"American Dad" debut!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by NickSo, Feb 6, 2005.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Anybody catch it?

Its not too bad so far a few LOL moments, but not as hilarious as family guy...

"Its too risky right now" - The teacher with the frog... oh man

Can they say "douchebag" on TV?

"i learned this from years of experience, women are never right"

"ohyeah, Kudos on the Bee-yatch"

[​IMG]

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I'm taping it for now. I have a feeling it won't be around too long. None of the characters really had any likeable qualities (kinda like The Critic - I'm gonna get heat for that), but it's very early to judge.

The fish & the alien - wha-a-a-...?

3. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I have to agree...it's really missing the spark that Family Guy had. It had a few laugh out loud moments, but for the most part, ehh...

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Keith: now that you mention it, im noticing the characters aren't as memorable as family guy... i mean, Stewie was awesome...

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    This show makes me long for the return of Family Guy even more, but not in a good way. In my far-from-humble opinion, "American Dad" is an American dud.

I found it unfunny, obnoxious, and forced. I couldn't care less about the political perspective (which I won't go into) if the show is funny. I didn't laugh a single time with this show, whereas with Family Guy I can laugh so hard I almost induce a brain hemmorhage, even with episodes I've watched over and over. In fact this show at times seemed to me like a poor copy of Family Guy, just taking on politics and not popular culture. Unfortunately, Seth MacFarlane is not as well-versed on politics as on pop culture. With Family Guy, he and the writers seemed to have a well-versed knowledge of trivia that even I didn't know about. References to TV shows often contained mentions of episodes that actually existed, rather than just making one up based on sketchy knowledge. And it's irreverent, even offensive, but usually funny. Not one thing in the pilot of "American Dad" struck me as even being in the same league of Family Guy on a bad day. It didn't even shock me or offend me, it just made me think "eh." Everything struck me as anemic and indifferent.

I hope this show either improves exponentially quickly or dies a quick death so that Seth M. can get back to doing the revived FG. Other shows have improved greatly from their beginnings IMO, but I am not optimistic about this show.

6. Eddy-C

Eddy-C Supporting Actor

I liked it. My favorite was the pervy german fish.

7. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

My benchmark for any review continues to be...

"...but Football In The Groin had a football in the groin..."

American Dad didn't have that...yet. Give it a few more weeks, Fox. Don't pull the plug yet...

8. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    What do you people expect from a pilot anyway? But, I liked it. I've had a 6 min preview sitting on my HD for months now. Interesting how they changed the voice and the look of Steve Smith. A few lol moments though. Don't kill this one, Fox.

9. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I think we can now officially say that Seth MacFarlane is a hack.

10. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Wow was that sad. Nothing but cliches and rehashes from other shows. I hope this isn't a preview of what the return of Family Guy will be like. [​IMG]

11. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

It was alright... but I like Family Guy much better.

I hope it gets better as it goes along.

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    For God's sake, Bill, is every other post of yours a personal attack on Seth MacFarlane?

13. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

No, I'm not a fan of Paul WS Anderson, either. In any case, I think Seth MacFarlane represents everything that's wrong with comedy today.

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

First off, I'll say that I'm not a fan of The Family Guy. I just don't find it all that funny in general. Stewie is really the only character that does anything for me.

I've also seen the internet preview, and wasn't exactly impressed. It just felt like a rehash of Family Guy. Come on, Seth, do you have an original idea in your head?

Sure enough, seeing the final product didn't change my opinion. Other than the fact that the dad reminded me scarily of some of the people I work with, I can't say it did much for me.

Like Family Guy, I'll forget about this as well.

Jason

15. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I did not watch this tonight, as it came from Seth McFarlane. I agree with Bill that he is a hack(for the most part).

I am one of the five people on this planet that just cannot stand family guy. There were a few times I watched it and laughed some, but the main problem with that show is that the jokes just seem TOO forced on you. So random and off the wall that it is basically saying "Look at us! We ARE funny!" Family Guy was like taking all the worst bits from Simpsons episodes(kinda like the Moe with two knives joke) and turning it into a series. UGH!

I call it the Will Ferrell syndrome. Well, the current SNL cast syndrome more like it. Where there is obviously some good talent in the pool, but they are all constantly trying to remind us that they are funny and can do stuff, that it comes across as annoying and forced. Yet, when they are restrained or keep things in control(Old School) they can be quite funny.

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I can't believe all the Seth Macfarlane slamming that goes on in this forum. You'd think the guy was the anti-Christ or something.

Anyway, I liked the episode. Funny, but not as funny as most Family Guy eps. Of course, I am a fan of Macfarlane's brand of humor (very similar to most Adult Swim shows which I also like).

I've heard that complaint a lot, and I couldn't disagree more. A good portion of the jokes are obscure pop culture references, so I don't think they're forced at all. At least not more than any other comedy oriented shows. It may not be your cup of tea, but that's a taste issue...not a quality one.

That being said, to each his own. I have no problem with people not liking Macfarlane, it just seems that we get a lot more repetitive belly-aching in these threads than we need.

17. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I love Seth Macfarlane's humor, and I really enjoyed American Dad last night. While I still like Family Guy better I thought the humor was clever despite some forced jokes.

There was a great sequence cut from last nights broadcast that takes place right before the Dad and son go to the mall together. It went a little something like this:

Dad- "Back in college do you know what the ladies used to call me? The Penis! Actually I think it was penis head. And I think it may have been in high school. And it may have been derrogatory and not a compliment of my sexual prowess." [​IMG]

18. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I liked it, it was an alright first episode, I was recently watching the Family Guy and their first few episodes weren't all that great. It just takes time to get used to something new. There are a lot of Family Guy likeness's, the house is a big one, but it's like Futurama, which was basically The Simpsons in the 30th Century.
    I'm a little bit more on the Republican side of things but I like how the show made fun of both sides. The newspaper headline was great: "Democratic National Commitee Missing: Feared Dead" and the other great quote was "Fixing Elections is my Bread and Butter!"
    I'm looking forward to more.

19. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Nah, the Anti-Christ could probably put on a good (if blasphemous) show. MacFarlane's problem is that he's a bad writer, bad cartoonist and bad voice actor (he does many voices, but all badly). I have nothing personal against him, though; I just don't think he's very talented and that Family Guy is brutally unfunny. American Dad, an attempt to make FG for adults (FG is basically a kids' show -- high school and college kids), is even worse.

I suppose some of the anti-MacFarlane sentiment is just backlash against the ridiculous Family Guy cult that elevated a bad show to hit status.

20. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I didnt get a chance to see this, I dont really watch Family Guy either, but I may start. Tonight Ill go home and set up another season pass and hope for a re-run of it.