Amelie DVD Audio Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisP, Jun 11, 2002.

1. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

I've been trying to find out if the Region 1 U.S. version will have an English audio sound track? I've read the specifications for this DVD at various websites and had gotten conflicting information. Does anyone know for sure if there will be a dubbed English option on this DVD?

Thanks

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I haven't heard anything about a dub for Amelie being recorded. I imagine that it'll be French with English subtitles, which is exactly what I want.

But sorry, no, I don't have any official information.

3. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

No English dub.
    From Amazon:

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

DTS? Sweet!

5. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

6. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

7. DennisP

To be honest..I really didn't care if there was one or not. The DVD profiler indicated there would be one...and some of the sites I visited said.....no. So it was more curiousity than anything else. Always bugs me when I run across discrepencies.

Another one that bothered me was the regarding the movie "The Right Stuff".....some one wrote that the DVD version of this movie was 153 minutes long vs. the actual 193 minute release. As far as I can tell..the DVD is 193 minutes long.

8. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    Not that I'm complaining, but since when is it 2 discs?

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Dennis,
    Don't trust DVDProfiller for specs on movies that have yet to be released, and sometimes not on released movies either. All of the information in DVDProfiller is user contributed, so wires often get crossed, wrong data gets entered, etc...

Get your specs from the big review sites, DVDFile and Digital Bits for example. I also find the early specs up on DVDEmpire to be fairly accurate. Amazon will often post whatever the heck they feel like.

10. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

11. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I was glad to see the Amelie DVD did not have an English dub at all.
    I hate dubs; I see no point in them at all. Why let something like an entirely new soundtrack get in the way of the film? Other countries watch most of our movies with subtitles. Why not America?
    I have one friend who can piss me off instantly by saying that he "doesn't 'read' movies". I can't comprehend missing out on the infinite amount of great foreign films just because of subtitles!
    Sorry for the rant; I know this has been debated a thousand times before, it's just one thing about film I feel strongly about.
    Another reason I'm happy for absence of an English dub, is that if my roomate (who is usually pro-dub, anti-sub) watches the movie, he will have to watch it with subtitles. I have a dream, that if more mainstream movie watchers give foreign films with subtitles a chance, then they will see advantage of having the original soundtrack intact.

12. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Some people may prefer having an English dub on a foreign language DVD (I really don't care myself since I prefer to have the original sound). I see no reason not to include one if it's available for those that prefer to view a film that way.

13. DennisP

Cameron,
    I for one do not mind subtitles in movies...however my Mother has failing vision. She can watch a TV and see most of what's going on as far as action goes..but can't really read sub-titles unless they are very large (and most are not). In her case, a dubbed track would be nice....as far as the lip sync goes..for her...it wouldn't make a difference as she can't see the mouths move anyway. The fact that a movie has a dubbed sound track available shouldn't make a difference to anyone other than those who wish to use it.[​IMG]

14. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor