1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I think in order to really appreciate Fantasia you really have to be an R&B fan and be acquainted with the greats like Aretha, Anita Baker, and Gladys (sp?).

Not only can the girl blow, she works the audience and is very comfortable on the stage. Fantasia has a rich voice and can make a hit out of singing mary had a little lamb. I will admit that she hit one or two screechy notes last night...but that's too be expected from these kids coming out of nowhere. Established singers mess up all the time when singing live, and yes, folks like Whitney and Mariah...and Britney are included.

2. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

I think the top three choice is a no-brainer at this point. Latoya and Fantasia have been consistently great. The third choice is George who is the only singer in the competition to get consistently better.

The middle 3 are clearly Jennifer, Diana, and Jasmine. I don't think Jennifer is in the same league as the top three. Diana has a powerful voice, but is too young and has had some corny performances (walking through the audience giving high-5s). Jasmine is not bad, but she is not good either. I have never been overly impressed with any performance, and she has no distinctive style (except the flower).

The bottom 3, which most seem to agree with, are Red, Camille, and JPL. Red and Camille need the boot now because neither have had a single decent performance. Just awful. JPL seems to get worse each week. I thought he was pretty strong up to the finals. He's got more potential than Red or Camille, but he needs to nail a couple performances to last much longer.

3. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S

Yesterday's paper said Verizon Hawaii is actually opening MORE phone lines for the voting now because so many people are complaining about getting only busy signals. [​IMG]

Half the contestants last night were pretty bad. Really made me realize how difficult some of Elton John's songs are to sing and how talented he is.

Someone tell Fantasia that not EVERY darn song has to end with "yeeaa. . .aaa. ..aa..aah". Ticks me off.

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Tony Whalen
    Great article Malcolm! Couldn't agree more with it.

I'd like to see Camille go before Red does. Red may be bad, but he's not a half-bad crooner. (Speaking as a fellow crooner...hee!) Sadly, this ain't "Sinatra Idol". Camille, on the other hand, has been consistently poor, and I can't see her making a career of singing in any fashion. Get rid of her.

Me too. Do something different for your wind up. The same thing over and over is just dull and unimpressive.

Mind you, I'm not big on Fantasia anyway....

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Yeah, sometimes she messes up so bad her lips are out of sync! [​IMG]

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

>>>Someone tell Fantasia that not EVERY darn song has to end with "yeeaa. . .aaa. ..aa..aah". Ticks me off.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well? Show's over, where's the update? [​IMG]

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Camile is gone.

9. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

No surprises there... shes been getting by on her looks for 4 weeks now...

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The 3 group split by vote was very interesting. It confirmed that, regardless of performance, John and Jon were had enough fans to push them through. I am curious as to whether Fantasia was 4 or 6 in the group, and also surprised that both Jasmine and Camile were the bottom two (hmm... maybe they DID cut the phone lines in Hawaii).

I think George will make it to the final two. People just love the pee-pee dance.

11. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    How in the WORLD do the John's make it every week? Ok, Red has a touch of class, but JPL is just BAD. He's horribly out of tune, and yet he makes it to the MIDDLE three?

Didn't they stop doing this "America votes" crap because of skewed numbers with Big Brother? I'm sorry, but hypothetically, with this kind of rabid fanbase, JPL could win, and that would be a travesty.

Mike

12. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It's good that Camile has been voted off but 'Red' should have got the boot. Probably shows how close the bottom numbers really are.

BTW, watching the song and dance made me think of The Brady Kids. Ew-w-w-w-w...

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas
    I can't see how Stevens was worse than Camile. Even though Stevens's performance wasn't very good, Camile has been consistently horrible. It looks like Hawaii got its act together this week, although I can't agree with Jasmine and Diana being in the bottom 3. JPL and Stevens should've been there.

14. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

Are you kidding me? That would be hilarious! It would be worth it just to see Simon's reaction.

15. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Actually, wasn't there one round where Simon said JPL was "the dark horse to win the competition"?

Bye bye Camille? About bloody time. She was horrendous, there was nothing redeeming about that "performance". Oddly, I didn't think Red was quite as bad. He tried, failed, but went down fighting, so to speak. [​IMG]

Jasmine & Diana bottom 3? Surprising, I thought Jasmine was quite good, actually, thought slightly "pitchy", in judge-speak. Come to think of it, why do they say "pitchy", shouldn't the correct term be "off-pitch" or even "off-key"? "Pitchy" suggests too much pitch, which isn't the right concept, is it, you are either on or off, can't have too much... [​IMG]

And speaking of judge-speak, although he didn't say it last night, what does Randy mean when he says "give you props"? What are "props"? Aren't they fake items simulating something in a movie or TV show, eg prop gun, prop bottle [​IMG] But seriously, assuming it's short for something, what? "Proposition"? "Proposal"?

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Props = proper respect (or something like that).

17. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

yup.

Anyone else think it was sort of weird that they had em sing before they announced the results?

And anyone else notice the odd coincidence of the songs performed?

Jasmine: Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (i.e. don't boot me off yet)
    Camile: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. (I'm out, thank you, Goodnight)

It was pretty weird.

18. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

FINALLY, A VOICE OF REASON!!

I simply cannot believe my eyes at some of these posts. People are saying JPL has some talent, that he has a voice in there somewhere, that he's not as bad as some of the other singers.

HELLO??? Am I watching a different show? Did anyone hear him sing on Tuesday? Did anyone hear his bit from the AI Soul record? GOOD GOD! If it was American Sheep Idol, he'd win hands down. But it isn't. The fact that JPL makes it night after night makes me ill. He can't sing, he looks dorky, and, frankly, the whole package stinks.

I'm going to bed.

19. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one that thinks that the group of JPL, John Stevens, and Fantasia was actually the top 3? Neither member of that group has ever been in the bottom 3, while both Latoya and Jennifer have both appeared in the bottom 3 recently. It's a disturbing thought, but I think it's very possible.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think the reason both of the bottom 2 sang their songs was because the results show was an hour long, so there was plenty of time to squeeze in each performance.