American Drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just got back from trip to cedar point, and noticed a couple things about driving in the states. It's been a while since I've been down for any length of time, but I'm always amazed at how people drive down there. Barring some stupid construction decisions (like having the a road closure on the detour around a road closure), it seemed to be a better experience than driving up here. The biggest things I noticed:

-American drivers know what a passing lane is, and how not to block it. Driving anywhere on the 401, there are always people sitting in the left lane blocking traffic, people passing on the right etc.

-American drivers know what a speed limit is, and tend to respect it. Other than having to try to see the little mph numbers on the inside of the spedometer, I noticed that on most of the highways traffic ran at just about the speed limit (maybe around 70 on a 65 mph road). Back home though, there's regularly people driving at 120+ (with a 100 km/h limit), some MUCH higher than that.

Any idea why this might be? Are US cops harsher than Canadian ones?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

3. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Where I grew up in Western Mass I tend to be fairly careful about my speed. Cops are giddy to give out tickets. One speeding ticket, in the end, costs around $500-$1k (insurance premium increases) plus the fine! It's easier to get out of local tickets though, something I had to do just the other day.

Now, out here near Boston. Once within 20 miles or so of the city, 15-20mph over the speedlimit on the highway is pretty normal. The leftmost lane on major high roads with light or medium traffic is generally faster than that.

On RT2, the speed limit is 55mph. You're a hazard if you're going this slow. Many times I've been going 70-75mph on it and had cops pass me without blinking an eye.

That said, people are generally very good about being in the correct lanes and moving out of the way for faster traffic.

Driving in the city is a different beast altogether.

5. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I would agree with those that say its a regional experience. Here in Vancouver no one understands the passing lane. In L.A. and to some degree San Francisco they understand. In Seattle its not much different than Vancouver other than the fact they have 2 to 3 times as many lanes and cars.

Patrick

7. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've been driving for about 30 years on a 20x100 mile island that has about 5 million people. No chargable accidents, last speeding ticket was around 1974. We generaly don't put up with people who don't follow the rules of the road.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In Atlanta, the speed limit is 55mph on the perimeter I-285, but everyone does 70mph without blinking an eye (doing 55mph will get you run over or honked at by plenty of folks).

You have to be doing over 80mph before it's worth the state trooper's time to pull you over (it seems).

10. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

12. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Speed limits? Is this something new? Around here we don't have 'em, at least no one seems to think so.

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    The driving in So. California is horrid. No one, I mean no one uses a damn signal around here. They have no concept on using a fast lane. They either drive too fast or too slow.
    I work in Midway City, Ca. "Little Saigon", and no one drives over 25 MPH.
    I could be driving 75 mph with the flow of traffic and you get some hot-rod, zooming by you shaking his head because you've inconvenienced him an his idiotic lifted SUV.
    I have noticed when I go to Arizona though, you come upon somebody in the left lane, they move to the right and so on. It's almost a pleasure to drive there.
    No one knows how to drive here...[​IMG]

14. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I deal with this almost on a daily basis with my commute from DC to Baltimore and back to DC. It is so frustrating. [​IMG]
    I think driving experiences vary greatly from region to region. The Washington, DC metropolitan area is funny. Virginia drivers think Maryland drivers are terrible. MD drivers think VA drivers are terrible. DC drivers hate MD and VA drivers.
    [​IMG]

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I've noticed driving in California that you have to speed or someone will ride your ass all the way. I didn't get a ticket until I was over 150 mph on I-5 heading North, south of Redding.

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

18. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Lotta assholes up in the Seattle area. I live down in SW Washington and hadda go up to Lynnwood to see my half sister. I was on my learners permit then. My dad was with me and so was my brother. For no reason at all, the traffic slowed down all of a sudden. There's my dad panicing as usual when I'm driving. He wanted me to get in the right lane so we can exit the freeway from all this bullshit. So, I hit my signal to go in that lane, and this one asshole tries to speed up so I can get in. So, my dad screamed at me, "Floor it. I mean FLOOR IT!" So I did and got in. TAKE THAT!!! Driving toward Portland isn't so bad. I can weave in and outta traffic with no problems. I get pretty aggressive at times. I set the cruise around 74 when the limit is 70. Sure wish the cruise worked on my 84 Toyota Van. Idiots who rebuilt the engine didn't put it back the way it was. I also hate it when you're on a HW and you have somebody behind you and you go to make a left turn and the asshole passes you on the right. THAT'S ILLEGAL!! Now, what I do is pull over slightly to the right before I make the left turn so he don't pass! LMAO!! Usually I have to wait for the oncoming traffic to clear before I cross to get in that driveway to the left. So many idiots out there. Another thing that pisses me off is people pulling them trailer homes. THEY DRIVE SO FREAKING SLOW!!! 45 in a 55 zone?!?!? I don't think so. And when I'm doing around 58 in a 55 MPH zone and you STILL have some asshole riding on your ass. Part of our road, the speed limit is 20. Mostly, I do around 25 and 30. But if I have somebody behind me, I do 20. LOL They don't like that at all. Well, speed limit's 20. Why break the law? Also, what I hate is them idiots who speed up when you try to pass them. My brother took my van over 70 MPH trying to pass some slow assed idiot doing 45 in a 55. He tried to pass, but he sped up. My brother punched the gas, gave the guy a dirty look, honked the horn and gave him the finger. Then the guy, probably, said "I better back off!". See, it's idiots like THAT that cause accidents. If somebody wants to pass, let 'em pass. If somebody is going too slow, make him eat your dust. I usually hot rod my vehicle when I pass them. That'll show 'em! Ok, I'm done.

19. Scott L

Scott L Producer

20. Tony_P

Tony_P Stunt Coordinator

I concur with Zen, SoCal drivers never use turn signals. It pisses me off to no end. It also seems like the people in the more expensive cars (Mercedes, BMW) are the worst offenders when it comes to this. Arrgh!
    Also, what is up with all the running of red lights? I moved to Pasadena from Palo Alto last year and it was quite a shock to see how many people run lights down here. Now, I always wait an extra second or two after the light turns green. If I approach an intersection that is already green, I actually SLOW DOWN in case there is an idiot running a red. It happens all the time (and the car running the red usually has a caved in side panel...go figure.)
    There was actually one time where I sat at the intersection with a green light watching car after car run the red. The intersection didn't clear until MY LIGHT had turned yellow!!!! [​IMG]