What's new

"Amelie" question... (1 Viewer)

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, all. Just got done watching the wonderful DVD of "Amelie" for the 2nd time--great fun!!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is familier with the artwork that hangs in Amelie's apartment, especially the picture of the woman holding the little dog and the picture of the girl leading the bear along a river bank. I really like the style of those and the other ones hanging there, but I have no idea who drew them. Does anyone here know? Thanks!

On a related note, it is so fun watching a film like this one a few times--you don't have to concentrate on the subtitles as much, and you can enjoy the rich visuals. I loved it more the 2nd time. We need more films like this one.

tony

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Steeve,
Vey nice! Thanks for the link. I guess I'll just have to keep hunting for answer to my artwork question!

BTW, not knowing any French at all, is the French spoken in Quebec much different from that spoken in France? Or is it just a different accent?

love the sig.

tony

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ha! I am sure Steve will jump in here and say otherwise ;), but they have an absolutely dreadful accent! And some of their expressions which are direct translation from english (for obvious reasons) sound really strange... Some of them are downright weird, period. I still can't get over "j'ecoute la tele", which is supposed to mean "I am waching TV", but litterally means "I am listening to TV" :eek: !!!
My sister has been living there for the last couple of years...
--
Holadem

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...is the French spoken in Quebec much different from that spoken in France? Or is it just a different accent?"
...it's 'different' to French French to such a degree that Suisse romande TV (the French-language Swiss TV channel) has been known to show bi-canal versions of original French-Canadian films (left channel = French dub, right channel = original Français canathien)...
...French DVD fans can easily tell - and are frequently annoyed by - American movies that have been dubbed-into-French and/or subtitled in Canada, not in France - French idioms being different from French-Canadian ones...
...I guess you could say that Canadian French relates to 'standard' French as spoken in France in about the same way as Brazilian Portuguese does to 'standard' Portuguese, Sicilian dialect to 'standard' Italian, Afrikaans to Dutch (except I hasten to add that Afrikaans is officially a language, not some dialect)...
. . . :D . . .

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I still can't get over "j'ecoute la tele", which is supposed to mean "I am waching TV", but litterally means "I am listening to TV"
That's true! I never thought about that. Actually, we say both. "J'écoute la TV" and "Je regarde la TV", which literally means "I'm listening the TV" and "I'm watching the TV". They both have the same meaning for us.

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
A-ha!! To answer my own question: the artwork hanging in Amelies's apartment is done by a German artist, Michael Sowa. I just did a little research and came up with it... but I had to ask here first, you know!

Anyway, just thought you'd all want to know...

tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks