What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Though it will be good to hear some Elton John, I cringe at how butchered some will be.

What song will Camille butcher, but still move on thanks to Hawaii?
What song will Jennifer scream at us?
Will John Stevens become an insomnia cure?
Will George Huff still bounce like he's gotta pee?
And the most pressing question....

Will anyone dare sing Crocodile (Karaoke King) Rock?

Chris

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I hope someone sings "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters". Someone who's good at least. I love that song. Now that I think about it, maybe it's better that no one does. I don't want to hear it butchered.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, but whatever three grab "Tiny Dancer" "Your Song" and "Rocket Man" are probably going to be leg up on the other contestants just by song choice.

Hell, if one wanted, they could use the "Your Song" arrangement from "Moulin Rouge" and twist that, since it seems most young people think the song came from that movie. Plus that arrangement allows for more vocal stretching compared to Elton's original.

But whoever does I'm Still Standing will get props.

10 bucks says the goofy hobbit dancing dork does "Bennie and the Jets"

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Well I'm sure the reason tomorrow's show was changed to Elton John songs was due to the fact that William Hung's cd comes out tomorrow and he has covered a few Elton John songs.

What I can't believe is that on the cd Hung's also covered the Eagles "Hotel California".

I doubt that the show will ever feature any of Madonna's self written songs. The copyright fees are probably much too high for the shows budget.

If the talent doesn't get any better in the next few weeks, maybe the producers of the show should consider bringing in Hung to promote his cd. Who knows, maybe Camille, both Johns and William Hung can perform as a quartet.

danak

Second Unit
Has anyone listened to William Hung's new record? If you are an AOL member, you can listen to the whole thing, which I'm doing right now, though I don't know how much longer I can last. He didn't do too bad on 'She Bangs', but I'm currently listening to his total butchering of 'Hotel California', and 'I Believe I Can Fly' just before that. He says on the record that he's not the greatest singer but that he loves to sing. Too bad he has to make everyone else suffer. Folks, don't buy this record; the man shouldn't be encouraged. Geeze, I can't believe a record company actually let him put an album out.

Dana

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If it really is Elton John night, it would be interesting to hear Philadelphia Freedom and Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me; "props" to anyone who dares to sing Crocodile Rock, I'm Still Standing, or Don't Go Breaking My Heart.

Please, let no one be lame enough to sing Candle In The Wind (the "special" version).

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

After Clay blew the roof off last year with his version of Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, it would be suicide for any of these "singers" to try it.

I could see JPL trying Philadelphia Freedom, or even I'm Still Standing.

Chris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Like any of this matters when it's all about bloc voting, and not talent that's keeping some of these horrendous "singers" in the competition. For the next month, it's going to be surprisingly frustrating as to who gets the boot. That, I believe, will be the case, unfortunately. Yes, still a little bitter by last week's result.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator

I really wish he recorded this song on his album, he did an incredible rendition. The songs on the album he released were crap IMO and really didn't showcase his abilities.

No one this year, has even half the voice that Clay has. I guess this really doesn't mater when performers like Britney Spears are popular.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I suspect Randy and Simon will try and up the ante a bit more and lace into Big Red tonight for fear that another decent one bites the dust. We know for sure we can't count on Paula bringing any of that to the table.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
I guess we all have opinions, so here's mine...

Top 3:

Jennifer - Powerful

Jasmine - Has been my personal favorite (although not top tonight)

Latoya - Just plain great

Bottom 3:

Fantasia - She just doesn't do it for me. While others are being called "pitchy" she covers it up with screams like Macy Gray caught in a thresher and gets called amazing.

John - Well he's been out of his element since his first performance...stick to Sinatra

Camile - Need I say more?

danak

Second Unit
Tonight was nearly a train wreck. Not only were the weaker singers terrible, but most of the stronger singers were off as well.

Awful:
John Stevens - He was terrible. I don't feel he's ever given a good performance (among the top 12) but this was his worst. He tried to be more fun loving but his voice betrayed him. Bloody awful as Simon would say. Worse than William Hung, and that's saying a lot.

Jon Peter Lewis - Jon was terrible as well (though not as bad as Stevens) and he hasn't really been good since the start of the top 12. It's like he's totally lost his confidence over the last several weeks.

Camile - Though not quite as bad as John and Jon, she was really off and hasn't done too well over the weeks either.

I hope to see all 3 of the above in the bottom 3 Wed night. I really hope to see John Stevens get booted off; he's just totally out of his league.

Good, kind of:
LaToya - I love LaToya and she did fairly well, but she was off-key or off-pitch several times. She tried to reach for some high notes and didn't quite get them.

Jasmine - She's grown on me over the weeks and has a great voice, but tonight she was off in several places. She wasn't terrible, but I can't put her in the great category either.

Diana - This is another one who's grown on me over the weeks, but this was not one of her better performances.

Fantasia - I love her and I'd like to put her in the great category, but I'd have to agree with Simon in that she did screetch several times

Great or near-great:
Jennifer - She's usually a little too wacky for me, especially her facial expressions, but she did great tonight. She did seem to start off a little shakey, which seems to be her usual pattern, but she was pretty powerful overall.

George Huff - He was really good, especially his voice, though he did seem to have some awkward pauses. But, I never heard of the song before so I don't know how it is supposed to go.

From Paula's comment, it sounded like Diana was sick so it's possible to give her some latitude, but what was up with the other ones? Either they were just too nervous singing Elton John songs or something else was going on.

Dana

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Fantasia Barrino - Good stuff, but what's Simon talking about? She's been screeching since the very beginning.

Jon Peter Lewis - What's with the nerves? Not that bad, but not that good either.

Jasmine Trias - I think the judges made it seem worse than it actually was. She did struggle, but I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe it's because she's so beautiful. :b

John Stevens - I didn't think it was that bad vocally, and even though he showed more energy than usual, there's just no way he's going to make it. He's not a pop star, at least not in the "pop" sense. He's a lounge singer, like Michael Bublé, and there's nothing wrong with that. He's just in the wrong competition.

Camile Velasco - What? She either forgot the words, or she really needs to work on her articulation. This isn't the first time it's happened, either.

George Huff - I'm not a fan of the raspy voice, and good gawd, stop bouncing around like you have to go!

Diana DeGarmo - The beginning and middle were sickening, but I think she saved herself in the end. What's up with having nothing to say, Simon? I guess he didn't want to be critical because she was sick.

LaToya London - Good performance, not great. She doesn't excite me.

Jennifer Hudson - Very good song choice, and unexpectedly, my favorite of the night. I didn't like how the arrangement started out, but then she just started rollin'.

Who I want to go tomorrow: Camile Velasco

Who will go tomorrow: After last week's debacle, I honestly don't know. I have a feeling that Camile is safe for yet another week, though. I think it's going to be John or JPL, more likely JPL.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My, my, my... George is just getting better and better, isn't he? My only complaint is his "pee-pee dancing" as someone else put it, but it's sort of become his signature. He used to start shaky and then finish strong, but now he's solid from start to finish and occasionally great. Also was the first contestant to pick a song he could sing -- it seemed the others chose songs they liked but could not nail.

But Jennifer blew everyone away. She yelled a few times, but I can forgive that and a couple of off notes because overall, she sounded gorgeous.

I don't know why, but I think Diana gets the boot tomorrow. Not that she was the worst tonight (although she was not good), but I think even with the embarassing performance (and man, my wife and I were *cringing* while he was "singing") John Steven has fans.

Oh, and I actually thought this was Camille best performance so far, only because she had spots where she sounded soulful. But we could not understand a single word she was singing. Just a mouthful of mush.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
My rankings from favorite to least favorite:

Jennifer
LaToya
George
Fantasia
Jasmine
Diana
Camille
JPL
John

I'm not even going to try to guess the bottom three after last weeks debacle.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good:

Jennifer - again, a gospel take on the song.

Latoya - though the song didn't grab me.

Okay:

George - the director quit showing close-ups of him because he kept bouncing in and out of frame, his raspy voice just doesn't cut it with me, plus it's the same ol' same ol' week in week out.

Fantasia - screechy was right, ugh.

Jasmine - thin in many spots, horrible song choice.

Diana - sounded like she had a cold because she sounded stuffed up nasally.

Bad, just embarrassingly so:

JPL - horrendously butchered another song.

Camille - another horrible performance.

Red - joke of the competition, that was pathetic.

----

Now I appreciate Elton John as a vocalist a whole lot more after listening to tonight's "performances".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks