What's new

Amelie - U.S. Specs (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm. It's very irritating. Momentum were going to give us a two-disc SE here in the UK with all those extras (pretty much) plus an english commentary by the director.
Now we just have an edition with commentary. It's an interesting commentary (I'm listening to it on a review copy now) and he does mention that he hopes the audition material will be available to us...
There is also DTS which sounds good to me.
We are expecting Momentum to give us the full SE in the future :angry:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This thread and included Link Removed by HTF's own Michael Perez has me so jealous. I wish that I had kept studying French so I could get this Canadian version. I wonder if there is any chance of this set coming to the US--ever?

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Canadian DVDs are R1 and NTSC so they work on any U.S. player. But it has no English subtitles so you'd better know French.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
where can i buy this canadian dvd? would it work on our dvd players? when is it coming out?
Sam,

As Jean-Michel explained, Canadian DVDs are technically equivalent to US DVDs. The SE DVD has already been released (in limited quantities) in Quebec on April 30, but will be made available to the rest of Canada on May 7. I believe that the only online DVD retailer that is based in Quebec (that will also ship to the USA) is DVDSoon. I spoke with one of their employees, and they confirmed that they had received around 30 copies yesterday.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I just ordered my copy of the limited edition from DVDSoon. It was about $30. An amazing deal for such a great set.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I won't understand the French only version :frowning:
Does anyone have any information about an English[edit:subtitles only!]/US release of a set like this?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Argh, I wanted to order from DVDsoon as well (thanks for the tip, Michael!), but I get server errors when I create my account :frowning:.
-Christian
EDIT: Seems to be a compatibility issue with Opera. It worked fine with Mozilla :emoji_thumbsup:!

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I want the regular French version with subtitles ONLY. NO awful dubbing please.

Gosh this has never been discussed in the OAR discussions. We should edit the lingo to be just O and not OAR...I want the O version with subtitles!!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I just want English subtitles on that Canadian lilmited edition.
Well, here's a solution... buy both! :D
Seriously though, if you buy the limited Canadian version, and the US subtitled version later on, you'll have the best of both worlds. I'm not sure if the US version will have DTS, but I still think that it's worth buying the limited Canadian version for the extras alone.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

I'm trying to justify picking up TVA's version, but since it has no English subtitles, doesn't that mean that all the extras are French-only also?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Marc,
Yes, all of the extras on the TVA version are in French. However, the Miramax/Alliance version will have a lot of these extras translated/subtitled in English (except the commentary).
This is what the English version will definitely NOT have:
- 24-page photo album
- Collector box
- Autographed poster
- 8 postcard-sized photos
- 4 b&w photo-maton pictures
- 8 garden-dwarf photos
- Soundtrack CD
- Wine-pourer
- Little rock :D
In my opinion, $45 (Canadian Dollars) for the SE is worth it just for those extras. Most Criterion DVDs sell for more than this, and don't include this much material.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I went ahead and oredered from DVDsoon. I have never ordered specifically for packaging and extras before. Thank you to Michael Perez for convincing me to do it!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Chris,
I'm glad you blamed me! :D But honestly, for a US consumer, $30 (shipping included) is an incredible deal for this package.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I bought mine friday. It came with a full-size poster which the store gave for free when you bought the set. As far as sound quality goes, this DTS track is incredible! But my only problem with this set is that the packaging sucks! I'm talking about the case that holds the actual disks, not the big boxset. It's just a cardboard thing that folds in 3 with the 2 disks and a slip case that doesn't seem to be glued properly... Probably the worst in my entire collection, but the movie itself ah! Just great!

And also did anyone noticed that it supports P&S-On-The-Fly? Just be sure your DVD Player is set for 4:3 Letterbox or else you lose some picture on the side.

And Michael, do you know any place in Montreal accessible by Metro/Bus that will plastify the poster? The place I know in Longueil cannot do anything larger that 24" and this one seems to be the same size as my Magnolia Poster so it won't fit. They had to send it to their Montreal place instead and since I'm not so sure exactly where they are located (I was not driving when we went) I'd rather go directly to their Montreal Shop instead.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Martin,
Wow, I will definitely try out the P&S feature... they really should've listed that feature somewhere on the box.
I'm not really sure about places that do large-format lamination, but you can try these two places.
  • I'm not sure if they will laminate, but they have a great selection of posters and framing supplies:
    CINE-AFFICHES MONTREAL
    8145 Devonshire
    (a 5-minute walk from Namur metro)
    Montréal QC H4P 2K6
    Tél. : (514) 736-1023
  • Or, you can try Lozeau, near Beaubien metro.
PS: I think that, at this point, someone should rename the title of this thread. We've been talking more about the Canadian release than the actual US specs. :)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
PS: I think that, at this point, someone should rename the title of this thread. We've been talking more about the Canadian release than the actual US specs.
Actually, that's the Quebecian release, not the Canadian Release... Since it's only aimed at Quebecians since we're the only people in Canada who can watch this movie without subs...

One thing about that, when they showed clips of it at the oscars for the nominations, I think I heard the narrator speak in english, so was the narrator dubbed and anything else subbed? Or will the Miramax release have a dubbed track (At a higher bitrate than the original track if they do like they did with Iron Monkey)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks