" to a song and succeeded.

Tonight aside, the situation still remains that all three of the girls blow
    away the guys as far as overall talent is concerned. It's very hard for
    me to accept any of the ladies leaving before the guys.

My prediction is that Chris absolutely goes home tonight.
    The question is, who is the other guy that leaves tonight as well -or-
    are we going to even think of removing one of the three powerhouse
    women?

11. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris

That is a very thoughtful post and really puts this in the right context. Everyone's different and that's what makes life cool.

That being said, I am in the "Blake rocked the house" camp. How cool is it to take an iconic songlike that, reconstruct it and then tear the house down with it? Seriously, this was an enormous risk at this stage of the game and I have to give Blake props just for having the stones to even attempt it.

If there were any justice in this world, Richardson and Kiki would be going home...of course in my opinion only...[​IMG]

12. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Making barnyard sounds is not singing. I get the feeling that if Old MacDonald (Blake) sang Mary had a little Lamb and put in a few squeaks and pops, people would still be going all gaga over it.

I think what bothers me the most is that the singers were given a theme to sing in. Each week they are asked to sing in a different style. It seems like cheating to decide to not sing in the given theme just because it isn't in your comfort zone. Jordan, Melinda and Lakisha certainly showed more courage than Blake. It isnt "brave" to take a song in a style you suck at, and change it to be the one style that you are more comfortable singing. It is much more brave to attempt something that isnt in your comfort zone.

Would people still be panting if someone took a song during latin week and sang it in a rock style?

I thought the point of having themes is to see how the contestants do singing in that style.

13. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Somebody needs to let Lakisha know she lost her "thin" side a long time ago. She needs to be thankful for the wide angle lens.

14. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I think Lakisha is very self aware, and said it to be a joke, which did illicit some laughs from the audience and a smile from Ryan. But I guess that's why it's called a "sense" of humor, and no one really needs to tell Lakisha that at all.

15. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Ouch! I thought she looked pretty darn good last night. I'd prefer to look at her than one of those skin and bones girls that are all over the magazine rack. Work it KiKi!!!! [​IMG]

I thought Blake was great, and I haven't liked anything he has done in over a month. Phil was great, but maybe I just like the name [​IMG]

Jordin will be saved by her fantastic performance last week.

Bye Bye Chris. And maybe Phil. The talent seems pretty solid at this point in the competition. Chris is the only one I don't like, so whatever happens tonight, it will be a disappointment.

16. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Nick Greenwood

"You Give Love a Bad Name" actually, sorry Ron, Jordin did "Livin' On A Prayer".

I like Bon Jovi, I don't listen to them a whole lot but I do like them. Jordin wasn't the best, but she tried and she knew it wasn't going to be her week, I don't know why she didn't try another song, Jon's written some nice ballads over the years, I'd be interested to hear what she would do with "Bed of Roses" or something like that.

Phil was good, I like Phil, he's so nice, good song, good singing on the song. The Chorus's seemed a bit flat though, the verses he really rocked out, the chorus's were just sort of there. The guitar player who played Slide guitar made me cringe a bit, he doesn't seem to know how to play slide guitar very well, its not something that everyone can do, I mean there's only a handful of successful slide players out there, Derek Trucks, Duane Allman to name two.

I can't stand LaKisha, I thought that was a horrible performance, I cringed through most of it. She looked like she was going to eat the mike a couple of times during the song, makes me feel bad for the sound guys, they must have to fiddle with the volume of the mic's quite a bit during a song to keep it sounding some what decent. I was a bit surprised how much love she got from the judges, especially Simon. She also looked like she was going to a friends birthday party and not on tv, I wasn't a fan of the look either.

Blake, Simon nailed the comment, half of the people aren't going to like the rendition and half are. I'm in the half that loved it. It was different, it was original. Some people seem to think that Beat Boxing is the worst form of entertainment, I don't seem to understand that, I like beat boxing, some people (like Blake) are really good at it. Its not an excuse because he can't sing. The band "Scratch Track" does beat boxing and their lead singer has an amazing voice. Blake didn't do the same old, lets go out and sing the song straight because that's how America remembers/likes the song. I like Blake anyway, he certainly is the better of the male singers left, Phil isn't all that far behind him. Chris is just dreadful.

