What's new

American Idol - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Kelly Clarkson has had the stage to herself for a year
She did? Then who is this Justin guy that keeps popping up everywhere?? ;) Seems he's just as well known as Kelly is.

I agree with previous posters... I think Ruben has an excellent studio voice. We'll just hafta see how their CD's do, hmmm? :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh... to the folks who are complaining about the judges picking who THEY like.

Uh... isn't that their job? I mean, Randy & Simon are in the recording industry. Aren't they supposed to go on who they feel has potential?

Just had to throw that in... ;)

Besides, we've seen on a few occasions that the judges don't always pick the same way that the votes do...

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Wow, I didn't realize that the albums come out in two weeks!

Edit:
Ok, so it's only the singles, and is actually 3 weeks away. :b

Chris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I read last year that the "ballot box stuffing" had a negligible effect on the vote tallies.

Anyhow, Justin was fortunate to be the only guy among 3 girls in the final 4, the girls had to contend with vote splits moreso than Justin.

Also, doesn't the winner get $1 million AND a recording contract (not just a recording contract worth $1 million)? That's been my understanding from the start.

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I didn't realize that the albums come out in two weeks!
I'm not sure about that, I think it's only a 2 song cd single. Clay's has that original song, plus a cover and so does Reuben's. I don't think they started recording the full CD's yet.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The AI2 finale pulled in 34.2 million viewers, which was the 2nd best performance by a reality TV show (Joe Millionaire was the best by pulling in 34.7 million for its finale).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Perhaps, but to date he's released no single, no album, really hasn't done anything of his own other than make some personal appearances.

Meanwhile Kelly's had two hit songs, a hit album, and received her first platinum award.

It doesn't look like Ruben's going to have that sort of "head start."

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
His album comes out on June 10, no release date yet for the single, but this is according to Amazon. Kelly's album only came out around a month ago on April 15.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Yes. Simon has proven to be a snake, but how many record exec. aren't?
In a Newsweek article, he stated that the week it was down to three, he thought Kim L. was better than Ruben, but gave false comments because he has wanted Ruben to win.
May I say, I HATE Simon Cowell!
The same thing happened in the first year in the UK with Pop Idol. When it came down the final 2 contestants, Will Young and Gareth Gates, Gates who is much younger than Young and easier to mold, Simon wanted Gates to win moreso than Young. But when Young won the competition, that just illed Mr. Cowell, but under contract, he had to give dibs to Will Young first in cd single sales and album first. BUT, the one Simon promoted heavily is Gareth Gates AFTER Pop Idol was done.

So, even though, Will Young won the competition, Gareth Gates gets all the publicity and the better songs and stuff.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I'm probably the only person on this thread who actually liked Clay's original song, "This is the Night," in the finale competition. Maybe because it was written by either one of Celine Dion's songwriters or Dianne Warren, not sure which it was.

Anyway, I'll be definitely picking up Clay's singles and Ruben's singles. And albums for both too.

And Ruben's single, "Flying Without Wings," is a cover song from Westlife's album (Westlife is produced by 19 Studios, Simon Cowell's studio). So whoever said that is right.

To me, Clay's voice is not "broadway" by any mean. His voice, though pure and un-edgy, is not the broadway type of voice. That voice won't get him into Broadway...maybe to something of lower class, say Rent (where Frenchie Davis is doing currently), but not to the higher class Broadway musicals. His voice, IMHO, is akin to Barry Mannilow's voice (and I know a lot of people hate Barry Mannilow, but he does have some great songs). His voice is closer to adult-contemporary than anything else. True, it isn't a "pop" voice, but his voice performance will last him much longer in the long run, than a "pop" voice will. My mom tells me that he reminds her of a young Bing Crosby, which I can definitely see that in him.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Kong, Clay's voice being compared to a young Bing Crosby's voice should be considered to be a huge compliment. To this day, Bing's voice is still one of the most recognizable singing voices in the world to anyone in the music industry. One thing's for sure, Bing was truly blessed with his set of pipes.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Clay's voice being compared to a young Bing Crosby's voice should be considered to be a huge compliment. To this day, Bing's voice is still one of the most recognizable singing voices in the world to anyone in the music industry. One thing's for sure, Bing was truly blessed with his set of pipes.
Karl, I'm not implying it's bad. I think that it's great too, because I grew up on Bing's singing when I was young in the 70's, and he does have a very distinctive set of pipes. That's why I like Clay. It sets him apart from a lot of other people in his age bracket. And I think that Clay can be the next Bing Crosby and have a long career ahead of him.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I actually liked This is the night. Cant wait till both these singles and albums

capt

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Kong, I knew you weren't implying it was bad, lol! You recognize true talent when you hear it. I too was agreeing with your mom's comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks