What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had AI in P-I-P (while watching Lost) and didn't realize it when Clay showed up either (but that was just right after all those really bad performance clips showed up, and I thought Clay was one of those really really bad wannabees, like the Michael Jackson guy, etc).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Did anyone else who was watching it in HD have any issues right around 9PM? When they came back from a commercial break at 9, the screen stayed blank for 20 seconds or so and then when it came back on it was replaying the beginning of the show and said "from an earlier telecast" or something similar at the bottom of the screen.

I flipped over to the analog station and it was OK there, showing Carrie Underwood's performance. After 4-5 minutes the HD channel was back to live. Strange.

danak

Second Unit
Taylor wins! Good for him. Let's hope the record label doesn't screw him over. And the show again barely finishes on time. In fact, my local station cut out just as he finished singing; I was also recording the last few minutes on another Fox station and got a little more with him hugging the other contestants.

The winner announcement seemed very anticlimatic to me. Maybe it was because pretty much everyone knew he would win. Part of it may have been because he didn't cry a river like the female winners seem to do. It also may have been because they were running out of time and didn't have time to say much.

Just a few thoughts for now on the finale; I'll probably have more later:

Overall, probably the best finale of all 5 seasons, with some really strong performances, especially by the Idols. However, as usual there was utter dreck scattered throughout. The Golden Idol spoofs for one were just awful silliness and bah on them for including Elliott's mother as one winner.

Katharine was really good with Meatloaf, especially performing the theatricalness of the song. SO WHY DIDN'T SHE SING LIKE THAT LAST NIGHT?? Well, ok, she said in an interview on Ryan's radio program that she had been having voice problems, but she appears to have recovered and it's nice to see she can sing and perform like that. It's too bad she wasn't that good the last few weeks (or last night when it counted).

Taylor and Toni Braxton - Ummm, no. Whoever thought of pairing a vamping Braxton against Taylor and singing about poverty in the ghetto ought to be shot and then shot again. That was horrendous

Elliott and Mary J. Blige - Was that a duet? That was more like him singing, then her singing, then him backing her up. She totally overshadowed him.

Paris/Al Jarreau and Chris/Live were very good

Prince - That was a complete surprise. I guess that was the surprise that Katharine hinted at. Wouldn't it have made more sense to publicize it?

And I guess Dionne Warwick was the major female recording artist that was also hinted at.

Sean*O
I disagree. He sounds good on his "Under the Radar" cd that he self-produced. graycharles.com has a few mp3s of his songs from a couple of cds he produced including the one just mentioned and some live performances. I think he'll sound just fine on an album.

Dana

danak

Second Unit
Oh yeah, Clay. Totally unrecognizable with that hair. I felt sorry for him getting saddled with that Clay wannabe, but it was kind of cute watching the Clay wannabe spaz out when he saw Clay.

Dana

danak

Second Unit
The harmonica bit with Taylor, Chris, and Bucky in the group sing with the guys was great.

Puck and Pickler went too long and too many times

Dana

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Early on, I didn't think there was any way Taylor would win since he didn't seem to fit the demographics you often hear for the show. Kudos.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chicken Little takes forever for his voice to kick in. He always seemed a beat off when it was time for him to sing his part in the songs.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm just watching now. OMG, this show is entertaining on soooo many different levels.

Poor Elliot for having Mary J mop up the stage with him. Poor Toni for having Taylor mop up the stage with her. :laugh:

And, yah, Clay Aiken....nice do...so NOT gay. :rolleyes

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
WTF was Toni Braxton messed up on? I couldn't understand a word that came out of her mouth and it appeared like she forgot half the words anyway.

I enjoyed immensely the Meatloaf/Katharine duet. Tied for highlight of the evening with the tribute to Burt Bacharach.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The Clay Aiken duet had to be the MOST gay moment in the history of television, cinema or print (including Brokeback Mountain).

Seeing Prince walk out there completely blew me away.

WTF was wrong with Meat Loaf? WTF happened to his voice? He was terrrrrrrrrrrrrible!!!

I thought tonight was very entertaining to the point that the final results moment was a bit of a letdown. I was really enjoying seeing all the stars sing with the Idols, and then that was over and we actually had to do what we all came for -- find out who won. Perhaps it was a letdown because we pretty much already knew who won.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Random thoughts after watching again:

I always enjoy Prince.

was too busy looking at Toni Braxton to listen to her. She's never had the strongest voice anyway. Taylor looked a bit uncomfortable to me when he had to perform with anyone else, but especially her.

Listening to Paris with Al Jarreau highlighted the "lightness" of her voice. Still, I always like seeing Al Jarreau and hearing him perform. Scatting doesn't seem to be her thing.

Hearing Mandisa do Aretha was almost surreal. I Say A Little Prayer For You. They need a TV that allows you to stretch that 30 seconds into 30 minutes. I really hope she gets to put out a CD. Actually, I hope she gets to put out a CD of good songs. Obviously she wouldn't be able to just do covers, and that's where it gets tough.

Bucky sounded the best I've heard him. He sang, and I heard words. Sure, it was Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head, but he didn't sound bad to me.

Elliott shot at least par on A House is Not a Home. Nobody's going to do it like Luther Vandross, but it wasn't bad. He's not made for loud places, but with the proper sound mixing, he has a really good voice.

I kinda hoped Kat and Taylor would perform more on That's what Friends are for. Or, failing that, Elliott (as Stevie Wonder), Paris (as Gladys Knight), but I'm not sure who for Elton John.

I thought the Kellie stuff was cute, but a little drawn out.

There were moments where I though Taylor was getting the life sucked out of him right there on national TV. Good luck, bud.

I liked I Feel Like A Woman. I thought they performed it well.

On another note, it was nice seeing Melissa McGhee back again. She was hot (I was never particularly partial to her before) and she and Ace made a cute and believable pairing. If she hasn't lost weight, I have absolutely no explanation for how much cuter she looked to me tonight.

Kat impressed me several times. I Feel Like a Woman. Natural Woman. Maybe she most impressed me when she wasn't by herself and couldn't go off on her trademark runs. Speaking of which, Kellie impressed me as well for a bit. I'm not sure if she was on key during her Bacharach solo, but I liked the sound of her voice during the song.

Clay Aiken commentary interlude. I've never listened to him before. I didn't watch the year he lost to Ruben (though I saw the final show). I can see why he had a lot of fans. I'd seen pictures of him, but not seen him perform. All jokes aside, I liked him.

Lisa Tucker sounded good to me during her Bacharach number, with a nice full voice.

(I've Had) The Time Of My Life was enjoyable to me. Both sounded good.

Hope to see everyone back next year.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Oh my GOD, I can't get over how CLASSIC this season finale was. It was pure cheesy entertainment and I loved every minute of it.

I honestly thought Meat Loaf was doing a gag (or gagging) when he started to sing. It was so bad that I didn't think it could be real. I guess it was. Wow.

It was great to hear Elliott sing "One" from U2 along with Mary J. Blige. I've heard her duet with Bono a few times, once on the grammys, etc., and this one was good. She dominated the song (as she does with Bono), but Elliott can definitely do the runs to harmonize at the end of the song. Great version!

How on EARTH can you top the Jack McFarland-esque reaction from that guy of seeing Clay Aiken on stage? Well, one moment actually topped it for me and had me laughing so hard I had to hit pause on the DVR. After they announced that Taylor was the winner, there was a quick shot of David Hassellhoff in the audience and he was CRYING!!! Hilarious!!

I love the show Lost, but I just finished watching both 2hr season finales, and for pure entertainment value alone, the American Idol wiped the floor with Lost.

BEST IDOL EVER! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
The only possible way to make that finale better was to have paired Taylor with Prince instead of Toni Braxton... The finale was entertaining on all kinds of levels...I had the Sabres game in PIP sothere was a lot going on at my house.

I might actually go see the Idols live tour because I was really impressed with this group of kids this year...

SOUL PATROL SOUL PATROL SOUL PATROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!

danak

Second Unit
To everyone here, it's been a pleasure discussing the show with you. It's been a lot of fun. I'm a little sad that this season is over because I liked it so much, but I am glad it's over because I'm not sure how much longer I could have gone, as I'm totally spent now.

I actually like "Do I Make You Proud". Maybe Kat should have sung that as well.

For me, this season is now my favorite, ahead now of Season 2, where it was mostly about Clay Aiken for me. As an upside and downside, I got way too emotionally involved this season. I liked so many contestants and what ended up being my two favorites became the Final 2. I got very uptight and worried at times when a favorite would falter and I was very, very happy to see Taylor take the title, especially since he was what the Powers That Be least expected. I'm glad the next season is a long way off because I need the rest. I'm not sure I want to get this involved ever again.

More thoughts to come...

Dana

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I noticed this, too. Maybe they had technical difficulties...like getting the crack pipe away from Toni Braxton so she would go out on stage and sing with Taylor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks