What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

For me, those two and Jennifer Hudson's "Circle of Life" are probably the only performances I'll remember from this season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I heard on the news that for the next season, no contestants under 18 years old will be accepted. So it should solve this issue for most.

DanaA

Screenwriter

You don't know how happy you just made me. :D

I just told my daughter that we're going to rent the movie sometime this summer just to see if we can make it through 'til the end.

Evan M

Second Unit

Well, the rendition itself wasn't so bad... although not the best, but it was NOT on key... and she was so nervous, you could hear her voice shaking when she tried to hold a note.. presumably b/c she knew she was off-key, so she tried to cover it up with a lot of vibrato and vocal runs.

It was just sloppy and off pitch. *shrug*

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

If true, I think that is a great thing. Simon's disposition toward the younger contestants all season has led me to believe this change might happen.

Peace,

DM

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
>>Nobody wants their kids to grow up poor, but growing up with money does not ensure a high quality of life or a happy family.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Notice that his solo line came in the Big Band segment? Hence, I always thought it a shame he got kicked just before the big band night (or rather, they didn't schedule big band earlier in the rotation) -- at least he'd have had a good night, to "justify" his inclusion in the Final 12, rather than get slammed non-stop.

Oh well, it's over, no loss. Back to other regularly scheduled programming...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

THAT would have been completely unfair! I would think that the theme nights (and the order they do them) are determined before the top 12 even start. Well, OK, I would HOPE they do, to prevent any "favoritism".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While there might be some flexibility in the theme rotation, because of guest judges' schedules, most of the theme nights are scheduled way in advance.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would cut down on the theme nights. I can think of a couple genres that are irrelevant to the type of music these singers will be performing in real life. I agree it shows range, but I think having one or two "anything goes" type nights would better showcase their strong points, instead of making range the main criteria.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Well, here's an idea. Once you get to the top twelve, the votes are done every week, but nobody actually gets voted off until the sixth week. At that point, you total up the votes for the previous six weeks, and boot out six people. From then on, it's a person a week voted directly off.

First, this smooths things out a bit; a bad week doesn't doom a good performer. Second, this evens the playing field; a perfectly good pop singer who can't do, say, disco doesn't get booted out on disco night. Third, it gives people a chance to improve, or to work on whatever their problems appear to be.

RandyWebb

Agent
It sounds lake a great idea to make the contest more fair... BUT...No results each week = No results SHOW each week = less commercial time to sell...not an idea that I think the producers will go for.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
No, you could still have a results show. You could say who's currently in the bottom 6 (or top 3 may be better).

I think it's a great idea.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
To harken back to Roman times, people want to see blood on a weekly basis, so I would never expect AI to go changing the format anytime soon.

As we've seen, it ain't all about performances of a given theme night. Contestants stay in even after horrendous performances. It's about garnering a fan following to sustain records sales down the line for the eventual winner(s).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I believe (no pun intended) that first week sales were at about 150,000 copies; does anyone remember what Kelly, Clay or Ruben had for first week sales?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
AI has changed the age limits for next season. Citing the number of good singers turned away, yet still trying to stay within the "pop star" age, Season 4 will allow contestants aged 16-26.
Story on CNN

Chris

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Here is a breakdown of the six-figure single sales recorded in the first week by past Idol finalists:

1. Clay Aiken, 'This Is The Night' / 'Bridge Over Troubled Water,' 393,000
2. Ruben Studdard, 'Flying Without Wings' / 'Superstar,' 286,000
3. Kelly Clarkson (Idol 1 winner), 'A Moment Like This' / 'Before Your Love,' 236,000
4. Fantasia, 'I Believe,' 142,141
5. American Idol 2 Finalists, 'God Bless The U.S.A.,' 101,000
6. Clay Aiken (second single), 'Solitaire' / 'The Way,' 100,500

So Fantasia is the weakest Idol debut so far, and Clay tops the chart by a huge margin without even winning the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks