What's new

AMD certified Power supplies.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Alright, in my attempt at figuring out what the hell is messed up with my new system. I have checked AMD's website (cryptic as it is... [sarcasm] Give that web designer a medal! [/sarcasm]) and it seems the PSU that I got is "approved" for Athlons up to 1.1 gig. Now I know somebody who had a 1.4gig Athlon, same mobo, same power supply said that his mobo was dead too, much like mine and he fixed it by getting a 340W PSU. Now since my AMD is a 1.0gig and I'm that close to the upper range, I'm wondering if that might be the culprit, you how manufacturing specs can vary. I'm wondering if the new mobo is DOA, it might not be the mobo's fault and perhaps I should get a higher wattage PSU. Any experiences to share with me?
Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't be the problem. The easiest way to check would be o remove all cards but the video card and go from there.
I know that would involve borrowing a NON scsi harddrive, but it's worth a try.
That combination shouldn't get even close to using 200 watts.
Of course there is something to say about voltage spikes, but I use a NON approved PS on a Duron 750, with CD,DVD,Video card,sound card,and modem with no problems.
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I hope not... Actually I had it down to the very bare bones, like the motherboard, the RAM, and the CPU (and the PC speaker of course, which I tried both ways since the instructions didn't label a +/- on the pin layout.
Actually, the one guy who I found at anandtech.com who had the EXACT combination of stuff like the same Enlight case with the same 300W PSU, the SAME motherboard, except he had a 1.4gig CPU. His problem was the PSU and he simply fixed it by getting a larger one. I'm not sure if he checked the board without any cards before he got a new PSU but he said he fixed the problem that I'm getting simply by upgrading the PSU. Maybe I'll ask him...
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yippee, newegg has received my stuff and will ship the new one out overnight on Monday... and I got free generic thermal paste too, oooohhhh... Now I hope it is the motherboard and not the PSU.
wink.gif

Jay
------------------
HUGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
My other PC is a 1.4GHz Thunderbird, (2) hard drives, GF3, CDRW, (2) DVDROMS, etc and it ran fine with an Antec 300w powersupply. If you have anything less (component wise) then 300w is adequate. However, more wattage won't hurt anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks