What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I think in order to really appreciate Fantasia you really have to be an R&B fan and be acquainted with the greats like Aretha, Anita Baker, and Gladys (sp?).

Not only can the girl blow, she works the audience and is very comfortable on the stage. Fantasia has a rich voice and can make a hit out of singing mary had a little lamb. I will admit that she hit one or two screechy notes last night...but that's too be expected from these kids coming out of nowhere. Established singers mess up all the time when singing live, and yes, folks like Whitney and Mariah...and Britney are included.

David Dennison

Second Unit
I think the top three choice is a no-brainer at this point. Latoya and Fantasia have been consistently great. The third choice is George who is the only singer in the competition to get consistently better.

The middle 3 are clearly Jennifer, Diana, and Jasmine. I don't think Jennifer is in the same league as the top three. Diana has a powerful voice, but is too young and has had some corny performances (walking through the audience giving high-5s). Jasmine is not bad, but she is not good either. I have never been overly impressed with any performance, and she has no distinctive style (except the flower).

The bottom 3, which most seem to agree with, are Red, Camille, and JPL. Red and Camille need the boot now because neither have had a single decent performance. Just awful. JPL seems to get worse each week. I thought he was pretty strong up to the finals. He's got more potential than Red or Camille, but he needs to nail a couple performances to last much longer.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Yesterday's paper said Verizon Hawaii is actually opening MORE phone lines for the voting now because so many people are complaining about getting only busy signals. :D

Half the contestants last night were pretty bad. Really made me realize how difficult some of Elton John's songs are to sing and how talented he is.

Someone tell Fantasia that not EVERY darn song has to end with "yeeaa. . .aaa. ..aa..aah". Ticks me off.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Great article Malcolm! Couldn't agree more with it.

I'd like to see Camille go before Red does. Red may be bad, but he's not a half-bad crooner. (Speaking as a fellow crooner...hee!) Sadly, this ain't "Sinatra Idol". Camille, on the other hand, has been consistently poor, and I can't see her making a career of singing in any fashion. Get rid of her.

Me too. Do something different for your wind up. The same thing over and over is just dull and unimpressive.

Mind you, I'm not big on Fantasia anyway....

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The 3 group split by vote was very interesting. It confirmed that, regardless of performance, John and Jon were had enough fans to push them through. I am curious as to whether Fantasia was 4 or 6 in the group, and also surprised that both Jasmine and Camile were the bottom two (hmm... maybe they DID cut the phone lines in Hawaii).

I think George will make it to the final two. People just love the pee-pee dance.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
How in the WORLD do the John's make it every week? Ok, Red has a touch of class, but JPL is just BAD. He's horribly out of tune, and yet he makes it to the MIDDLE three?

Didn't they stop doing this "America votes" crap because of skewed numbers with Big Brother? I'm sorry, but hypothetically, with this kind of rabid fanbase, JPL could win, and that would be a travesty.

Mike

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
It's good that Camile has been voted off but 'Red' should have got the boot. Probably shows how close the bottom numbers really are.

BTW, watching the song and dance made me think of The Brady Kids. Ew-w-w-w-w...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I can't see how Stevens was worse than Camile. Even though Stevens's performance wasn't very good, Camile has been consistently horrible. It looks like Hawaii got its act together this week, although I can't agree with Jasmine and Diana being in the bottom 3. JPL and Stevens should've been there.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Are you kidding me? That would be hilarious! It would be worth it just to see Simon's reaction.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Actually, wasn't there one round where Simon said JPL was "the dark horse to win the competition"?

Bye bye Camille? About bloody time. She was horrendous, there was nothing redeeming about that "performance". Oddly, I didn't think Red was quite as bad. He tried, failed, but went down fighting, so to speak. :D

Jasmine & Diana bottom 3? Surprising, I thought Jasmine was quite good, actually, thought slightly "pitchy", in judge-speak. Come to think of it, why do they say "pitchy", shouldn't the correct term be "off-pitch" or even "off-key"? "Pitchy" suggests too much pitch, which isn't the right concept, is it, you are either on or off, can't have too much... :D

And speaking of judge-speak, although he didn't say it last night, what does Randy mean when he says "give you props"? What are "props"? Aren't they fake items simulating something in a movie or TV show, eg prop gun, prop bottle :D But seriously, assuming it's short for something, what? "Proposition"? "Proposal"?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yup.

Anyone else think it was sort of weird that they had em sing before they announced the results?

And anyone else notice the odd coincidence of the songs performed?

Jasmine: Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (i.e. don't boot me off yet)
Camile: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. (I'm out, thank you, Goodnight)

It was pretty weird.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator

FINALLY, A VOICE OF REASON!!

I simply cannot believe my eyes at some of these posts. People are saying JPL has some talent, that he has a voice in there somewhere, that he's not as bad as some of the other singers.

HELLO??? Am I watching a different show? Did anyone hear him sing on Tuesday? Did anyone hear his bit from the AI Soul record? GOOD GOD! If it was American Sheep Idol, he'd win hands down. But it isn't. The fact that JPL makes it night after night makes me ill. He can't sing, he looks dorky, and, frankly, the whole package stinks.

I'm going to bed.

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one that thinks that the group of JPL, John Stevens, and Fantasia was actually the top 3? Neither member of that group has ever been in the bottom 3, while both Latoya and Jennifer have both appeared in the bottom 3 recently. It's a disturbing thought, but I think it's very possible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason both of the bottom 2 sang their songs was because the results show was an hour long, so there was plenty of time to squeeze in each performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks