American Beauty - Looks Horrible

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Bass, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

I have never really noticed edge enhacement on DVDs, probably due to my pathetically small 28" tv. However I recently picked up American Beauty and at times it just looks horrible. Has anyone else noticed massive pixelation on this disc or is it just me? Perhaps something with my player?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Well, which is it, edge enhancement of pixelation? Or both? The film was a bit grainy due to stylistic choices in the cinematography. The transfer was somewhat below the usual Dreamworks standard, but I did not think it was as bad as you seem to think it was. I've seen much worse.

Regards,

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There are several shots in American Beauty that were shot as extreme close-ups of a camcorder viewfinder. The pixelation is part of the scene, not a problem with the transfer. The transfer is excellent overall.

KJP

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

If you did see pixelisation, it's your player, or more likely you've dropped or scratched the disc somehow. Or, its a faulty disc. There isn't any on my copy. Why not try and exchange it where you bought it and see if that helps?

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I thought the problem was artifacts - far more artifacts than most new releases from that era. It didn't look like film grain to me, either.

I thought it was a very mediocre release.

6. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Hmmm I'll have to give it another watch. Specifically the worst I noticed was when Spacey is on the bench and his shoulders just looked jagged. Like a computer image blown up too far. So it's sounding like that's pixelation hence my player. Wouldn't suprise me since my player is not exactly high quality.
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG]

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

It could be overly sharp downconversion on the part of your DVD player. That sometimes makes curved or diagonal lines appear to have a jagged stair-step look. Unfortunately, you'll get some of this with anamorphic discs on a 4x3 display, but some players handle it better than others.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have a 61" 4X3 analog tv and I know that on many anamorphic DVDs, I see NO downconversion artifacts. However, I have a good interlaced player - Panasonic RV80 and my tv was ISF'd which helped also.

So, I think the DVD is to blame.

9. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Well I recently re-watched this movie (About 3 weeks ago) and I get picky when there are problems with the video transfer. I noticed nothing wrong with this transfer that stuck out in my mind. It looked great near as I can remember.

BTW my equipment is a Sony 9000ES DVD player and a Mits 73907 widescreen.

Max

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

My LP copy of American Beauty looks pretty cool hanging on the wall. Decorating with cover art dresses up any room!
    [​IMG]

11. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The transfer is subpar for this studio, much of it due to the fact that not enough of the bit rate was allocated to the video. Still, I am glad to have this disc. Wonderful, if flawed, film.

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Why would anyone have the zoom on AB? :b

14. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I however think the transfer on AB is superb! [​IMG] There is some edge enhancement (hey, this is a Dreamworks release after all), but I found myself not being distracted from it. Besides that. [​IMG]

15. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

16. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

28" is not pathetic. Not everyone is rich.