What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Well for the first time in the history of this show I turned it off. My wife and I have faithfully watched every show of every season. And, even with starting the show a half hour later thanks to tivo, even the absense of commercials couldn't keep us there.

There are a couple of reasons, the biggest being that there is not a single thing about Fantasia that either myself or my wife like. She is beyond irritating from her voice to her personality.

The other reason is that the judges have lost all of the little credibility they had, for me at least. It used to be that at least Simon would tell it straight, more or less. Of all the contestants this year the only two that they have all pretty much agreed on as being above the others have been Fantasia and LaToya. But somehow this, in their eyes, is the best group yet??? And Simon thinks Fantasia is the best they've ever had??? The judges have screwed up from the beginning, picking a mediocre top 32, and everything they say now is to cover for their mistakes. Fantasia and Diana may be decent, but to even compare them to any of the former winners, or even most in the top 10 from each season is rediculous. Let alone try to tell us that one of them is the best we've seen yet.

I really hope that some changes come about for next season, the biggest being that the judges get with it. It was easily apparent that the judges latched onto a select few in the top 32 and stuck with them all the way through, caring little about the rest. I hope next year they can start to judge on the nightly performances rather than justifying sub-par performances in their critiques of the performers they've liked from the start.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Fantasia had one bad song and two good songs.
Diana had two good songs and one bad song.

Diana deserves to be in the top 3. But Fantasia is simply in a league above. I hope she wins. And I feel sorry for those of you who don't seem to "get" her talent. But what a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything. :)

:laugh: Yes, I too am enjoying the sick humour of WB's Superstar USA. :D

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
What made the show even more boring was that half the songs had already been performed earlier in the season. I also feel that by the time these people get down to the finals they should have to perform a song that they wrote themselves.

Also I would suggest that, the show would be better if the judges did NOT critique in the final showdown. At this point it should be assumed that both singers have earned their way to the final two. Just have them sing 3 songs and let America decide.

Although I am mildy pulling for Fantasia, I was disgusted that Simon had to make negative comments after all 3 of Diana's performances, even though he liked 2 of them. :thumbsdown:

With exception of Amy Adams, I feel that Diana & Fantasia where overall the best of the final 12, so while neither are that great, I feel when all is said and done, that the voters eventually do get it mostly right.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Now that would be good comedy. :emoji_thumbsup: The last thing I want to hear is some teenager singing about the meaning of life and how deep they are.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On the E! pre-AI show, the hostest said there were 60 million votes received and only a 1% margin between the winner and "loser".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be a big surprise (regardless of the super-close vote tally) to TPTB if Diana wins, just because I have serious doubts as to the amount of interest the producers of the show and the record company would exhibit with Diana as AI 2004.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I heard something interesting on the radio tonight. A caller said "I don't doubt that Fantasia will win, but is she an 'American Idol'? I don't think an un-wed 19 year old high school drop out is an Idol."

Borderline rude, but true.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
oh, c'mon. How many "idols" or regular pop stars are actually idols? The music industry doesn't give a shit about whether these kids are well rounded citizens--they want to pimp the hell out of them for quick cash and 60 percent of the profits before the distributors get their chunk, and then move onto the next. Hell, not BEING an Idol would help--controversy sells records. If Fantasia smoked weed, got busted, shot a cop, stabbed a record exec, videotaped herself peeing on someone and kept zoo animals in her backyard, she'd be 500 times platinum by now.

The Record Industry is the closest thing to the old-school Mafia, La Cosa Nostra, that we have today.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Fantasia definitely breaks the mold for this show, which usually goes for Disneyesque, family friendly images.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I've heard that Missy Eliot has shown interest in producing Fantasia's
cd and has said that she wouldn't produce a run of the mill contest winner cd, but a "Real" cd.

That would be worth listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks