American Idol hits DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Fox's American Idol comes to DVD on October 15th.

StudioWorks' compilation DVD will include performances from the final 10 contestants in the competition, other highlights from the series, and scenes from the upcoming September 4 finale. The DVD is also set to include an additional 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage, backstage goings-on, and "banter" between the judges.

Retail will be $19.99.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Man, these network whores will just about box anything, huh?

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Why crap on a thread Adam?

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Sorry, don't mean to crap. LEt me rephrase then...

I can't believe that these companies are packaging obscure television series to try and market to consumers. Instead of wasting their time boxing reality series that nobody's going to watch more than once, they should spend their time boxing good television series and making SE's on movies that are more deserving.

Let's start a discussion here:

Reality television box sets? worth it?

I'll start: NO. Why? Because any suspense that they had (which is really one of reality television's only strong points) is gone. I know, I know, one may say, "Adam, why re-watch a movie? You already know the end!" There are, however, many more layers to a movie. I'm a huge Survivor, Amazing Race, and Tough Enough fan. Would I ever buy a box set of any of them? NO!!! Once is certainly enough for these shows.

IMHO.

5. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Well, I think the difference between owning this, than say, Survivor on DVD, is that you wouldn't be buying it for the "who's gonna win?" suspense factor; rather, I think people would want to buy this to see some of their favorite musical performances again.

I know I'd love to see Justin's early falsetto performances from the first few weeks (such as when he made Paula Abdul cry.) That's when I became a Justin fan, although he hasn't been shining in recent weeks.

There are also some wonderful performances from Tamyra and Kelly which would be worth watching again.

I doubt I'd buy the disc, but I'd probably rent it.