What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Ron,

Although I also have no problem with Howards show (although he lost me when he went to pay radio), the callers assurtions do not really add any real fact to this topic of Idol maipulation which has raged since day one.

As far as the timing regarding Sanjaya's drop to the bottom after being somewhere on top, one could also credit that with Sanjaya burn out. I believe the winners have a fan base that grows and stays loyal during this phase of the contest. Someone with the circus appeal that he provided was due for a drop off when those who saw him as a anti-idol vote or farce worth promoting got bored and those younger dialing fingers who actually see a Jordan or Melinda winning saw an end game. Those sending text messages and dialing all night can overwhelm the casual voter who saw Sanjaya as a way to give the show the middle finger. With all that said, I am not sayng the show would not or could not manipulate votes, I just think this one just sorted itself out on it's own.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I find it hard to believe that Idol producers would be sharing such guarded secrets with the guy making $10 an hour. I would imagine if this "employee" had more credibility this story would be picked up by more media outlets, or at very least, the tabloids.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
This is what the disclaimer says:

Production will have in place weekly monitoring procedures designed to prevent individuals from unfairly influencing the outcome of the voting by generating significant blocks of votes using technical enhancements. The producers reserve the right to remove any identified "power dialing" votes.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, this is what Ron said:

"Immediately following the dismissal of Sanjaya, everyone involved with the show all the way down to the custodial staff, was told not even to mention his name to the media."

There are unpaid interns in Hollywood assigned to pretty tough jobs; they're there for the experience. I imagine if the guy really was working there for $10/hour, he wasn't just working there for the money.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont think everyone who voted for sanjaya was trying to ruin Idol.
i think it was just a goof, a joke.

i didnt vote at all and i watch anyway but it was fun to see if sanjy was able to make through for another week.

the first show after he was gone was a bit of a bore.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I just can't take that literally. "After you clean the bathrooms, empty Simon's wastebasket, please. Oh, and mum's the word on Sanjaya, capeesh?" They made a point of showing Sanjaya all night. They talked about Sanjaya. I just don't buy that Line Warm-Up Guy was legit. The media doesn't care about Line Warm-Up Guy. They aren't going to go to him for the inside dope.

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an alternate theory on why Sanjaya's 15 minutes ended - each week the number of contestants decreases - and consequently the number of "legitimate" votes is spread among fewer and fewer contestants. Eventually those who vote for the purpose of ruining Idol are simply outnumbered as those who were voting for the contestants who got voted off transfered their votes to their 2nd favorite. Seems mathematically sound. Sort of like Ralph Nader's effect on the 2000 presidential election in reverse.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think ChrisCAB has hit the nail on the head.

I don't know about some guy calling into Howard's show and claiming to be an Idol employee, but I wouldn't be surprised if employees were actually told to stay away from the subject of Sanjaya during the charity show.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems odd that there could be such a swing in a single week, though.

One week he's not even in the bottom three, the next he's gone?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Good point, I felt this way as well. It seemed awfully convenient. Not that I am sorry to see Sandcastle gone though...

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Blake is by far the best tonight. I really enjoyed his performance. He is the only one who is willing to take risks and BOY do they work for him! He kicks butt!

Jordan was awful. She sang out of key and that song was too big for her.

Lakisha bored me.

Phil was okay.

Honestly, I am posting this before I have even seen Chris, because I just don't care for him.

Melinda is doing well for someone who doesn't seem like she could sing rock. I liked it.

Blake still did the best!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not a big Bon Jovi fan, but this was a really good night. Everyone did well, except for Jordin. I was prepared to hate on Chris, but he actually pulled it off. I didn't really like what Blake was putting down, but I guess it was good for what it was. He showed with the choruses that he could have rocked it better than I thought he could had he played it straight. Phil's renaissance continues, in spite of what Simon thought, and Melinda is finally back for me after not liking her song choices for about three weeks. I loved the "eff you" attitude she had when she turned her back after singing, "Have a nice day." :) I know some have said she doesn't *look* like an American Idol, but I think she's adorable. It was great when she was trying to do the rock symbol.

The 1-866 numbers are toll free, right? I might actually vote this time.

Oh, and I thought Jon Bon Jovi did about the best mentoring job I've seen all season. Some of the mentors didn't appear to be very helpful at all, but he really worked with them and tried to get them up to speed on his songs.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Wow..........I'm doing to do something I never expected. Jordin was the WORST tonight..................I don't even think it was close:eek:. In order from best to worst.I think Blake was the best. I'm actually PISSED I wasn't taping the show this week and watched it live. That was INCREDIBLE,Magnificent,etc................He hit a Grand slam, then ran around the bases twice more. The MOST original and kick-ass song I've ever heard on AI(The 2nd was that "Time of the season" he did a few weeks back). Give Blake props for taking the chances he's taking and bring down the house.2nd best was Melinda. She can do a lot and she did very well as always. Excellent!3rd best to me was Lakeisha. She used her voice and did the song proud. Still don't think it's enough to save her.4th-Phil; I wish one of the judges would have said this............Phil has been reborn ever since country night 3 nights ago. He's done awesome and might be in better shape IF he had been more consistent even 2-3 weeks earlier. I think he should NOT go, but will.5th-I think Chris wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. He will stay, but he should go.6th-:eek::eek:Jordin,Jordin,Jordin. I LOVE that you tried and I liked the look(I love the 80s:D), but this was your WORST performance ALL season. Not good.......and I never thought I would have as the worst singer on ANY night. The good news is you will NOT go home as it is for 2!! weeks........meaning she will stay. Whew!! But please don't be that bad again.
Goodbye.........Phil and Lakeisha. You have talent and I hope Phil does some country. I might buy a country-tinged album of his if he goes that way.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
God Blake sucked!!! What are you people watching????

What was so special about not being able to sing?

He ruined a good sign. It only proves he cant sing anything but rap/beatbox type crap.

I can't believe he rapped one of my favorite songs. Seems like cheating not singing a rock song.

God he sucked!!!!!!!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just dont get why everyone is praising that performance? Beatboxing is not new. He has done it before to cover the fact that he cant sing. Why was this any different?

This is American Idol, a singing competiton. Not the tryouts for the next "Police Academy" movie.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
WOW-evidently Simon nailed the passion, good AND bad, that Blake would inspire tonight. I'm an MTV kid-I LOVE Bon Jovi, grew up on SWW,NJ,etc. I was in HS when that song came out........and I know it by heart. I LOVE the song, but I LOVE the remake of it that Blake did. I was not really sure what he was doing and I was not thinking I would like it(that's an iconic song as Jon said), but it was GREAT. I'm also a total rocker of any rock genre-Bon Jovi, Metallica, Megadeth, Def Leppard, Dire Straits, Yes, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Dio,Scorpions, King Crimson, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. I love it and I'm glad he did it. Originality that has never been seen on AI, and that's a great thing.:D
I may be a little off but I love rock and I just had to say I'm glad he did what he did, he did it well, and kudos to him for doing it. I also know and love my rock.....................it's my fave kind of music....but I would BUY what Blake did. I might just buy 2 or 3 to make up for some people that aren't very enamored with it.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks