American Acoustics

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

My brother was drunk and thats the only time me and him ever talk cause he isnt to fond of me i guess and he started going on about his car stereo he had a couple of years ago and eventually we started talking about speakers and how he doesnt care for 5.1 he just likes good sound from fronts. Then i told him about my speakers cause he actually asked! and there Athena AS-F2's so i went on about the specs and i asked him about his speakers. I have never been in his room because he doesnt let people in his room but he has 2 4ft maybe 4 1/2 loudspeakers that i have some memory of when i was a little guy. I've heard his speakers when he listens to music and watches movie even though im not in the room i'll listen for a couple of seconds sometimes and his speakers sound so good they go loud and sound really good completely out of my AS-F2's league, not to mention hugeee pounding bass. So my brother was drunk tonight and after i told him about my speakers and that he'd like 5.1 if he heard it under dolby digital cause he's only ever watched movies on pro logic (we've been watching movies for along time in my living room without dolby digital). Anyway he told me about his speakers and how there 4 Ohms and he said there power handling (i dont know where he read it off of) is 410 watts and from what i hear speakers can handle more then what there power handling is so i guess it can handle alot!. He told me he is using an amp with 200 watts a channel and i go "i didnt know your speakers were that good" and i asked him what he's got in it and he said each speaker has one 12" sub, 3 midranges i dont know the size and a tweeter and he said the company was American Acoustics and there about 20 years old and since he was drunk he kept pretty much repeating the same thing over in different words until he passed out soooooooooo i went on google to try and find a site or something about them and i got nothing, i tried a search on here but couldnt find anything so either he's wrong about the name or nobody has talked about them and google is insane. They were my dad's which blows my mind cause from what i understand he was never into that stuff.

My question is has anybody heard of this company before, is there a site, does anybody own any, what are the speakers i described called, and are they known for being good. There 20 years old, maybe older, they work good....to good, im quite jealous, unfortunately he would never let me listen to them!

2. John Nunet

John Nunet Auditioning

American Acoustics is the same company as MTX. They are very nice (for a garage ,bar or a trailer[​IMG] )

3. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

does that mean good or bad?

4. John S

John S Producer

A true audiphile eval of these speakers, probably would trash them in many catagories.

For the demands of modern HT, and Orchestral / other very dynamic music sources, I am banking they would not be near as good as either of you may think they are.

Then again you never know. But, I'd take them on with my little JBL s38's bookshelfs on critcal evaluation, even on efficiency. (sheer loudness, and audio clarity at those levels)