American Horror Story: Coven (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stan said:
Just as JohnMor gets me in the mood to give this show another try, you post that picture. Way to go Adam, creep me out even more than before.

Odd that I totally enjoy shows like Dexter, way over the top compared to this. I'll give it a try, hopefully it is a little "lighter" this season.
What, you don't like snakes?

That symbolism is hot...

This show could many places...and get away with it...

Little bits of...

Story of O
Belle de Jour
The Night Porter
Hemel

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm looking forward to the new season, but I gotta say IMO they haven't had one interesting teaser this year. They've all been very blah to me. Oh well, just about a month away...

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am really looking forward this season. Can't wait. I love the fact they change it up each year. Good stuff!!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Last season ended in a very satisfying manner, and I'm really looking forward to this season, it should really rock.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I really enjoyed the first season of American Horror Story, but just couldn't get into last season's 'Asylum' and ended up giving up about 2/3 of the way through. In any event, I plan on giving this season a try.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
EricSchulz said:
VERY creepy. The credits for the first season really creeped me out, but the credits for the second season weren't as effective for me, probably because I've become desensitized to insane asylum horror tropes over the years.I was surprised that Angela Bassett and Gabourey Sidibe weren't included in the main credits, given that they're two of the biggest names in the cast. I figured Bassett would get top billing, with Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange credited as shown.Makes me wonder how many episodes each is in.
Scott Hanson said:
I really enjoyed the first season of American Horror Story, but just couldn't get into last season's 'Asylum' and ended up giving up about 2/3 of the way through. In any event, I plan on giving this season a try.
That's the great thing about this anthology concept; if one season doesn't work for you, it's a whole fresh start the next time around. They're never locked into any missteps for more than the handful of episodes.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I've disliked each season opener (although Asylum's grew on me when I revisited it.) But I can't say I disliked this one, although it didn't thrill me either. Had some great moments. And some dull ones. Trusting they'll make the most of this premise and we won't be sitting through 12 or 13 episodes of nothing but shallow bitchiness. That aspect of it got old VERY fast. With the seeming (for now) exceptions of Zoe, Queenie and Nan, there certainly isn't one positive aspect to any of the females for such a female heavy cast. I hope there's more layers to these characters, but for now they certainly seem pretty superficial and shallow. There needs to be more depths to plumb to keep my interest.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
I've disliked each season opener (although Asylum's grew on me when I revisited it.) But I can't say I disliked this one, although it didn't thrill me either. Had some great moments. And some dull ones.
Yeah, since each season premiere is like a pilot, there's a boatload of setup so it's tough to judge it on its own.

JohnMor said:
With the seeming (for now) exceptions of Zoe, Queenie and Nan, there certainly isn't one positive aspect to any of the females for such a female heavy cast. I hope there's more layers to these characters, but for now they certainly seem pretty superficial and shallow. There needs to be more depths to plumb to keep my interest.
I know how this is going to sound but I'll say it anyway. I think the friendly yet strong and empowered female has become the biggest cliché in movies/TV shows/comic books in the last 5 years so I would find a group of unlikable and bitchy women to be an oddly refreshing change in the pop culture landscape. Like you said, I imagine we've only seen the surface of these characters and they will all have shades of gray and some will show their positive attributes as the story progresses.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TV by the Numbers: Coven debut most watched AHS episode everIt beat everything on the broadcast networks except for Modern Family. Absolutely huge ratings.The least scary premiere yet. Nothing I've seen since the first season has topped the creepiness of the extremely haunted murder house. That being said, Asylum compensated with its gothic noir ambiance and it looks like this season's going to compensate with its humor. Quite a few laugh-out-loud moments.I really liked the Violet character in the first season, and missed Taissa Farmiga in Asylum. Nice to see her back here as the narrator and (seeming?) protagonist.The scene where Madison gets date-raped was absolutely harrowing. The editing and cinematography did a great job put us right in there with Madison without actually showing us anything. It was claustrophobic, disorienting and awful. Excellently made television.I did not see the twist with Madame LaLaurie coming. It holds some interesting possibilities. And it's the kind of role Kathy Bates was born to play.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is one of those shows that I still haven't watched a "first-run" episode of. IT was a "week available buy" though.

I watched the original one over the course of 8 days. I don't think I could have stood the waiting around a week. That is telling about how good the first season was. And the 2nd season wasn't a letdown...but I still don't think it was as good.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The first season was genuinely terrifying at times. The second season was deeply unsettling.So far the third season really hasn't been scary at all, but the show's just as deliciously twisted as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks