1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Supporting Actor

I knew she looked kinda familiar... Jordin is a little better looking though and I predict will win this year's idol honors. I too was sad to see hottie Haley go [​IMG]

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    "Honey, don't cry. I did say you were a little better looking than a Klingon, didn't I?"

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

So uh, Chris was singing in a nasal voice on purpose? And he doesn't do that every week? That exchange was too funny until the camera caught Simon roll his eyes after Chris mentioned VA Tech tragedy. I'm sure he was rolling his eyes at the nasal comments, but the timing wasn't good on Simon's part.

At any rate, I'd rather Sanjaya stay on another week than see Chris come back. He's a complete one trick pony who sings every song the same way, and does those few little dance moves the same way no matter what song he's singing.

I thought Jordin was terrific, as was Melinda...Phil was surprisingly good IMO and Blake was decent enough.

4. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Congrats Phil!!! This is the highest I've ever rated him and definitely the best he has sounded to me. This night was like giving a bologna sandwich to a vegetarian..............I liked the top and bottom and I'd throw away the middle. The best4 were the first 2 and last 2.....the middle 3 were forgettable. I'd rank them best to worst:Melinda-This was the 1st time that her personality caught up to her signing.Very close but best of the night.Jordin-I LOVE Jordin(never mind I picked her to win).A HAIR behind Melinda but excellent. She just gets better and better every week.Phil-I REALLY liked him tonight; this is the best he's sounded to me and he could do country as a singer very easily. Great night for him. Blake-Not the best from him, but good. He's very safe for next week. The dropoff to me between top4 and bottom 3 is pretty steep.
    Lakeisha-Merely ok......nothing to write home about. She should be in the bottom 3 this week, but I think she'll avoid it based on previous history.Chris-OK once again. Not the best from him.......he WILL be in the bottom 3.Sanjaya-This was not a complete disaster......merely a disaster. He actually has a good voice WHEN HE SINGS...but he's on the bottom. He should get booted this week.
    Phil BETTER not be in the bottom 3 this week.........he was good but I fear his history will betray him and put him in the bottom 3. All in all, I liked country night a lot more than I thought I would.

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

I'd rather have Chris come out and actually attempt to give a good performance and miss the mark than Sanjaya coming out and sucking on purpose because he knows he won't go home.

I liked everyone tonight except Sanjaya, but it was nice to see the Sanjaya that we've all come to know and revile.

6. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Supporting Actor

Sanjaya was a trainwreck - utterly dreadful... and I have kinda liked his showmanship of late - but tonight he was worse than Jordin's dress (she sang great in spite of that gown that looked like it was made from leftovers from a Cristo exhibition) [​IMG]

Lakesha may be in trouble this week...

7. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

I actually thought Simon rolled his eyes because he thought Chris made the comment to try to garner a sympathy vote.

I hope I'm wrong, but that was my impression.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    When Chris said, "nasal is a kind of singing," I almost blew coffee out MY nose. What a tool! He is the most deserving of the boot this week, even over Sanjaya.
    And I'm sorry, but "Something to Talk About" isn't even a country song. If Sanjaya wanted to make a statement on country night, he should've sung "Kiss This" by Aaron Tippen:

Why don't you kiss...
    Kiss this;
    And I don't mean
    on my rosy red lips
    [​IMG]

My Top 3:

Melinda
    Jordin
    Phil

The director must have told Simon his eye-roll seemed poorly timed since he then decided he had to address the VT tragedy separately.

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I was thinking the same thing Malcolm...and right now, Simon is probably hoping it won't become a big deal in the media tomorrow.

10. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Exactly. He deserves to go for those nasal comments alone. At least Sanjaya generally accepts the criticism he gets and deals with it with a smile most of the time. My wife was cracking up at Chris. I believe her exact words were "oh my God, Chris actually thinks he's good!".

No doubt Simon was told to make those VT comments after the eye roll.

11. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

They let Blake sneak in a song that was not quite country, but a bit more rock n roll. They ID'd his song as a Tim McGraw song but it's a Ryan Adams song from his brilliant Gold album.

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> He deserves to go for those nasal comments alone.

How about judging him on his performance?

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I seriously doubt that Chris made his comment about the aweful events at VA Tech just to garner votes, he's inhuman if that's the case. And obviously Simon cares about what happened, how could one not? His eyeroll was at Chris' nasal comment because it was just so ridiculous, they should leave Simon alone for this as he would have to truly be a monster to roll his eyes at Chris' observation of VA Tech and as much as he bellows and blows hot air at the contestants I don't think he's a monster.

It still amazes me how people defend Sanjaya, it's almost as if they can't see that he's playing them, he went from being this kid who went out and at least tried to sing well to this cocky and self-aware brat who's making a mockery of this competiton and I think that Simon see's this and has had enough which is why he came down so hard on him, like Simon said it was cute for awhile but Sanjaya just needs to pack his shit and hit the road. I don't care how nasal Chris sounded he still sounded better than Sanjaya, hell *I* sound better than Sanjaya when I sing in the shower lol!

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I thought the night belonged to Phil. He really impressed me with both his performance and his vocal. I never even heard the song, but I bought it when Phil sang it. I said last week that he really needed to do something to keep from being in the bottom 3 yet again, and he did it. I won't even believe it if he isn't instantly safe tomorrow.

I honestly didn't like much else. Jordin was okay, but she kind of shouted at points, as they said about Lakisha. Actually, I'll say I liked her, but it was a little boring to start. It was then a real bad run from Sanjaya on. I didn't particularly like Melinda this week, and was surprised by the high praise she got.

Sanjaya was terrible, and this should be his week to go. If he's still coasting for whatever reason, it will be Chris to go in his place. I think I'd consider Blake for the third slot, but he won't be leaving this week. I think it may instead be Lakisha joining Sanjaya and Chris. My ultimate hope is that Sanjaya goes and my guess is that Chris goes.

15. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Crap. Reposted below.

16. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I think that the only thing I hate more than Latin Night on American Idol is Country and Western Night on American Idol. It’s one of those nights where I have no idea what most of the contestants are singing, and I’m one of those Northeasterners that just doesn’t get country music. I can appreciate a good song in any genre from any Billboard chart, but throw me a random C&W song in the Top Ten and my eyes glaze over. For me, this night was very random, if you catch my drift.

Phil – Okay, I will admit that this was his best performance ever. And had I even cared a whit about the song, I’d say it was good. I must point out that there was a touch too much yodeling and that last note was both yelly and scratchy. Simon said, “I don’t know if this is enough to save you,” thereby getting Phil more support and ensuring he’ll stick around for another week. Although – who the hell is voting for Phil? I’m baffled.

Jordin – The hands down best performance of the night. My wife got goosebumps during the first verse, and she hadn’t even gotten started. I’m not going to go too overboard because she still hits a bum note here and there, but this was a good song choice, and Jordin was the only female who took advantage of the multitude of songs that could have really showed off their voices (and for all the hullabaloo about how much better the women were collectively, notice that the men outnumber the women 4 to 3). She hit a lot of soaring notes, and the last one impressed the hell out of my wife. And when Paula said, “you look beautiful,” she actually meant it instead of using it like a passive-aggressive baseball bat to the kneecaps like she did with Haley. She did look good tonight, although with the hair, that dress, and the jewelry, she looked like she was going to a prom in ancient Egypt. BTW, my wife and I laughed at one of the signs because, a) the girl never actually looked up to see Jordin (considering she’s one of her biggest fans), and b) it’s both illegible and incomprehensible. It looks like it was created with the world’s largest bottle of Wite-Out during a crystal meth binge. I love the way some of the words extend past the wiggly border. Can anyone actually figure out what was written? I remember the good old days when I was sure the producers handed out pre-made signs to audience members because they were so generically samey. Now it’s become somewhat of an art form.

Sanjaya – It was not thoroughly bad (there were a couple of nice moments and some nice sounding parts) and it wasn’t his worst attempt (there were at least two other performances where he was more off key than this), but it was definitely disappointing that he didn’t build on last weeks performance. First off, Simon was right – it was a ridiculous song choice, apparently chosen more for the title than content. And his ill-timed, incomprehensible asides shouted at the judges (this time to Randy) are becoming obnoxious. But while I understand that Simon feels like he has to get Sanjaya off the show, the truth is, it wasn’t as awful as Blake or Chris (while my wife just hated it, I didn’t think it was half-bad). As for the hair – it just wasn’t outrageous enough for me. If you’re going to look like a freak, go full bore.

LaKisha – OH… MY… GOD… no excessive cleavage! Is this… yes… I think… it’s a first for Kiki since Hollywood Week. And the hair was a big thumbs up as well. Too bad she decided that C&W meant your dress should be the color of chocolate pudding – oh well, you can’t have everything. Unfortunately, LaKisha didn’t really do much with the song (as a matter of fact, it was one of the roughest LaKisha outings of the contest), and while I understand why she considered it near and dear to her heart, it’s a really stupid song. I’m sorry – the lyrics are laughable. This is the kind of song that people who hate country music point to as the reason they hate country music. But the most jaw-dropping moment came when Paula offered a critique that was a) correct, b) not a rehash of what Randy said, and, most shockingly, c) exactly what I thought. And the critique was that Kiki shouted the end of the song (bonus points to Paula for even getting Simon to agree with her). As a matter of fact, she shouted it from the back of her throat, where it almost sounded like she gargled the song. C’mon LaKisha – you’re better than this mess. LaKisha’s trajectory this year reminds me of Paris’ travails from last year – just when you thought she’d take the whole thing, she kept stumbling with bad song choices and so-so performances.

Chris – The first thing I thought was that Chris was not going to be able to handle Rascal Flatts because of his reedy, nasally voice (which, according to Chris, is a form of singing, but consider the source – he who wears a white Member’s Only jacket and black jeans cannot be taken seriously). But what I did not anticipate was the Antonella Barba-esque way he “sang” the song – the entire first part of the song was completely off-key, and when he wasn’t flat he yodeled off-key. He didn’t hit an on-key note until he got to the chorus. My wife yelled, “this is torture!” Not only that, but it was downright embarrassing to listen to. Randy referred to a “couple of pitch things” – dude, clean your ears – that was the pitchiest thing since Wilbur Wood of the White Sox pitched both games of a doubleheader. It was the most godawful thing I’ve heard at this stage of the competition, and I don’t see how anyone is going to listen to that and claim Sanjaya is the one who deserves to be voted off. And he sounds like Adam Sandler from The Waterboy when he talks, full of mumbles, stutters, and fits & starts. I sort of get the feeling that the producers agreed that Ryan would take care of the Virginia Tech tribute at the top of the show and the singers would avoid referring to it so as to not seem like they were pandering for votes (or making the show a downer). Chris’ awkward acknowledgement was, I’m sure, heartfelt (being from Virginia and all), but his transgression merited an eye-roll from Simon (as well as an attempted cut off from Ryan), and lest it appear that Simon was eye-rolling at a sympathetic message, he had to offer an apologia later in the show that also sounded like Adam Sandler from The Waterboy.

Melinda – I would have bet money that Melinda would have sung Crazy, mostly because it’s as old as shit. Turns out Trouble Is A Woman (described by Melinda as “a new song”) isn’t all that new – the song was released in 1999. So she still hasn’t crossed into the 21st Century yet. I wonder if Melinda knows what mp3’s are, or if she has a cell phone, or if she still thinks Bill Clinton is President. I imagine her idea of Internet access sounds like, “doot doot doot doot… beerang, blang, blang, kzzzzzh… Welcome. You’ve Got Mail”. And while her shirt looked like it was made from an Army duffel bag, at least it wasn’t the same frumpy, old-fashioned crap that her stylists kept dressing her in. Her hair looked sleek and modern, and I think this is the first time Melinda has actually looked attractive without the camera pulling back… to Cleveland. However… I don’t care what the judges say – I was bored by the song. It sort of sounded like Rockin’ Robin with fiddle solos or something – it was kind of piffle, and it felt tossed off and underwhelming. It was also too rat-tat-tat lyrically for her vocal style. I once noted that it’s only a bad song choice of you can’t sing it well, but Melinda has proven that even if you sing it well, and old, semi-obscure song still sucks.

Blake – He tends to sing every song like he’s the androgynous lead singer of an English New Wave band, but this time he just took it too far. He sang the word “dancing” with a fey British accent, and it sounded like, “dah-hahn-cing” – my wife couldn’t figure out what the hell he was singing. When the band kicked in, he got so drowned out by the music that the only way you knew his mic actually worked were the dissonant noises Blake made when he went off key. Which, tonight, was frequently. He wasn’t inhabited by the spirit of Antonella Barba like Chris was, but he just couldn’t find the right note a lot. At least the pitchiness woke me up whenever I dozed off – I don’t know if I should blame Tim McGraw or Blake for boring the crap out of me, but I suspect if I confronted either about it, they would just start singing the song, make me fall asleep, and then make their getaway – Blake in a Ford Fusion and Tim on a police horse.

17. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hanson,

You are a tough post to follow.

I don't have much to say here this week. I absolutely loathe Country
    music, and I found all the performances this week to be utterly
    dissatisfying based on the genre alone.

However, it was absolutely apparent that Melinda Doolittle
    was the standout once again, with an honorable mention going to
    Phil Stacey.

I actually felt bad for LaKisha Jones. She is my second favorite
    this season (behind Melinda), and I had hoped on a much better evening
    for her.

As for Sanjaya....

Bravo to Simon! It's about time that somebody gave this kid a
    bit of realism. Despite the lashing, I think Sanjaya is
    going to continue to prosper yet another 3 weeks. I will predict
    this.....I think Sanjaya will be in the bottom 3 this week.

Who is going home? That's easy! Goodbye Chris Richardson

18. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

Just a bad season for AI after the outstanding talent of last year.

19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I don't know how valid it is, but the DialIdol predictions are really suprising. I hope it goes as they predict. [​IMG]

The have Sanji-boy as the lowest vote getter and Phil as the only safe one!

20. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I agree, but a few notes, I missed Phil and Jordin, so I can't comment on them,

Lakisha: I think she has lost her edge in this one, she might actually find her self not in the top 3 tonight.

Sanjaya: He'll survive this week again but he wasn't terrible but he still has no business being here. My wife continues to say that the judges could have saved us from this insufferable performances from him.

Chris: I thought was pretty bad. This might be his last night

Melinda: I thought she shined again tonight. I agree with Simon the surprise look is getting old, man she knows she can sing, have fun with it now, I think that would look more genuine than wow I can sing look.

Blake: After reading an earlier post indicating his song was really rock more than country, I thought Blake had put his twist on the song to make it his and my feelings was not a very good one.