Chris, well I ended up fast forwarding through Chris. I noticed before I did FF through his song, that when Ryan called him "Justin Timberlake" he rolled his eyes. Apparently Timberfake doesn't like being referred to as Justin.

Melinda, I love Melinda, she's cute and she can really sing well, but she isn't a rocker, she sounded at times like she was coughing up a fur ball. At times she sounded great, but she would do that growl thing and it sounded awkward. That said I still want either her or Jordin to win.

Interesting night, Bon Jovi songs are hard as Jon has a different voice than most are probably used to and his songs are quite iconic and people remember them a certain way and want to hear them that way.

I nearly died laughing when Ryan made the comment about Simon and LaKisha's lipstick. Ryan seems to always make strange comments. And as always I had issues with the band. The drummer seems to be good, but that's about it, the guitar players and the bass player all try to do too much, almost like they're trying to steal the show. They're not the focus and I wish they wouldn't come out on stage to be honest.

17. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> God Blake sucked!!! What are you people watching????
    He ruined a good sign. It only proves he cant sing anything but rap/beatbox type crap.

We were watching American Idol. Apparently you're watching some other show, because Blake's performance was one of the most original and creative ever. It was like listening to a club remix of a song, except he did it live. Not many people can pull that off.

Apparently you've missed the show for several weeks, since he's done very little beatboxing for quite some time. He knows when to do it and when not to.

If you had actually paid attention to last night's show, you'd have noticed that he SANG about 2/3 of the song. It wasn't 3 minutes of nothing but beatboxing like your rant implies.

18. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

I just have to say something to a couple comments I'm reading in here. The style was Bon Jovi songs...........meaning rock. Last time I looked, Aerosmith did Hip-hop(Walk this way) BEFORE there even was such a thing. Do you really think that Tyler and Perry would have sung on Run-D.M.C if they hated the concept and the way the song came out? That song collabaration proved that rock 'n' roll is NOT just what everyone expects of it; it's much, MUCH more. You can diss it because you don't like what Blake did...........but don't diss it and infer it's NOT rock. It IS.
    This particular arguement was answered way back in 1986.........and an iconic rock band from Boston helped settle it. Rock 'n' roll is all-encompassing and has been changed, rearranged, and claimed by everyone. It is what it is because it continues to grow and expand. Too bad the tidal wave knocked over your little sand castle expectations............but that wave was started long ago and hasn't ever stopped. Too bad you won't grab a surfboard and ride; hell, even enjoy the wave...........instead of complaining that your 'sand castle' guidelines were washed away. Kudos to forward-thinkers and risk-takers!!

19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Unfortunately the 2/3 he did sing sounded awful to me as well. His voice is very thin and one dimensional.

I just don't get his popularity. I know I am in the minority. I just wanted to point out there are some people with opposing views since it seemed like everyone was starstruck with his "performance".

I had to suffor through a couple of weeks of styles I did not like and was looking forward to Rock week. But now I feel like Blake hiked up his leg and peed all over my favorite genre.

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    To put things in context, let me first state I'm a child of the 80s and love Bon Jovi.

That said, let me add I don't much like hip-hop, am not a fan of beatboxing. But I actually rather liked what Blake did. Save for the middle part, where he (IMHO) overindulged, it was quite good and different, and entertaining. And when he finally did just "sing it straight", I thought he did a pretty good job, considering the high benchmark that Jon Bon Jovi set.

Phil likewise did very well I thought. Chris, not so much, although he was better than he has been a while. Don't think it was enough to save himself, though.

As noted already, Jordin missed the mark, but should survive this week. Melinda as usual did good.

Lakisha? A bit meh for me, but it was all right. But having copped out slightly by choosing in effect a rock ballad, I'm just wondering why Jordin (or even Melinda) didn't go the same route -- e.g. Always (which would've been a major cop-out), Bed Of Roses etc.

And if Phil really does get booted, at least he goes out having sung a really appropriate song: "I'm going out, in a blaze of glory..." Indeed.