1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 15, 2007.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

WOW was that Jeremy performance TERRIBLE or what. SHUDDER

2. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    Yeah - last night was a major league suck-fest for the most part. The only song I can recall that I enjoyed was Blake's.

BTW - AI Judges - that song by 311 is 12 years old.

Sundance is now Suckdance

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    When he said, "It may surprise you to know that I hula dance," I can honestly say that surprised was something I was not. As terrible as he was last night, he could stick around another week by virtue of the fact that he was early in the show and nothing good followed him. Nothing really stood out, but Phil was horrible, too.

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

The fact that the judges didn't recognize the song "All Mixed Up" by 311 from 1995,shows how out of touch they are in pop music. Seems like there were a few other songs they weren't familiar with either. All in all, I have to say Blake was the best last night,and yes,I can do without all of the hip hop gestures,just get up there and sing. I think Phil and Brandon are going home Thursday.

5. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

I just lost my whole post...so long story short.....

Chris Sligh, Blake and Lakisha are awesome. The only ones really worth having on the show. Everyone else ...well, I am not quite sure why they are even there.

The whole Antonella thing is crap, because if they booted Frenchie becuase of questionable pictures, then they sure as hell should boot antonella who cannot carry a tune.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> The fact that the judges didn't recognize the song "All Mixed Up" by 311 from 1995,shows how out of touch they are in pop music. Seems like there were a few other songs they weren't familiar with either.

I'm surprised that the judges aren't briefed on what the songs & original artists are before the taping, so they can at least appear to be current on the music scene.

That answers my question about whether the judges see any of the rehearsals during the week.

I didn't recognize the 311 song, either, but I'm not a member of the music industry. I've heard of the group, but I don't know if I've ever heard their songs.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What a horrible night of AI! Even my man Sligh couldn't save that already sinking ship.

I nearly spit my milk out when Randy compared Phil to Steve Perry! Noooooooo!

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I can't believe how poorly the men choose their songs.

Brandon and Phil will probably go home. Sundance deserves to, but he seems popular for some reason.

There's no way Sanjaya is going home after straightening his hair. [​IMG]

9. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Song choice spoiler for girls tonight:

Jordin - Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
    Sabrina - Don't Let Go - En Vouge
    Antonella - Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae
    Haley - If My Heart Had Wings - Faith Hill
    Stephanie - Sweet Thing - MJ Blige
    LaKisha - I Have Nothing - Pre-crack Whitney
    Gina - Call Me When You're Sober - Evanescence
    Melinda - I'm A Woman - Koko Taylor

The order is:

Jordin sabrina ant haley steph lakisha gina melinda

(same source as last week which was spot on.)

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Now Sanjaya looks like Anakin Skywalker on a humid day. [​IMG]

11. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

(s)Anjaya Skywalker ?
    Does that make his sister Leia ?
    I wont guess to what his dad is...

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Awful, awful night for the guys. Sanjay should definitely be gone
    this week.

And, judging by Antonella's rumored song choice (great song,
    not sure if she can pull it off) I am guessing this will be her
    final bow....

....not that she hasn't been rumored to be bowing already [​IMG]

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions right now on what songs people can choose to sing, or how much guidance they're getting in choosing?

They seem to be allowed to sing anything, & since the most common comment from the judges is about song choice (usually in a negative way), you'd think they'd be getting more advice about that. Or is part of the competition right now supposed to be to test their skills at choosing songs?

Wouldn't better advice lead to better song choice, meaning better performances, a more exciting competition, and more interest in the show, plus better outcomes from those who don't win?

I can't sing at all, but I would think it would be hard to choose the right song. It would be tempting to choose a song I liked rather than one that was right for me in the competition.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I suspect part of the competition is finding people who know what they should be singing, also, I suspect the producer have a limit on how much they can spend per contestant for the rights to perform the song on the show (some songs may be too expensive to sing, so the contestant has to go to an alternate choice or two). Once the final 12 are determined, those contestants also get a spending budget on clothing/accessories (or raid the wardrobe racks for something to wear).

Chris S picks songs like he's trying to woo a girlfriend for her hand in marriage, while he should be picking songs that would motivate people to buy his albums in the future.

15. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I think they already get a clothing per diem, since one of the first girls voted off mentioned that her clothing allowance was the thing she was going to miss the most. I think they probably get more money and a stylist at the top 12 level. Well, except for Melinda, who already has a stylist.

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Blake was the only fair one last night, every one else pretty much sucked or just didn't move me. I thought from the beginning that the next Idol would be a woman and last night proved it I think. I'm not every vote obviously but last night was just plain bad. Sanjaya, if the America keeps Sanjaya one more night, I think I'll call it quits until the grand finale. Sanjaya was just awful and Randy was too nice I think, Paula... well..., she's Paula and I don't know if anyone notice but I think Simon has tone his comments down a bit. I was looking to here him say That was awful or something like that, but he's been holding back IMHO. Hope the girls won't disappoint.

17. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Thank GOD for TiVo. I usually fast forward the little pre-packed video pieces, go right to the performances and then stick around to listen to the judges. My rule is that if it's bad for the first 20 seconds or so, I just FF the rest, including the judges.

Last night, I watched Blake's full performace and liked it. (The judges not knowing 311?! WTF?!) I couldn't even listen to any of the other junk from last night, and that bald guy is the WORST. He starts every song in a low tone that's stunningly bad. He sounds like a bad male Cher impersonator.

After that, I was done with the entire show in about five minutes.
    Again, thank God for TiVo. The guys were horrible again last night.

18. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

There are songs they cannot perform. The Lennon/McCartney mass of music is one that AI has been trying to get the rights to use. One of the AI producers was quoted that they would "love" to have performance rights to "the greatest music cataloug of the 20th century". Could it be they announce that on Thursday?

19. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

I have never seen them perform a Madonna song, at least one that was written by her. I believe she has not given the requisite permission. There are definitely songs that are off limits for the contestants.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Jordin started out a little thin-sounding, but pulled it together in the end. I think her lack of lower registers will limit her song choices.

Sabrina let loose some scary bad sounding notes towards the end, and she's too much of a poser in how she sings (holding the notes in the way to create an AI moment).

Antonella is singing on a lower level of performance from most of the remaining girls.

Haley butchered the melody in her song (sort of like how Phil did with his last night). She is very boring to listen to. She has a habit is singing underneath the instrumentals, which makes it sound like her vocals are being drowned out by the instrumentals.

Stephanie over-performed her song, which wasn't a good song choice, either. It was a middling performance from her.

Lakisha blew it out tonight, not only chills, but even my nipples were at attention (which is very rare, to say the least). Whitney who?

Gina needs to go on Rockstar, that's her genre. At least she looked comfortable and in her element. It's the most freely she's sang so far.

Melinda delivered a sassy and great performance, with good on-stage presence and delivery, but she's so odd to look at, it's a little distracting at times.