What's new

American Dreams Ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
This series is what a quality tv show is supposed to be about and I'm glad it will be back. Alot of people can relate to this series in various ways and it is touching alot of hearts. It's all about family, and it's about time "family" is important again to all of us. Those of you who have children will probably understand this better. Jack Pryor stepped up to the plate by saying he wanted Beth to stay with them and to have the baby. Helen stepped up to the plate also by standing her ground as a mother when she was talking the the Mother Superior. I was proud of Henry when he told Nathan that he should serve his country like he had and his father. And JJ stepped up when he saw his buddies nneding leadership after the corporal was killed. Next week's show ought to be a good one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So I take it the Pryors won't be moving to LA so that Meg can continue to dance on American Bandstand? :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ha ha Patrick! - Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out, and also wondering what their new zip code wil be.
90210 anybody?

Anyway, I had to comment on the C.O. status. They did draft them, but just put them in non-combatant situations, like a cook or a male nurse. Fun jobs. He's going through a lot of trouble for nothing, and I can see him doing something really stupid to prove a point.

Glenn

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I had to comment on the C.O. status. They did draft them, but just put them in non-combatant situations, like a cook or a male nurse. Fun jobs. He's going through a lot of trouble for nothing, and I can see him doing something really stupid to prove a point.
IIRC, there were at least two types of COs. One type that were treated exactly as Blenn describes. But I think that for those who could demonstrate that (in their belief) is was immoral to even support combatants were exempted from the draft.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
4/5/04 (Season finale)

Gah! Hate these season-ending cliffhangers!

Luke is going on the road, and Rox is resigned to him leaving for good. Rox does strike up a new friendship with the guy that works with Meg at the TV station.

Meg and Sam go to the college at an anti-war demonstration, and get sucked into a sit-down, and eventually are faced with the decision to leave and avoid arrest (with Sam possibly losing his scholarship to Browne), but Sam is adamant about staying to protest to war for Nathan. Meg and Sam both get arrested along with many other students.

Helen catches the new guy almost snuggling with his roommate, makes the connection to his sexual orientation, but leaves quickly to avoid the situation. Later, Helen promises to not tell anyone about the situation.

Jack is in full-swing campaign mode as he reaches out for the catholic vote. But the influential priest is wary of Beth's pregnancy outside of marriage, and this presents a morality image problem for Jack (should the church back him in the election). Beth's parents show up to try and talk some sense into her (i.e. most likely the abortion angle), but Helen reveals that her and Jack conceived JJ before wedlock and things turned out well enough. Beth's parents are not convinced by this revelation and Helen has to invite them to leave pronto. At the church get-together at the Pryor's home to get influential church members behind Jack's campaign, Jack corrects the priest when he introduced Beth as JJ's wife, and this causes a ripple through the attendees, and the priest was not pleased by this situation as it put him in a bad position.

Jack chaperones Patty's first movie date with the pet shop boy. The movie makes Patty think about becoming a nun, but she quickly changes her mind after talking with a nun at school.

Will is confused by the situation between Beth and JJ.

JJ and his troops are in deep kimchi as they are outnumbered by the enemy and aren't going to get any air support. JJ had to make the decision to give Perez his rifle back because the situation had gotten so bad, but JJ makes it clear to Perez that he'll still have to report Perez if/when they get back alive to the corps. We won't know the fate of JJ until next season. Grr...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I do like the way most of these characters remain true to themselves even though there are external forces that want to impose their own agenda on them to do something else. It does mean paying a price for owning up to their personal integrity instead of just going along with the crowd just because it'd be easier to keep their mouths shut on certain issues and topics.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
For the record, if I'm Sam, I'm not getting arrested.

But that's just me...

...and man did the jungle scenes really look good in HD or what?!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I recall those anti-war days very clearly. I was in college from 1967 - 1971. Most of the college guys I knew didn't burn their draft cards. They knew that staying in school would keep them out of the draft as long as they were in undergraduate school. Once you got bachelor's degree you could be eligible for the draft. Guys during the mid to late 60s had some tough choices to make. I admire those that stood up for their beliefs.

As far as C.O. status, people who were given that status ususally did alternative service. A friend of mine worked in a federal mental hospital for his C.O. status.

Scott Bender

Auditioning
So are they setting up Patty to be gay or something? She certainly seems to not be too into the boys. I thought the nun thing came from her being uncomfortable with the kiss more than the movie.

I liked the episode too, I can't believe its over before May sweeps.

Scott

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
They came up with some rather amusing ways of hiding Gail O'Grady's pregnancy. A nice ending for a great show. I hope the Emmys take notice of Jonathan Adams, at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks