What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But the idea is to find singers that can mobilize a fanbase so that when they do win the competition, it's a fanbase based on popularity and not on negativity.

Anyhow, no American Idol will be on this Tuesday night since there were be a Presidential press conference. It's being pushed to Wednesday night (with the results show on Thursday.

Story here

Evan M

Second Unit
Stupid presidential press conference... now the wife and I have to figure out how to get AI and Smallville both recorded while we are at church..

*grumbles*

Chris

Senior HTF Member
First time I've watched in forever. Man, these guys are terrible.

I didn't catch the names, so I'll go with performances.

George - the first guy.. what the hell was that?

the girl who sang "Titanic" while I thought Quentin was off often, he hit it here "man, people hate this song" and she did nothing to change that. She was terrible throughout. So bad I changed the channel until I figured it would be over.

The guy who did "Casablanca" - damn, terrible.

The girl from Hawaii... terrible.

Damn, I feel like Jim Rome "Dude, Terrible."

The only one I thought was "good" would be he girl who did 'Summertime', which I thought she did a very good job with. Most of the others could have went home. Damn, though, the thing with titanic.. Terrible. The thing with Casablanca was probably right up there with that, but by then I was already reeling.

danak

Second Unit
George is usually terrific, but this was not his best tonight. Did anyone else think the sound was kind of muffled through the hour? The performances seemed to be dulled by sound problems. Even the judges sounded like they were in a well or had head colds.

Dana

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I missed Fantasia's performance. Was she really that good? I got back to the TV and everyone was raving and she was crying.

Excluding Fantasia (since I didn't see her), the only two worth watching appear to be Jennifer Hudson and LaToya London.

Diana DiGarmo has no range. When she needs to go high, she just goes louder. I'd actually vote her off this week as my least favorite.

And I almost sprayed water all over the living room floor when Simon told John Stevens straight-up, "You have no charisma!" Ain't that the truth! :D :laugh:

danak

Second Unit
Malcolm,

I thought Fantasia was terrific and deserved the raves. However, I don't quite understand what caused her to start crying, whether it was the song itself or the reaction of the audience (or both). I would slightly disagree with Randy's contention that it was the best performance ever on American Idol, as I thought Tamyra Grey's performance of "This House Is Not a Home" was just as powerful (just as emotionally powerful as what Fantasia did) and Clay's rendition of "Solitaire" was pretty damn good too, as was his take on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me".

I already indicated what I thought of George, but as for the rest of the performances,
Jon Peter was both good and so-so, so I guess it would average out to...average. His moves were good but his voice was off too much of the time and he seemed to miss the lyrics or the musical rhythm at times.
Jennifer was great.
Jasmine was good overall but her voice was on the weak side at times.
John Stevens was terrible. It was the perfect song for his limited range, but he seemed to sing it out of tune and he was boring. The judges, other than Cowell, must have been smoking something pretty powerful to praise him like they did.
Diana was terrible. She picked a song that required high notes and she couldn't reach them. She sounded out of tune the entire song and she brought nothing new to it, as Tarantino said. I hate to say it, but she seems very plastic when she performs (didn't she perform as a child?) and especially when she smiles.
La Toya was great.

Dana

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Disney's "Aladdin"

What was up with everyone picking Disney/animated films? This ain't Sesame Street! :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some F-ing reason, my ReplayTV didn't record tonight's show, even though it should have since I have it record American Idol for Tuesday and Wednesday. Grr...

I did happen to catch Fantasia's performance, and the first part of Red's performance before switching back to Smallville in HD.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
American Idol has lost it. It has come down to three things:
Randy has the hots for Fantasia
Paula is just a non-entity
Simon is determined to have either LaToya, Fantasia, or Jennifer win

If it were a movie, it would be called AI3-Avenging Tamyra

Bleh

Chris

Chris

Senior HTF Member
They are all kids. I was waiting for someone to break out with some uber-violent romp "My favorite movie is "Aliens" or something similar.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
As far as the performances:

George- Way off this week, took several steps back

Jennifer- Who would have thunk it? A black female singing a Whitney song. Cliched and very unoriginal

JPL- Goofy, funny, not half bad for an Elvis song

Diana- Quentin hit it, everyone is sick of this song, who cares?

Fantasia- Very annoying voice, and horrible song, but what do I know?

Jasmine- Ok

John Stevens- Good song choice, but no personality

LaToya- Once again, oversinging is not a talent, it's a sign of no talent.

No matter who wins, the album sales are not going to be good. There is no one here, or in the top 12 that could surpass Rueben or Clay, or have real long term pop appeal. They may match Kelly in sales, but that's not saying much.

Edit: I do think George would have good sales if he teamed up with Fred Hammond, or Kirk Franklin and went into Gospel music, he has a good voice for it.

Chris

danak

Second Unit
Patrick,

I'm guessing that your Replay saw it as a repeat since it was the same show within a 28 day period, and therefore didn't record it (at least, that's how Tivo works).

As I was going through my recording of the show again, I did catch Ryan asking Fantasia why she was crying and she said it was because "she was feeling her song". So I guess it was the emotion of the song that did her in. Fantasia is usually pretty cocky, especially when the judges make their comments, but she was really vulnerable tonight and missing her usual cockiness.

Dana

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

Wow! I haven't watched it yet (taped) and I knew Tarantino was gonna be a cool cat but it's awesome that he's giving constructive criticism! Usually the guest judges are worthless because they're too afraid to tell the truth but this is great! I'm really excited to watch it now.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Fantasia

Frigging

Killed it.

That was an AMAZING performance of a pretty atypical choice for a pop music contest. People were picking bombastic ballads left and right, she took some Cole Porter and just drenched that shit with soul.

George wasn't so bad, the cheezy 80's pop choice is what did him in.

I dont' understand why people thought Jennifer did well--she pulled that same ol warbly low octave garbage AGAIN this week. She hadn't done it in awhile, and this week she went right back to that old "my upper range will sound better if I underwhelm them with my mediocre lower register"

Aside from Dorkboy's epileptic hopping, that was probably his strongest vocal performance this week. If you shut your eyes and listened to him, he wouldn't be half bad. Unfortunately, you had to look at his bargain basement blank-faced Elvis impersonation.

Jasmine is flatlining. I'm starting to think my earlier prediction of her getting in will be wrong. I figured it'd be more looks, Hawaii and her pleasant voice would do it, but at this point, George has a final spot pretty much LOCKED if he sticks to the more classic soul side of the spectrum, Fantasia's pretty much got it locked if she gives one more performance that well, and LaToya just might sneak in.

Jennifer and Jasmine will be left behind.

The Blond should go this week. Red will go next. Then the dork. Then Jennifer, then Jasmine.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

:confused: Meaning what? Kelly's album is certified 2x Platinum just like Clay's.

There are a lot of established artists that would kill for that level of sales.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and I'd like to add, the worst performance EVERY night is Randy Jackson trying to act hood. It's ridiculous. I don't know what he's doing with his hands, or what slang he's trying to mangle, but he's about 10 years out of touch, 5 years past the 'fresh by" date and about 20 years too old. and the shit just does. not. work.

he stapled his stomach and now he's down all of a sudden? I don't remember him all "yo yo yo dawg" and flapping his hands in front of him like a frigging bird the two seasons previous. Acting is acting, and he's not a good actor. He needs to quit. You know he wasn't pulling that stuff on Steve Perry when he was in Journey. It'd almost be more authentic if Red started sagging and thumping his chest before he sang, yunno?

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Agree... All of the Mic levels (including the judges)sounded wrong all night...

George: Bad song. Bad performance. Is still the best on the show.

jennifer: If I have said it once, I've said it 1000 times... DO NOT TRY TO DO WHITNEY HOUSTON, [or Mariah Carey or Celine Dion] unless you are Whitney [or Mariah or Celine]! Her voice is one in a billion, and unless you are her clone, the best you can hope for is to sound "almost as good". Plus, Im tired of the weird ass faces jennifer makes! I keep expecting her eyeballs to pop right out of her head and roll into the audience...

JPL- YOU AINT ELVIS SON.... Elvis was to performance what Whitney is to voice... Anybody who tries to duplicate them can only look silly trying...

Diana- See jennifer; If Jon Benet Ramsey had survived to be a teenager, Diana is what she would have become... She drips of "child talent pageant." I wish the judges would ask her what she hopes to do with the money if she wins, so we can hear the prerehearsed, cliche`, "talent pageant" answer of "feed the children" and "help the homeless."

Fantasia- STILL hate her voice. Good performance tonight though.

Jasmine- Start packing kiddo.

Red- Bergman and Bogart are rolling over in their graves. He still has the teen girl vote, so I think he is safe.

LaToya- Same problem as always... While she was singing I remember saying "good voice". Unfortunately, now I can't remember WHAT SHE SANG... Her performances like herself leave no lasting impression...

Neil Sedaka- Who the hell lit him on fire??? Thought he was auditioning for a gig on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy... Charles Nelson Riley called- he wants his schtick back.

The 'Shampoo commercial'- Did this cause anybody else to experience a case of projectile vomiting?

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I thought the singing tonight was pretty good except for that "Titanic" song. Only Celine Dion can sing that one.

I even thought ole Red did ok for the first time in weeks.

Fantasia nailed her song and remains the strongest in this group by far.

Quentin was quite amusing even this was just a stunt to promote Kill Bill 2.

I agree that the eventual winner this year will have a hard time matching the surprising success of Clay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks