Amelie UK r2 preorder, any news on r1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald van den Kieboom, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Ronald van den Kieboom

So finally this title is announced at Play.com

Is there any news on a r1 release?

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I don't think its even finished its theatrical run in the States. But its already available in France R2 - since December if I'm not mistaken, and it comes in a deluxe collector's tin, with more extras than you could shake a stick at. [​IMG] (the tin is almost impossible to find, and rather expensive - still, its an incredible film!)

3. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I too am looking forward to the disc hitting R1 as well. A wonderful film that I enjoyed greatly. Usually I shake my head when reading posts like "When is XYZ coming to disc?!?!" while the film is still in the theaters. I just hope that it is released properly, OAR, anamorphic, NOT dubbed, but subtitled, and please keep Fox Lorber’s pan and scan ands off of it. So many wonderful, imported films they have butchered….

Yes, the film is still in North American release. In Canada at least, it is showing in AMC theaters.

4. andrew markworthy

Amelie is still playing in theatres in the bigger cities in the UK, unless I'm mistaken.

The preliminary indications are that the UK R2 version won't have a great many or even any extras (I'm very happy to be corrected on this). In part this may be because the stuff on the French edition is well, in French, and I doubt if it would 'translate' very well, if you see what I mean.

5. Frank L

Frank L Stunt Coordinator

6. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

I managed to snag a copy of the French collector's set as well, and it's fantastic. Since Miramax is behind the US release, we can assume the eventual R1 disc will be overpriced and barebones. Actually, having thought about it, it will probably have two special features: chapter stops and a trailer (the latter if we're really lucky).

7. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

Amelie is being re-released in the UK at the start of February, presumably to get in on some Oscar-lovin' action at cinemas.

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Actually, I think Miramax will do right by the Amelie release for R1.

Don't know why, but for this particular release I'm expecting a 2-disc SE with a great transfer.

9. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Jeff, isn't that set with no English subtitles.. or should I assume you read French?
    I hope by some fluke it does have subs cause I want it [​IMG]

10. Jeff Wilson

Correct, the set has no English subs. It does have French subs (technically closed captioning for the hearing impaired, as they mention sound effects as well sometimes). I know enough French to make sense of the dialogue, and seeing it three times at the local theater didn't hurt either.

As for the extras, I think most would be fine if subtitled; there is an early short film of Jeunet's with Dominique Pinon that features Pinon going through likes and dislikes in the quirky fashion of Amelie, as well as teaser trailers, trailer, screen tests, poster designs, and a good deal more. I just got the set a couple days ago, so I haven't actually gone through all the extras yet. The polaroids of the garden gnome that are included would make a nice extra by themselves, but I don't see any US company springing for something like that.

11. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

12. Jeff Wilson

The pictures are actual polaroid sized shots, and there are also about 8 large lobby card sized photos printed on glossy stock of scenes from the film. And the soundtrack, a poster, a large booklet, and the great tin it comes in. Mainstream US studios are very reluctant to release anything like this, maybe because stores can't stock as many, but it's a great way to draw attention to the product and include some extras that will almost force people to buy the package. Look at Anchor Bay's sets, although none of them are as elaborate as this. I hope that R1 gets a quality release of Amelie, but I'm not holding my breath.