What's new

American Idol - Season 12 (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Is this show even still relevant? Seriously, they have gone from a good concept and legit show in season 1 to a laughing stock that's just a shell of its former self. I am not buying any of this BS they are trotting out with the idiots wanting their 5 minutes of fame nor am I buying the whole cat fight staging between Nicky and Mariah. This is "reality" TV gone down the same road far too long now. You can predict all the crap way ahead and know all of the spats between Nicky and Mariah are staged, not word for word, but they've been told to spice it up and keep people talking about them not getting along for the shows publicity. Any PR is good PR and this show has just gotten worse and worse. Besides that, none of the judges meld together well and they too seem really bored with the whole thing just going through the motions. At least J-Lo and Steven gave the show life and chemistry, this is just a disaster. For me, I am staying with The Voice, which returns early in March this year after getting such high ratings this past airing. Yes, some of the banter is obviously staged here too, but you don't get all the full-on BS like on Idol or the idiots that know they have no talent and just want 5 minutes on TV.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
EricSchulz said:
I caught a bit of last night's show.  Some really nice talent in Chicago!  LOVED the story and performance by Lazar, the Cuban singer that stutters.  His "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was outstanding! Nicki Minaj is awful.  THAT VOICE!!!!!
What particular talent does Nicki Minaj have? The woman is a joke and has no place on the panel passing judgment on others.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Stan said:
What particular talent does Nicki Minaj have? The woman is a joke and has no place on the panel passing judgment on others.
He said she was awful. :confused:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
He said she was awful. :confused:
I was agreeing with Eric, she is awful. Just making a generic comment about why she's even a judge on the show.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I missed the first auditions, then I happened to record part of the second in lieu of Glee. Watched one audition, and that's all she wrote. Haven't seen anything else other than what shows up on The Soup. Absolutely no one at work watches the show anymore. It used to be a huge watercooler topic, but now it's like it isn't even on the air.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Yee-Ming said:
Subject to approval from Adam, I'll certainly run one, if there's sufficient interest.  So far I count 4?  Anyone else?
I'll be back for my "annual suckage" ... and despite all the BMC'n there are a few talents this year so far. I don't watch the show for the judges anyway - usually FF thru their comments. After all it's "a singing competition" not a judging competition.. :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
EricSchulz said:
Well, AI is being deemed "officially irrelevant" after this season as VoteForTheWorst.com is pulling the plug after this season: 'Vote for the Worst' 'American Idol' website shutting down | PopWatch | EW.com The comments posted by EW readers are well worth reading!
Watched what may have been the first episode of this season, not sure because it has become "offically irrelevant" to me, just had some free time and thought I'd give it a try. It will be the last episode I ever watch. Just did a quick search and the last time I watched a full season was when Kris Allen won. That was four years ago. Doesn't look like I missed much, same old stuff, just different people.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Hanson said:
I missed the first auditions, then I happened to record part of the second in lieu of Glee. Watched one audition, and that's all she wrote. Haven't seen anything else other than what shows up on The Soup. Absolutely no one at work watches the show anymore. It used to be a huge watercooler topic, but now it's like it isn't even on the air.
Yes, same here in that regard. Most I know are now watching The Voice which they feel offers a more adult approach without all the trash that consumes AI. I really enjoyed the last Voice, especially Cassidy Pope.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H
Yes, same here in that regard. Most I know are now watching The Voice which they feel offers a more adult approach without all the trash that consumes AI. I really enjoyed the last Voice, especially Cassidy Pope.
The Voice is a superior show. Not only is the talent better (and lacking 14-year olds caterwauling Maria week-after-week), but the format moves the show along quicker, the overall quality is way higher (just one performance appears to cost more than an entire season of Idol), and the song variety is better (only a few instances of singing River Deep Mountain High, unlike Idol where it's on its 1000 iteration).
The best thing about The Voice, though, is that it's overall a positive show. The overall energy on Idol has (and continues to be) just...well...negative. SYTYCD and The Voice are totally different from Idol in this regard.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"The Voice" is more entertaining, but I also get a "second chance at success" vibe to the talent they recruit for the show (good voice, no star quality, etc.). Also, I like the blind auditions for "The Voice" more than the battle rounds, or the voting rounds of that show. AI also recruits talent, but it's lesser known talent, but I'm not sure if their business model is working as well in terms of promoting the eventual winner equating with charting success. Plus, some of the "coming out of nowhere" aspect of most of the top-ten contestants each season on AI can make for more interesting human interest stories.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
Subject to approval from Adam, I'll certainly run one, if there's sufficient interest. So far I count 4? Anyone else?
In for a penny, in for a pound!
This year's RAF Memorial Top Ten Challenge:-
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/327326/the-2013-american-idol-12-htf-raf-memorial-top-ten-challenge
As Robert used to say, "You've got to be in it to win it!" So whatever few HTFers out there that still watch AI, come on in!
I also mentioned in the Challenge thread that if participation is very limited, to riff on Phil's 'suckage', I would suggest we have a second challenge to try and suck the most, i.e. deliberately try to get the placings wrong and get the highest score. Thoughts?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Re The Voice, I must say I've enjoyed that show. They don't waste time with the showboat gloryhounds who can't sing at all, those that get through do seem generally of a higher quality than AI's finalists, and the coaching aspect is very interesting as well. It also seems quite genuine, in that e.g. Blake Shelton has actually taken his proteges on tour with him, and that kind of exposure is a huge boost to a young artiste's career, when for non-winners wide exposure usually ends the moment the show's finale airs. But I've been watching AI anyway, and I will say Nicky Minaj isn't as bad as I had expected -- she does seem to provide some constructive feedback, or at least interesting observations. And she's quite a hoot. On the other hand, Mariah was worse than I expected -- she hardly says anything useful or interesting at all, save to just gush over how "pretty" someone's voice is, or how she nearly cried on hearing him/her sing. I also note there have been relatively few split votes: most are unanimous either way. Not sure what that says about the judging...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Nikki's big talent is that she's a rapper who repeatedly can rhyme one word with itself and somehow doesn't get called on it. That and she popularized butt implants. significantly prefer the voice as time has gone on. They put more effort into walking through the coaching, building of talent and the audition stage avoids all the stupid upfront banter

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, I bash her for her talent (or lack thereof) and I watch through last week and I have to admit, to me she's the most enjoyable part of the show. She's not quite Simon, but her attitude to be able to tell people to get lost is at least entertaining. Everyone else beats around the bush - a real problem they had last season - but damn, she just comes out "this sucked".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The irony of hearing the Grammy-winning Gotye song get butchered repeatedly tonight had to be the hand of providence. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So tired of Kez Ban at this point already. She's just fodder. Too bad that Neeley girl got the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks