What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
They built up that last girl as if she was going to be as memorable as the other William Hung-type auditions but I don't think she was worth the hype. She's just another one of those foul-mouthed, overweight-but-in-denial girls. There's a handful of them every year. I don't think she warranted promoing her before every commercial break for the entire 2 hours.

Is it just me or is Paula even hotter this year? Man, I find myself pausing the TiVo to check her out. She definitely didn't look this good last year.:b

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think they spend the fall season doing the auditions in different parts of the country, and then edit down the footage to show in January/February.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I almost went to audition this year in Denver but passed when I saw how much BS you had to wade through, and I know I'm not a great singer. :b

You first show up a day early (all those stadium shots with thousands and thousands of people) and audition for the producers. They will give you a yay or a nay to get a number and audition for the real judges on one of the following two days and I don't think that is even a guarantee that you will make it in to see them.

So basically, you end up camping there for 3 days...but you can't line up before 5am on any day. And of course the producers send the best and the worst through and probably nix most of the 'average' people.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I definitely think Rhonetta will take her place next to Scary Mary, Keith & Scat Girl. She dresses like a low-rent hooker and thinks she's drop dead sexy? Now that's delusional. I can't believe the judges let her go on for so long, as she sung a third song that was in the Fame montage.

And remember, Pick Pickler! :D

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I was thinking the same thing! Last year she was OK, but this year, I don't know what it is, damn!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought the girl, I think her name was Katherine, with the voice coach for a mom, was good at vocal gymnastics which impressed the judges, but I didn't like the tone of her voice, and it seemed to me that she pressed a little bit too hard because her voice just doesn't have that naturalness to it that I prefer.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I didn't care for her much, either. Quite frankly, I thought her voice was rather ordinary and I was puzzled trying to figure out what the judges heard that I didn't. Perhaps it was something that the recording equipment didn't pick up or just a difference of opinion. I just don't picture her getting far in this competition.

Re: Next Week's Promo - I can't believe the Psychic Cow is back! After the critical drubbing she got last time, I just can't imagine what would possess the woman to re-audition. Perhaps seeing herself on TV and the AI DVD wasn't enough negative exposure?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
What people will do to get on TV amazes me. This should be good.

Here's a question for ya: How many songs does a contestant normally sing before Paula, Randy, & Simon? I've never figured that out. I see them walk in, sing and then get booted by the judges, but later on I see them singing another song as a part of a montage. Does everybody sing three songs or something like that and most of that gets edited out?

Peace,

DM

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I think some of the montage shots are taken from the tapes of people auditioning for the audition with the producers and such.

I'm weird I've always liked Simon, he just tends to say what everyone else is thinking but won't say.
The little clip on Tuesday night of him repeating "I don't mean to be rude." or variations of it was funny.

Paula does look a lot more cute this season. Plus this is my first time watching it on anything by my computer and with HD on my big screen so she really looks good. She's one of those HD friendly people apparently.

Is it me or does Randy seem more of the antagonist this season?

danak

Second Unit
Dave,
From what I understand, the contestants have to sing in front of the producers (or their minions) first (they may have to sing 2 or more times this way, I'm not sure). The producers then send on only a few people to Randy, Paula and Simon (the good ones and the weird ones). I have no doubt that footage of many of the people we see singing, particularly the montages where we don't see them actually interacting with the judges, is taken from the initial auditions with the producers. I believe the constestants are usually allowed one song in front of the judges, but sometimes they are asked to sing a second song (and some of them get in 2 or more additional songs on their own).

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I keep thinking that Paris Bennett's audition was the single best audition that we've ever seen on Idol. I know, I'm gushing. I don't usually feel that way about the teenage singers, but man, she's good. I just hope she doesn't fall apart on the way to the final 12.

Dana in MD

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

She's prepping herself "just in case" she decides to sleep with one of the contestants this season...

Ooops...did I just say that?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I feel it's a toss up between Paris and Lisa Tucker, but definitely one of the best auditions in Idol history. No one who came before could top these two.

NEWSFLASH: Rhonetta the delusional whackjob has her own 'fan club' website, complete with arrest record & fun pictures! :D

danak

Second Unit
I have to say that the guy towards the end who sang Sam Cook was a really interesting character. I really liked his singing, but his weird movements kind of put me off some. It did seem to be very similar to Joe Cocker's style. I find it hard to believe he's 29 though.

Dana in MD

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Looked like Michael McDonald but sang like Joe Cocker. I liked him. I hope he sticks around for a few rounds but there's no way he's making it deep.

Agreed. The "going to Hollywood" ones were not that good and the bad were not super-bad.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And only 11 got through from Vegas. Is that some kind of low? It seems like they routinely send 25+ on from each location.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
And they only showed like 3 who went on to Hollywood. The ratio of crap to good was too overbalanced to be a good episode. Though the return of the rejects was amusing.

Looks like I made a mistake on the sched. Next tuesday will be the last audition ep and then Wed, Feb 8., will be the first Hollywood ep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks