American Idol Complete Seasons on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mick Tees, May 27, 2004.

1. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

Just curious TV Shows on DVD Fanatics.... I know Idol has released a best of and or compilation of Season One on dvd.

I know there are a lot of episodes, but, if Fox offered American Idol on complete season sets on dvd, would you buy them?

Also, what seasons would you purchase?

[​IMG]

2. danak

danak Second Unit

I wouldn't mind seeing complete shows for the top 10/12 (performance and result nights plus finale). I have my favorite performances taped for Season 3, so I would buy Season 1 and 2, depending on the cost of course.

At the very least, I wish they would put out best of disk for Season 2

How many shows is it per season anyway?

Dana

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I wouldnt buy them.

Dont get me wrong. Its nothing against the show.

I just really wouldnt think something like this would have great replay value for me.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Considering specials, extended episodes, etc. that'd be a hefty 50+ hour box right there. Probably 15 discs or so.

I wouldn't buy them because unlike Survivor, there's nothing that you would notice the second time that you didn't notice the first.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The music clearances for a complete season would be through the roof.

6. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Does this show really have alot of re-watchability?

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd love to get single or 2 disc sets for higher end performers. I'd love to have a complete set of Fantasia or Clay's performances, for example. I think a complete season would be untenable.

8. danak

danak Second Unit

I guess the rewatchability factor comes into play if we just get best performances. I would love to have Tamyra Gray's performance of "A House Is Not A Home" and Clay's "Solitaire" and some others (and not just snippits). Since I now have a DVD recorder, I've been saving my favorite performances for Season 3, which I will probably rewatch a few times. I wish I had kept my VHS recordings of favorites from the first 2 seasons.

Dana

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'd like to get Clay's "Bridge Oer Trouble Water." A best-performances collection would definitely be rewatchable.

10. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Looks like season sets are a possibility (if not, looks like more highlight reels are on the way).

I wouldn't buy these either way, but I don't think season sets make sense in this situation. First, there are the countless specials that they do, just pointless interviews and replaying clips over and over. Then, not only are there a lot of songs, but those songs are sometimes done a ton of times...

Just seems like it'd be too monotonous to watch again and again.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I would think they have the rights cleared up before, since the contestants have to choose from a pre-approved list of songs each week that they already had the rights to. They have said they couldn't sing certain songs because they couldn't get the rights for them. And, the first season DVD had plenty of music on them.

Besides, these aren't the actual songs anyway, just basically the muzak like backing tracks that most Karaoke machines have.

12. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Every year, I get completely caught up in the show, but I would never consider buying a season set. Too many mediocre and bad performances by the also-rans. And without the suspense element, I think the episodes would lose most of their impact.

13. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

The first season single DVD release was good, but I thought it could have had more on it. For instance, Kelly Clarkson performed the song "Walk On By". She hit it out of the ballpark. It was one of the best covers of this classic that I've heard to date. That's the kind of thing that I would like to re-visit.

I agree with some other posts, some of the performances would be painful to sit through again. You edit out the weaker performances and include the final 12 performers once they move into their apartment. They usually have a different theme each week (Motown, Big Band, 80's) with a celebrity judge/guest. Those performances would be cool to have another look at.

Also, it's fun to come back to the first try-outs that they hold at the stadiums to watch the silly things that went on and those individuals' reactions to the judges.

I think it makes a difference because I'm a music lover. I think I would watch this over sitting down to Survivor just because I know who wins in the end. I know who wins in the end with Idol but I really enjoy the music and the artists song choices, musical interpretations, and the judges & contestants reactions.

[​IMG]

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

On IDOL this week, one of the losers was complaining that the reason they thought they were leaving was because the producers weren't able to clear the rights for the song they wanted to sing.

So, I would guess that now, those rights have to include DVD.

15. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    Don't very few reality shows have very little replay value? I wonder how many people would watch repeats of AI, or another reality show.

There are some exceptions like Fear Factor, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and whatnot, but AI doesn't seem like it would have much replay value

16. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

It depends on the show. Survivor and Apprentice are both fantastic shows that I would watch again and again. I just got into TAR, but I really like it so I'll probably pick up the DVD sets.

AI is one that I couldn't watch again, simply because so much material is repeated and there is so much filler.