American Air TransAtlantic Video Entertainment

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by wally, Aug 4, 2003.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

I'm traveling to London next month and Seat Guru lists American 777s as having 14 chanels of in seat video plus AirShow. Anyone know what Airshow is?

2. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    It's a display that shows a map of the route and the plane's current position.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And very cool it is too, in a geeky kind of "must have constant info" kind of way.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What would be really cool is if they could integrate that GPS system with some GIS server such as MS's Terraserver and interlace the position with the satellite images of the terrain. Therefore one could (if one had a window seat) look out the window and possibly identify the lakes and rivers and possibly even highways that you are flying over. That would be very cool!

Jay

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I love those "you are Here" screens on international flights.

Jay: JAL has the next best thing: they have cameras on at least some of their 747s, one pointing forward from the nose and one pointing straight down, you can select these views on the screen (and they put the forward looking camera view up on the cabin movie screen during take off and landing). The straight down one gives you a great view of whatever you are flying over... of course with JAL thats mostly the Pacific ocean, but one time I did get a great view of the Aleutian Islands.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi Charles, I think I've seen something like that on a regional China Air when I was flying from Beijing to Guangzhao... It was a camera on takeoff that was pretty cool. Maybe it's an Asia thing.

Plan B was to populate North American landmarks with giant toothpicks and banners visible from about 10k feet!

Jay

7. wally

wally Second Unit